Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Denver Broncos Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How good are we? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35589)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 09-27-2009 07:12 PM

How good are we?
 
I'm starting to wonder now... we beat the crap out of Cleveland which means nothing, today we beat the crap out of an Oakland team that was competitive against San Diego. We beat Cincy on a damn lucky play, but we controlled most of the game anyway... and those Bengals are now 2-1 beating the defending world champions and the Packers who have looked very good in their two wins.

So how good are we? The way San Diego is performing, I'm starting to think we can beat them for the division.

Diehard 09-27-2009 08:13 PM

When you break down the team, there really aren't many obvious holes. DL and QB were definitely question marks coming into the season, but we're getting adequate production from those positions. KR/PR is probably the weakest link so far.

The really encouraging thing is that the players seem to be getting more comfortable with the system each game, particularly the offense. That bodes well.

I think we can challenge San Diego, particularly with their patchwork OL and inability to stop the run. However, the Chargers get a bye before we face them @SD in Week 6, which gives them an opportunity to regroup.

I picked this team to win 9 games and I don't see any reason to change that prediction. We needed to win the relatively managable games at the start of the schedule, and we did, but now we've got a very tough road ahead.

Timbathia 09-27-2009 10:10 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when we have to play from behind. We certainly look good when playing with a lead. I guess we should find out at some stage over the next few weeks.

the decider13 09-27-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbathia (Post 1812913)
It will be interesting to see what happens when we have to play from behind. We certainly look good when playing with a lead. I guess we should find out at some stage over the next few weeks.

This is a good point, the only time we have seen Orton handle the team from behind was in the Cinci game when he got a miracle bounce. Defense has looked really good. Doom has been amazing since the switch. Team has to have a really high turnover ratio at this point, which was a problem last year.

We'll see how they do against Dallas. I don't think the cowboys are all that good anyways, but everyone is always sippin their kool aid.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 09-27-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbathia (Post 1812913)
It will be interesting to see what happens when we have to play from behind. We certainly look good when playing with a lead. I guess we should find out at some stage over the next few weeks.

For that, I'll just repeat what my buddy said to me after Orton's miracle.

"Four game winning drives."

vikes_28 09-27-2009 10:25 PM

I think the Broncos will have a solid season. Not a great season, but maybe 10 wins at the most. And at the least, 7 wins. I'm thinking the wild card if they get 8 to 10 wins. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the Broncos are doing. Orton is doing what he did all the time while he was in Chicago, managing games.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-04-2009 07:22 PM

Looks like we might be legit, boys.

Paul 10-04-2009 07:26 PM

Your defense is definitely legit. Dumerville is something else, Dawkins looks like he's fitting right in, and Bailey...that ******* bastard.

Timbathia 10-04-2009 07:53 PM

As great as that win was, that game has proven that our offense is nowhere good enough right now for us beat top teams. The defense is good enough to create turnovers and keep us in most games, but that offense is still not up to scratch. Orton is not turning over the ball, which is fantastic, but he has to make more plays that what he is. We have a really good running game, good receivers, but just need the QB to actually make some plays himself, rather than relying on someone else on offense to do it for him.

brat316 10-04-2009 07:55 PM

Yeah 4 WR sets did hurt the Broncos a bit.

sweetness34 10-04-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbathia (Post 1822129)
As great as that win was, that game has proven that our offense is nowhere good enough right now for us beat top teams. The defense is good enough to create turnovers and keep us in most games, but that offense is still not up to scratch. Orton is not turning over the ball, which is fantastic, but he has to make more plays that what he is. We have a really good running game, good receivers, but just need the QB to actually make some plays himself, rather than relying on someone else on offense to do it for him.

That's just not the type of QB Orton is. He's not going to "make plays." He's going to manage games for you and avoid making mistakes. It's a great formula when you have a defense like he did in Chicago and like the one he has right now (still can't believe at how good your defense looks), but if you ask him to put up a **** ton of points every week to keep you in the game, that's just not going to happen.

I like Kyle, he's a great guy and he's a solid player. But I will agree with those who say that the offense needs to get their **** in gear. The defense isn't going to play like this every week and it would be nice to see some consistency on the other side of the ball.

Orton missed a lot of receivers down field and was fairly inaccurate on his intermediate throws. He did "lead" a comeback but overall he struggled to find consistency.

sweetness34 10-04-2009 08:10 PM

Denver had that Quarterback in Cutler, and I still do not understand why McDaniels wanted to trade him for Matt Cassel. Denver would be ******* scary right now if #6 was behind center. The defense has been the problem and they fixed it, now the Quarterback is the issue (although Orton has been decent so far). In sports we always wonder, "what if," but I have to think that some Denver fans are wondering how good they would be if Cutler was still in town. Going from near last in defense to the top, that's pretty much a complete football team. Denver addressed one area and made a hole in another.

jjmt2500 10-04-2009 09:37 PM

There is nothing more i love than watching the Cowgirls lose. Good game and congrats on the 4-0.

CT Bronco Fan 10-05-2009 12:52 AM

We're pretty good I'd say. =)

Prowler 10-05-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin diesel
doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile...winning is winning.

i ripped the broncos pretty heavily in the offseason, but wow...nice job. i was wrong and the broncos getting things done right now.

Timbathia 10-05-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34 (Post 1822159)
Denver had that Quarterback in Cutler, and I still do not understand why McDaniels wanted to trade him for Matt Cassel. Denver would be ******* scary right now if #6 was behind center. The defense has been the problem and they fixed it, now the Quarterback is the issue (although Orton has been decent so far). In sports we always wonder, "what if," but I have to think that some Denver fans are wondering how good they would be if Cutler was still in town. Going from near last in defense to the top, that's pretty much a complete football team. Denver addressed one area and made a hole in another.

I think ALL Broncos fans would love to sit down with McDaniels and ask him why he wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel. I understand the benefit in having someone who already knows the playbook, terminology, etc., and has proven that they can make the kind of decisions that you want them to make. But there is no doubt Cutler is a vastly superior talent, so McDaniels must have issues with either his intelligence, his team play, his decision making or his work ethic, as it seems that these are things McDaniels values above all else (or else he just thinks Cutler is a dopey tool and didnt want to work with him day in day out, or maybe Cutler bumped uglies with McDaniels wife at some stage).

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-11-2009 07:42 PM

Pretty ******* Good.

brat316 10-12-2009 12:39 AM

Neck Beard is starting to become a Qb.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.