Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Desean Jackson (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34873)

soybean 08-13-2009 12:40 AM

Desean Jackson
 
My favorite player in the league so I decided to do a little research on how he's been doing.

per Philly.com
Quote:

The best player in Eagles camp, through a week and change of full-squad workouts, has been No. 10.

per Lesean McCoy

Quote:

He's by far the best wide receiver I've ever played with or against. I think it's his heart, man. He wants to be great, he wants to be the best. You can see it in the way he runs his routes, the way he comes out every day ready to work. He's one of the hardest-working guys on the team
per RotoWorld
Quote:

Eagles coach Andy Reid says DeSean Jackson is "ready to take the next step."
Everyone else in the world has heaped praise on Jackson; Reid is just the latest. Few players have created as much buzz as Jackson in the preseason. While the Eagles are known for spreading the ball around, they didn't spread it when they had Terrell Owens and it's sounding like they may not this year with Jackson.
per RotoWorld
Quote:

DeSean Jackson and Donovan McNabb have picked up right where they left off before Jackson's minor knee tweak.
"Can't emphasize it enough. McNabb and Jackson have looked completely in sync all camp," was the Inquirer's tweet. McNabb hasn't had this kind of chemistry with one receiver since the first Terrell Owens year. The hype-machine is in overdrive for Jackson so you'll likely have to reach for him if you want his upside on draft day.
per ESPN
Quote:

Second-year receiver DeSean Jackson has been dominant in camp. The Eagles have a talented secondary, but not even All-Pro Asante Samuel has come close to covering Jackson.
per ESPN
Quote:

Right now, though, it's Jackson who's drawing the most attention in camp. He's so quick off the line that no one can get a jam on him.
per ESPN
Quote:

Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has been unstoppable at training camp.

soybean 08-13-2009 12:41 AM

You have no IDEA how good it's going to feel to be able to say "I told you so"

D-Unit 08-13-2009 01:34 PM

Also, Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson suffered a hyperextended left knee Saturday when he got tangled up with cornerback Asante Samuel at practice at training camp. Jackson was carted off the field... Just sayin'. He's not built to last. haha.

If he's just a deep threat, then I really like him. But I don't think he's a complete WR. He's barely 85 pounds in a soaked shirt. ha. I have yet to see him take a route across the middle. ...and he's not the ideal red zone target. Does he, can he block? I think he can still be a very very good WR as a deep threat, but still just a 1 trick pony.

Maybe he will prove me wrong. Should be exciting to watch him develop.

Thumper 08-13-2009 04:36 PM

Yeah, he did injure his knee but he was back out the next day doing more of the same.

He is just a deep threat? No, he didn't go deep often last year. He doesn't run routes over the middle? I saw him run routes over the middle every game. 85 pounds? Maybe closer to 185 pounds now. Yes, he can block but he's not the best but he does give his all.

You will be eating crow, and I'll call it now, he is and will be better than Roy Williams this season.

FlyingElvis 08-13-2009 04:41 PM

I loved him coming into last year's draft and still think he'll prove all the doubters wrong. He runs all routes, tries to block (though at 185 is not likely to earhole many guys ala Hines Ward) and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

What's not to like?

I'm also quite happy with the prospect of keeping him for a 9th round pick in one of my $$$ leagues. Here's hoping those of us who expected good things are right. A WR2 in round 9 is a total steal. If he really does turn into DMac's true #1 WR that would be great for me.

D-Unit 08-13-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 1754618)
Yeah, he did injure his knee but he was back out the next day doing more of the same.

He is just a deep threat? No, he didn't go deep often last year. He doesn't run routes over the middle? I saw him run routes over the middle every game. 85 pounds? Maybe closer to 185 pounds now. Yes, he can block but he's not the best but he does give his all.

You will be eating crow, and I'll call it now, he is and will be better than Roy Williams this season.

Who cares about Roy Williams? Our offense w/out TO will see the ball distributed much better. Guys like Miles Austin, Sam Hurd, Martellus Bennett and even the RBs will catch a lot of passes from Romo. Roy can join the party, but he's far from a traditional #1 WR target.

I loved Desean leading up to the draft. I even like him now. But to call him a diamond when he's really a spade is just not acurate.

He's a burner, not a possession WR. It's nice to hype up guys, but I swear it sounds like he's the next Jerry Rice in here.

Flyboy 08-13-2009 07:04 PM

Was easily BY FAR one of my favorite prospects in last year's draft. I'll be the first one to say "I told ya so".

Thumper 08-13-2009 07:09 PM

Remember when everyone wanted Limas Sweed. Lol, look at it now, DeSean is the next Steve Smith and Limas had 6 catches...

D-Unit 08-13-2009 07:17 PM

I'd still take Devin Thomas ahead of Desean, but it won't show up on the stat sheet with Campbell at QB. I'd take Desean over Donnie Avery though. ...and I like him more than Royal too.

eaglesalltheway 08-14-2009 07:46 AM

Lets put it this way, the hype machine is in full swing, but DeSean has done more than enough to get it there. He is doing just about everything well. As far as him not going over the middle, D-Unit, (not trying to be offensive here, but it is what it is) you are talking out of your ass. Either that, or you simply haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I can't tell you how many times he'd go over the middle and he'd get absolutely hammered, and I'd just hope he'd get back up. And every time he did, though sometimes slower than others. He was always right back in the action though.

As far as blocking goes, we know he'll never be a beast blocking WR, that's just the way it is. But it isn't due to a lack of effort, he is out there all the time downfield, doing whatever he can to get in the way or slow down defneders, and was crucial to a lot of big plays las tyear in extending them further, or just enough to get us a TD. An example of that is Brian Westbrook on the screen last year against the Vikings.

DeSean really does do it all, short, intermediate and deep routes on the outsides or through the middle of the defense, as well as running the ball. I expect big big things from him this season, and as long as he is healthy, I am almost certain I will not be let down...

DMWSackMachine 08-14-2009 06:02 PM

He is the second coming of Steve Smith.

85/1200/8 this year. Book it.


And **** you guys for getting him.

camp_eagles 08-14-2009 06:11 PM

how amazing was Desean's end around yesterday

Thumper 08-14-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp_eagles (Post 1756219)
how amazing was Desean's end around yesterday

He turned a 5 yard loss into a 9 yard gain, people say you can't do stuff in the NFL that you did in college but DeSean is so quick and fast that he still can. DeSean is great.

eaglesalltheway 08-15-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine (Post 1756209)
He is the second coming of Steve Smith.

85/1200/8 this year. Book it.


And **** you guys for getting him.

Wait a minute, back the **** up... We got a Cowboys fan in here declaring this...

'nuff said.

u8pp 08-22-2009 11:40 PM

Dude's going to be a superstar. I remember being heckled and outcast on another site because I said they should take him instead of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas. Wow, talk about fail.

Caddy 08-24-2009 06:12 AM

Was easily my favourite player of last years draft. I was so disappointed that the Buc's got Dexter instead of Desean. I wish we'd just taken him in the 1st round.

eaglesalltheway 08-24-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u8pp (Post 1765498)
Dude's going to be a superstar. I remember being heckled and outcast on another site because I said they should take him instead of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas. Wow, talk about fail.

I too wanted Sweed, or even Kelly over DeSean, and man was I wrong...

D-Unit 08-24-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1755708)
Lets put it this way, the hype machine is in full swing, but DeSean has done more than enough to get it there. He is doing just about everything well. As far as him not going over the middle, D-Unit, (not trying to be offensive here, but it is what it is) you are talking out of your ass. Either that, or you simply haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I can't tell you how many times he'd go over the middle and he'd get absolutely hammered, and I'd just hope he'd get back up. And every time he did, though sometimes slower than others. He was always right back in the action though.

As far as blocking goes, we know he'll never be a beast blocking WR, that's just the way it is. But it isn't due to a lack of effort, he is out there all the time downfield, doing whatever he can to get in the way or slow down defneders, and was crucial to a lot of big plays las tyear in extending them further, or just enough to get us a TD. An example of that is Brian Westbrook on the screen last year against the Vikings.

DeSean really does do it all, short, intermediate and deep routes on the outsides or through the middle of the defense, as well as running the ball. I expect big big things from him this season, and as long as he is healthy, I am almost certain I will not be let down...

I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

If you keep running him across the middle, you'll break him. DO it.

D-Unit 08-24-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1766805)
I too wanted Sweed, or even Kelly over DeSean, and man was I wrong...

Yeah, I dunno why you would ever think that. Sweed and Kelly over Desean??? Devin Thomas I could see. Sweed and Kelly.. bleh.

Da-Phins 08-24-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 1766892)
I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

If you keep running him across the middle, you'll break him. DO it.

:rolleyes:

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.

eaglesalltheway 08-24-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 1766892)
I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

If you keep running him across the middle, you'll break him. DO it.

I'm not the one making decisions, so maybe you should send this to Reid...

You said he doesn't do these things, i.e. going across the middle, when there is plenty of proof that he has and does. Yeah he may not be the best blocker, but he does all he can do and has successfully gotten in the way enough to help break some plays for us. That is all we can hope for. DeSean can be a decent Red Zone target, though will never be a good one, I agree there, he just needs to be used better, implementing guick slants.

As for his inability to beat the jam, he's made tons of progress there, he won't overpower many CBs, but he uses his quickness in both his feet and hands to beat it. I want people to jam him, because he was beating the jam all camp and so far in the preseason.

The fact is, you said things that aren't true.
You said he doesn't go over the middle. He does.

He isn't physical, I agree, no one said he was.

Problems with the jam? Jam him, I dare you. (lol)

Blocking is not good, no one said it would be, but his effort has certainly helped us a lot

No one said he was a great red-zone target...

There are very few truly complete WRs in this league, but DeSean runs all the different routes asked of him, he is a complete WR in the fact that he can run any route asked of him, and contribute in many aspects of the game.

You will almost never find a receiver who is very good in these three aspects of play: Receiving, blocking, and special teams. Hell, even our best WRs can only do two of these things, and DeSean is very good as a receiver and a returner. He isn't a great blocker, no one will debate that, but he has helped us in some plays with his ability to get in the way, for lack of a better word. My point for bringing this up... The greatest receivers in the NFL still weren't great in all three of these areas, but were great in at least two. In no way am I saying DeSean is comparable to the greats at the position right now, but as it stands at this moment, he is both a great returner and a great receiver, not to the level of the great, but he has the talent to further improve in all these areas.

I personally would love to know how DeSean is a one trick pony...

eaglesalltheway 08-24-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da-Phins (Post 1766918)
:rolleyes:

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.

Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.

Da-Phins 08-24-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1766925)
Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.

Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.

eaglesalltheway 08-24-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da-Phins (Post 1766939)
Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.

His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.

Da-Phins 08-24-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1766945)
His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.

Alot of fans and local media think that Pennington is holding Ginn back from big plays due to Pennington's lack of arm strength.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.