Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rhodes signed with Radiers! (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3461)

Jughead10 03-09-2007 10:52 AM

Rhodes signed with Radiers!

NFL Network is apparently reporting that RB Dominic Rhodes signed a two year deal with the Raiders.

blkwdw13 03-09-2007 11:02 AM

dominic rhodes has signed a 2 year deal with the raider worth 7.5 million

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

bored of education 03-09-2007 11:04 AM

wow, smartest deal yet. good for al

Sveen 03-09-2007 11:07 AM

Great signing by the Raiders. Well, will it be CJ or will it be JaMarcus? ;)

Jughead10 03-09-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 203452)
$3.75 million a year for a part-time back is "smart"? only in raiderland.

I would have done that deal for the Giants. With all the cap room available and deals other players are getting, that is a good deal.

Geo 03-09-2007 11:10 AM

Best of luck to ya, Dom. Your tough running in the playoffs helped the Colts get to and win the Super Bowl.

This likely opens the door for DeDe Dorsey aka 3D.

Windy 03-09-2007 11:15 AM

i'll take it. looking at some of the other contracts given out i'll be ok with it.

NY+Giants=NYG 03-09-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 203460)
it's still not a good deal. he's making more than fulltime, proven running backs and he'll still only be splitting time with jordan (unless i've missed something in raiderland). i just don't see how a nearly $4m a year contract is smart, especially since it's all in two years, meaning rhodes will most likely get all of it.

Yeah I agree, not a good deal, but he must be going to get more PT than Jordan, to have made that. I remember reaidng somewhere money, and PT would influence his decision.

toonsterwu 03-09-2007 11:19 AM

I like the deal. Sure ... it's a bit high. But relative to the market, it's not bad. Furthermore, I like the 2 years. Sure, he doesn't have much wear and tear on him, but he still is 28 anyway you dice it, and committing long term for a guy, especially someone coming off a DUI, wasn't worth it. He should form a solid RB tandem with Lamont Jordan that could perhaps prove useful in protecting a QB. His running style meshes fairly well with Jordan's as well.

For Rhodes, the 2 year deal makes sense, as it allows him to establish his value again in 2 years, and considering the lack of wear and tear, if he has two good seasons, teams could be intrigued enough to give him a solid deal at age 30.

flave1969 03-09-2007 11:20 AM

Just another reflection of the money changing hands right now. At least the SB isn't likely too be big.

evershot 03-09-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 203460)
it's still not a good deal. he's making more than fulltime, proven running backs and he'll still only be splitting time with jordan (unless i've missed something in raiderland). i just don't see how a nearly $4m a year contract is smart, especially since it's all in two years, meaning rhodes will most likely get all of it.

Have you seen the amount of money being thrown around this off season? Two years for 4 million and the fact that the contract is not completely guarunteed? That is good current market value for what amounts to a test drive on a player that can still contribute for your team and who knows he may out perform Jordan next year making the deal even more reasonable.

bearsfan_51 03-09-2007 11:36 AM

I'm more interested in how the Colts plan on replacing him, or rather, how high they are willing to draft their complentary back. Addai does not strike me as a guy that can carry a load by himself. A poor man's Ronnie Brown if you will, not that there's anything wrong with that.

toonsterwu 03-09-2007 11:45 AM

I expect the Colts to look for a quicker back to pair with Addai's downhill. Personally, I think, if asked, Addai could handle the full time load, but more and more, teams are shifting to 2 back schemes. I think Addai wore down as the year progressed, which is understandable for a rookie.

Looking at some of the UFA's out there, some names that might mesh well with Addai: Derrick Blaylock, Travis Minor,

They might add another back in the draft, but I wouldn't expect it until day 2.

They could look for another bigger, downhill type as well, where there are other options, but my guess is they'll look for a quicker complement to Addai. If they looked for a bigger guy, names like Anthony Thomas, Artose Pinner, Correll Buckhalter and so forth could enter the equation.

bearsfan_51 03-09-2007 11:46 AM

Ron Dayne baby.

Vikes99ej 03-09-2007 11:50 AM

I think the Colts will replace him in the later rounds, say 3-5. I think Addai can handle a bulk of the carries. The Patriots are in almost the exact situation with Maroney, but I think Maroney needs to share with someone.

NIN1984 03-09-2007 12:07 PM

Not bad I thought he would want a lot more

slightlyaraiderfan 03-09-2007 12:07 PM

Wow, we actually signed someone.

NIN1984 03-09-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan (Post 203540)
Wow, we actually signed someone.

Yeah plus Raiders really needed to update at RB

JoeMontainya 03-09-2007 12:20 PM

Raiders better use there first 3 picks on OL.

JustJoe2k5 03-09-2007 12:24 PM

Can you really get excited about this move?

We saw what Edgerrin James did without an offensive line last year, we should expect the same from Dominic Rhodes in Oakland. Don't really see this as much of an upgrade, there is a bigger problem in Oakland than the level of talent at runningback.

bearsfan_51 03-09-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 (Post 203572)
Can you really get excited about this move?

We saw what Edgerrin James did without an offensive line last year, we should expect the same from Dominic Rhodes in Oakland. Don't really see this as much of an upgrade, there is a bigger problem in Oakland than the level of talent at runningback.

So they should try to acquire no talent? They needed a compliment to Jordan. They have it. Does it solve all their problems? No.

One of Edge's biggest problems, IMO, was that after he got paid he stopped giving a ****. He was always a burnout, but worked hard in Indy so that he could get that big signing bonus that he had been holding out for. Obviously being in the Colts system helps, but I don't think one could argue that Edge in his prime couldn't have done well anywhere.

Severe Punishment 03-09-2007 01:41 PM

all the Raider fans hoping for AD....does this satisfy the RB position ?
A part time guy in Indy (a very underated line...never got the pub for Edge)
or is this signing merely a reason now to cut Jordan and have Rhodes / Fargas be "the guys" ....this is going to get interesting.

Number 10 03-09-2007 01:44 PM

I am upset the Giants did not go through with that deal.

Good sign for the Raiders.

slightlyaraiderfan 03-09-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severe Punishment (Post 203741)
all the Raider fans hoping for AD....does this satisfy the RB position ?
A part time guy in Indy (a very underated line...never got the pub for Edge)
or is this signing merely a reason now to cut Jordan and have Rhodes / Fargas be "the guys" ....this is going to get interesting.

Jordan recently restructured his contract, so right now it looks like he and Rhodes will be splitting carries, with Fargas coming in sparringly.

TheChampIsHere 03-09-2007 01:54 PM

I feel like we are overpaying for him a little bit, but its only a 2 year contract, so it wont come back to bite us really. He comes in and helps our offense and running game for a couple years and then we send him on his way. Hopefully we have new RB who can be a star by then (McFadden maybe?) Our backfield needed help and Rhodes is the kind of back we needed so I think it is a solid signing that can help this team in the short term and not hurt is in the long term. Good to see some activity....now if we can just get a TE!!! With all the TEs on the market im really dissapointed we didnt get one. Im hoping for Pollard now, not that he is all that great but he'd be a major upgrade over that bum Courtney Anderson.