Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2010 Eagles Draft Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35261)

bsaza2358 09-08-2009 12:21 PM

2010 Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

Post your comments and thoughts in this thread!

eaglesalltheway 09-08-2009 02:29 PM

Right now LB, particularly WLB, as well as FS and personally, I think QB should look to be addressed early. I think we have capable starters in these positions, and capable backups, but upgrades could be used IMO. Depending on the DE situation, I could see that as an early need as well.

bsaza2358 09-08-2009 02:39 PM

I see DE as a definite draft need. QB may or may not be addressed, but I think we're okay for the most part at RB, TE, WR, CB. LB is possible, and we always are a threat to go OLine. DLine depth is needed overall.

eaglesalltheway 09-08-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 1784501)
I see DE as a definite draft need. QB may or may not be addressed, but I think we're okay for the most part at RB, TE, WR, CB. LB is possible, and we always are a threat to go OLine. DLine depth is needed overall.

I can see the team not going with QB at all, especially if Kolb doesn't do anything too horrible in any action he may see, but as far as positions go...

QB: Could be a fairly significant need or none at all.
RB: Not a need at all.
FB: Not a need.
TE: Depth may be needed, even with Ingram coming back.
WR: Not a need.
T: Maybe for depth, not a huge need at all.
G: Not a big need, once again, maybe depth.
C: Depth again at least.
DT: Depth is needed.
DE: At least depth is needed.
WLB: If not a starter, depth is needed.
MLB: Not a need.
SLB: A fairly significant need if Gocong leaves in FA.
CB: Not a major need, but depth at the 4th or 5th spot is needed.
FS: Could be a major need if none of our young guys step up.
SS: If Sean Jones leaves, depth will be needed
K: At least competition for Akers.
P: See above

Todd Bertuzzi 09-08-2009 03:50 PM

Top 3 needs as of now: OLB, DE and FS. QB could be a need depending on who's available when we pick seeing as it's getting time to groom a replacement for McNabb and Kolb doesn't look like that replacement. TE could also be a need depending on how Celek does.

eaglesalltheway 09-08-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1784603)
Top 3 needs as of now: OLB, DE and FS. QB could be a need depending on who's available when we pick seeing as it's getting time to groom a replacement for McNabb and Kolb doesn't look like that replacement. TE could also be a need depending on how Celek does.

Well I have full faith in Celek, and Abiamiri, so I look at DE and TE a little differently, though I definitely see those psotions as needs, but for different reasons and to a different extent. OLB is going to be a need. I honestly hope they re-sign Gocong, as he is an underrated memeber of the defense. FS is a need for sure if things don't work out...

Todd Bertuzzi 09-08-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1784607)
Well I have full faith in Celek, and Abiamiri, so I look at DE and TE a little differently, though I definitely see those psotions as needs, but for different reasons and to a different extent. OLB is going to be a need. I honestly hope they re-sign Gocong, as he is an underrated memeber of the defense. FS is a need for sure if things don't work out...

I have full faith in Celek as well. As far as Abiamiri's concerned I have faith in his ability as well, but injuries are starting to become a concern. Imagine if we could add a top DE like a Brandon Graham or Greg Hardy to play opposite Cole... I know Sniper's with me on this one :).

Thumper 09-08-2009 04:32 PM

Right now I believe that the top three needs are the lbs, de and te.

I think that Akeem Jordan and Stewart bradley are overrated, and Chris gocong and Omar Gaither are free agents which leaves the eagles with crappy depth and mediocre starters.

Jaquan Parker needs to go and I think hat Darren Howard is in hisast year dutto his age, abiamiri and clemons are all potential right now and the eagles really need a de opposite Trent cole.

And as much as I believe that celek is a decent starter the depth at te is awful.

eaglesalltheway 09-09-2009 07:25 AM

I don't think you can really say Jordan is overrated, considering expectations from him are to be just about an average starter. Those are about right IMO. And you can continue to think Bradley is overrated, but when he comes back and gets back into things after he recovers from his injury, you'll see what we're all talking about, though I honestly don't know why you can't see it based off of his play last year. He covers the run very, very well, is a decent blitzer, and is good in coverage. He has it all from a skill standpoint, and was one of our leaders on defense until the injury.

Just because both Gocong and Gaither are FAs doesn't mean that both will leave for sure. We need to see how this pans out, as the team has showed that when someone is worth re-signing, they will do it.

As for DE, we at least need another DE to contribute to our rotation, and if either of the DEs you mention leaving are gone next year, we will see DE addressed relatively early, and very early depending on how the team feels about Abiamiri. Clemons doesn't really factor into the decision about wanting to draft a starter, he is a reserve rotational guy anyway.

As far as TE goes, our depth is awful this year. If Ingram can recover, our depth at TE becomes instantly better. He really has an elite set of skills, and if he comes back healthy, he will be our #2 TE and will see a lot of action. We will need a #3 TE, but that is it. The only way TE becomes aserious need IMO is if Celek can't play at a relatively high level and Ingram can't play next year.

eaglesalltheway 09-09-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1784615)
I have full faith in Celek as well. As far as Abiamiri's concerned I have faith in his ability as well, but injuries are starting to become a concern. Imagine if we could add a top DE like a Brandon Graham or Greg Hardy to play opposite Cole... I know Sniper's with me on this one :).

If its Brandon Graham, I am all for it, lol. Greg Hardy too, but I particularly love Graham.

D-Unit 09-09-2009 03:08 PM

Curious fantasy question. Better year... Beanie Wells or Shady McCoy?

Todd Bertuzzi 09-09-2009 03:36 PM

If anything I would say Bradley is still underrated. As Eagles fans we know how good he is, but this year was really supposed to be his coming out party where he established himself as one of the leagues top 4-3 MLBs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 1785841)
Curious fantasy question. Better year... Beanie Wells or Shady McCoy?

I'd say Beanie for sure right now, but if Westbrook goes down early I'd probably take Shady.

Also what would you guys think of Gresham in the first round. Obviously the fo would be tentative to pull the trigger especially after what happened with Ingram this year, but I really like Gresham and I hope we would at least consider him.

eaglesalltheway 09-09-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1785864)
If anything I would say Bradley is still underrated. As Eagles fans we know how good he is, but this year was really supposed to be his coming out party where he established himself as one of the leagues top 4-3 MLBs.

I'd say Beanie for sure right now, but if Westbrook goes down early I'd probably take Shady.

Also what would you guys think of Gresham in the first round. Obviously the fo would be tentative to pull the trigger especially after what happened with Ingram this year, but I really like Gresham and I hope we would at least consider him.

Agreed about Bradley.

Agreed about the RBs

It all depends on how Celek does. If he shows he can be a good starter for us, I say no, definitely not. But if he struggles (which I doubt he will, unless he gets injured) then I say we definitely consider it at least.

Thumper 09-09-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1785567)
I don't think you can really say Jordan is overrated, considering expectations from him are to be just about an average starter. Those are about right IMO. And you can continue to think Bradley is overrated, but when he comes back and gets back into things after he recovers from his injury, you'll see what we're all talking about, though I honestly don't know why you can't see it based off of his play last year. He covers the run very, very well, is a decent blitzer, and is good in coverage. He has it all from a skill standpoint, and was one of our leaders on defense until the injury.

Just because both Gocong and Gaither are FAs doesn't mean that both will leave for sure. We need to see how this pans out, as the team has showed that when someone is worth re-signing, they will do it.

I think Stewart Bradley is overrated because he is not fantastic in coverage and he isn't a big run stuffer like Trot was. I think he is above average in all phases of the game but he doesn't really stand out in any part of the game IMO. Yeah he is good but I think there is better out there. I say he is overrated because everyone and their mother said he was really underrated and that he was going to become an elite linebacker this year. Some SI writer even had him as an all-pro last year. I like him and personally I will take back any Joe Mays > Stewart Bradley statements because with Stew gone you really notice his absence, but he is not a playmaker, not a great run stuffer and he isn't going to cover a TE or RB all game one on one.

Plus the Eagles do not have a history of keeping linebackers, look at everyone they let go over the years, Jeremiah Trotter, Takeo Spikes, Carlos Emmons, Dhani Jones just to name a few. And looking back on the Eagles starters there was always at least one new starter each new year, linebackers are the least important part of the Eagles scheme and it shows with how the Eagles value them.

But I think that it is about time that is changed, the Eagles are probably IMO going to let both players in Gocong and Gaither walk and that is fine as long as they can upgrade them. The free agent class is loaded with line backer studs like DJ Williams and Derrick Thomas to name two of the more prominent names. And the draft class is stacked with athletic WLBs like Weatherspoon, Dekoda Watson and Navarro Bowman.

I just think the group needs an overhaul because in the pre-season they looked pretty bad, and I don't think we can blame it on a vanilla defense because they were still charged with covering and stuffing the run which they didn't do great at, any of them.

eaglesalltheway 09-09-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 1786078)
I think Stewart Bradley is overrated because he is not fantastic in coverage and he isn't a big run stuffer like Trot was. I think he is above average in all phases of the game but he doesn't really stand out in any part of the game IMO. Yeah he is good but I think there is better out there. I say he is overrated because everyone and their mother said he was really underrated and that he was going to become an elite linebacker this year. Some SI writer even had him as an all-pro last year. I like him and personally I will take back any Joe Mays > Stewart Bradley statements because with Stew gone you really notice his absence, but he is not a playmaker, not a great run stuffer and he isn't going to cover a TE or RB all game one on one.

Plus the Eagles do not have a history of keeping linebackers, look at everyone they let go over the years, Jeremiah Trotter, Takeo Spikes, Carlos Emmons, Dhani Jones just to name a few. And looking back on the Eagles starters there was always at least one new starter each new year, linebackers are the least important part of the Eagles scheme and it shows with how the Eagles value them.

But I think that it is about time that is changed, the Eagles are probably IMO going to let both players in Gocong and Gaither walk and that is fine as long as they can upgrade them. The free agent class is loaded with line backer studs like DJ Williams and Derrick Thomas to name two of the more prominent names. And the draft class is stacked with athletic WLBs like Weatherspoon, Dekoda Watson and Navarro Bowman.

I just think the group needs an overhaul because in the pre-season they looked pretty bad, and I don't think we can blame it on a vanilla defense because they were still charged with covering and stuffing the run which they didn't do great at, any of them.

Bradley is excellent in run coverage, not above average, excellent. He is above average as a blitzer, and is a leader. His coverage is good, not outstanding, yet, but he is very good in coverage. When his man does make the catch, there are almost no yards allowed after the catch.

I personally would be more interested in some of the rookies than either of those FAs... just my opinion though.

They looked bad in the preseason because they were doing a vanilla defense. I'll agree you can't blame it on that though, but missing the best part of that unit in Bradley will make vanilla defenses suffer.

And not to sound like a dick or anything, but if everyone is saying all these great things about him, there has to be a reason why, you know what I mean?

superman8456 09-10-2009 09:49 PM

Defensive tackle is a major need imo. We have three solid guys, but I think we need one more first day pick used on this position. Depth is sorely needed and I would like to see Pattersen replaced.

Linebacker is weird for me. I would like us to take the best one available with our first rounder. That means someone like Brandon Spikes, Rolondo McClain, or Sean Weatherspoon.

eaglesalltheway 09-11-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman8456 (Post 1787677)
Defensive tackle is a major need imo. We have three solid guys, but I think we need one more first day pick used on this position. Depth is sorely needed and I would like to see Pattersen replaced.

Linebacker is weird for me. I would like us to take the best one available with our first rounder. That means someone like Brandon Spikes, Rolondo McClain, or Sean Weatherspoon.

I wouldn't say it is a major need, we are in need of a fourth DT, or at least a solid rotational guy, and we can get one of them on day 2...

I would love either of those LBs...

Thumper 09-11-2009 12:19 AM

I know that most of you remember my post on how Mike Patterson was awful last year. Well that was last year and the year before he was arguably a pro-bowler, this year from what I saw he looks like he is doing better. So we shall see about DT being a need because either it will be a early day 2 need or it will be a late round need depending on his performance. Don't forget about Trevor Laws who is perfectly capable of stepping in at UT.

eaglesalltheway 09-12-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 1788072)
I know that most of you remember my post on how Mike Patterson was awful last year. Well that was last year and the year before he was arguably a pro-bowler, this year from what I saw he looks like he is doing better. So we shall see about DT being a need because either it will be a early day 2 need or it will be a late round need depending on his performance. Don't forget about Trevor Laws who is perfectly capable of stepping in at UT.

I'm def not forgetting about Laws, which is why I don't see DT as a major need right now.

Todd Bertuzzi 09-12-2009 04:50 PM

It's nice to have a solid 4 man rotation at DT, but it's not a first day need atm.

Go_Eagles77 09-12-2009 04:54 PM

Trade future picks if need be.

eaglesalltheway 09-12-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1789724)
It's nice to have a solid 4 man rotation at DT, but it's not a first day need atm.

Agreed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 (Post 1789742)

Trade future picks if need be.

Hahaha, if only...

Todd Bertuzzi 09-12-2009 04:57 PM

This guy's not bad either.

Thumper 09-12-2009 05:04 PM

Morgan Burnett

Learn his name, he is a better ball hawker than Mays by far and he is great against the run. He is what people want Taylor Mays to be.

eaglesalltheway 09-12-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1789756)

This guy's not bad either.

If we could get either (depending on how our FS's perform this year) I would be ecstatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 1789775)
Morgan Burnett

Learn his name, he is a better ball hawker than Mays by far and he is great against the run. He is what people want Taylor Mays to be.

I've heard a lot about him, just haven't seen much. He is someone I'll definitely be looking into.