Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Donnie Edwards (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3588)

Maybe Next Year Millen2 03-10-2007 01:25 PM

Donnie Edwards

Donnie Edwards signed with the Chiefs today. Good move by the Chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Shiver 03-10-2007 01:26 PM

Who's to say you can never go home again? Very good signing. Their linebackers will now be a strength.

Billingsley26 03-10-2007 01:28 PM

very good move by the chiefs...big upgrad over kawika mitchell.

Man_Of_Steel 03-10-2007 01:28 PM

Good signing. $ is the question though

bigbluedefense 03-10-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 206501)
Who's to say you can never go home again? Very good signing. Their linebackers will now be a strength.

For a year anyway. Donnie doesn't have much in the tank. They should still get a LB in the draft, whether its Buster Davis later, or Willis in the 1st.

Also, it never hurts to nab someone away from SD and expose some of the inner workings and tendencies of the players.

bearsfan_51 03-10-2007 01:29 PM

It's a small upgrade over Mitchell, but not as much as many people on here will say. Edwards has been a little overated for a while now.

bigbluedefense 03-10-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 206514)
It's a small upgrade over Mitchell, but not as much as many people on here will say. Edwards has been a little overated for a while now.

I believe the opposite. I think he's underappreciated. It will be interesting to see him back in the 4-3, see how he can fare with avg. DTs in front of him.

toonsterwu 03-10-2007 01:31 PM

Interesting signing. Pushes LB into a day 2 area for them. Edwards probably has 1, at best, 2 solid years left. He should be fine in the middle. I'd assume Napolean Harris goes to the strongside, making Keyaron Fox a backup again. Fox deserves a starting shot, I think, but he'll be a solid number 4 for them.

bigbluedefense 03-10-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonsterwu (Post 206522)
Interesting signing. Pushes LB into a day 2 area for them. Edwards probably has 1, at best, 2 solid years left. He should be fine in the middle. I'd assume Napolean Harris goes to the strongside, making Keyaron Fox a backup again. Fox deserves a starting shot, I think, but he'll be a solid number 4 for them.

I still like Willis on their team. Move him outside for a year, when Edwards is done, move Willis inside and don't miss a beat.

With aging players, injury is always a concern as well. Its nice to have that backup plan. With avg. DTs in front of him, and being relatively undersized, Edwards is more susceptible to injuries now.

Shiver 03-10-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 206510)
For a year anyway. Donnie doesn't have much in the tank. They should still get a LB in the draft, whether its Buster Davis later, or Willis in the 1st.

Also, it never hurts to nab someone away from SD and expose some of the inner workings and tendencies of the players.

I think in the short term.

CC.SD 03-10-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 206520)
I believe the opposite. I think he's underappreciated. It will be interesting to see him back in the 4-3, see how he can fare with avg. DTs in front of him.

Jamal Williams, Luis Castillo and Igor Olshansky have helped Donnie a whole lot more than the interior of the Chief's D-line will. I'm going to miss Donnie, but I don't think he'll be as successful in KC.

toonsterwu 03-10-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 206530)
I still like Willis on their team. Move him outside for a year, when Edwards is done, move Willis inside and don't miss a beat.

With aging players, injury is always a concern as well. Its nice to have that backup plan. With avg. DTs in front of him, and being relatively undersized, Edwards is more susceptible to injuries now.

I think they have too many other concerns to justify a LB selection in round 1. A starting group of Johnson/Edwards/Harris should be fine, and Fox arguably deserved a shot to start this year. With DT, possibly DE (depending on the Allen situation), depth at CB, WR, OL all as areas that help is needed, I just don't think you can justify adding a linebacker to a group that, on paper, is a solid foursome.

BigDawg819 03-10-2007 01:37 PM

A good signing in as much as a adequate linebacker but more so as bringing in another veteran to council and teach some of the younger guys and to gain a bit of knowledge about the Chargers.

bigbluedefense 03-10-2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonsterwu (Post 206543)
I think they have too many other concerns to justify a LB selection in round 1. A starting group of Johnson/Edwards/Harris should be fine, and Fox arguably deserved a shot to start this year. With DT, possibly DE (depending on the Allen situation), depth at CB, WR, OL all as areas that help is needed, I just don't think you can justify adding a linebacker to a group that, on paper, is a solid foursome.

Yeah...Im guilty of being a defense junky :oops:

Maybe they might make a push for Okeye now. They have needs yes, but if Herm likes Okeye enough, I can see him making an aggressive move to get him.

etk 03-10-2007 01:42 PM

This is a great signing and it makes sense of the Harris signing now. Harris is not a good MLB, but I think he could be a good complement to Johnson & Edwards now at SLB.

princefielder28 03-10-2007 01:46 PM

Very good job by the Chiefs, signed a quality player and signed him away from a division team

Geo 03-10-2007 01:50 PM

Nice to see him return to the Chiefs, as Shiver noted.

T-RICH49 03-10-2007 02:04 PM

Welcome Home Donnie!!!!!

Basileus777 03-10-2007 02:32 PM

Edwards won't be playing at SLB, thats DJ's position. He will probably play WLB. He's a hell of an upgrade to Bell, especially in pass coverage.

It's not like it's a cap buster either, so it gives us a chance to get younger over the next two years.

toonsterwu 03-10-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 206548)
Yeah...Im guilty of being a defense junky :oops:

Maybe they might make a push for Okeye now. They have needs yes, but if Herm likes Okeye enough, I can see him making an aggressive move to get him.

I still think Okoye goes in, at the very least, the top 15 or so, and I can't see them being that aggressive. They should be able to sit back in the 2nd/3rd and find a capable DT that would be an upgrade on what they have, provided they scout well. Guys like Quinn Pitcock, Brandon Mebane, and Justin Harrell come to mind. I think they have too many needs to warrant making a push up. My guess is they'll stand pat and see what the best OL/WR/DL value is when their pick is up. If there are several options available on their list, then they would try dealing down a bit, if not, make the selection there, focus perhaps on the other two areas the rest of day 1.

toonsterwu 03-10-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 206705)
Edwards won't be playing at SLB, thats DJ's position. He will probably play WLB. He's a hell of an upgrade to Bell, especially in pass coverage.

It's not like it's a cap buster either, so it gives us a chance to get younger over the next two years.

Huh? I'm fairly certain Derrick Johnson is the weakside backer. Last year, Kawika Mitchell was in the middle, and Kendrell Bell was at the strongside, with Keyaron Fox often subbing in. I'm fairly certain that was the order last year. Derrick will stay weakside. While Harris could be a middle linebacker, Donnie has to be in the middle, as he can't handle SAM, thus, I think Napolean Harris slides out to SAM, and forces Keyaron Fox to the bench. If Harris struggles, Fox could probably take his spot.

RaiderLifer 03-10-2007 02:36 PM

Good signing for them. I was hoping to see him out of the division.

Splat 03-10-2007 02:40 PM

Welcome home #59 you have been missed!!!

Basileus777 03-10-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonsterwu (Post 206719)
Huh? I'm fairly certain Derrick Johnson is the weakside backer. Last year, Kawika Mitchell was in the middle, and Kendrell Bell was at the strongside, with Keyaron Fox often subbing in. I'm fairly certain that was the order last year. Derrick will stay weakside. While Harris could be a middle linebacker, Donnie has to be in the middle, as he can't handle SAM, thus, I think Napolean Harris slides out to SAM, and forces Keyaron Fox to the bench. If Harris struggles, Fox could probably take his spot.

Derrick Johnson has played at strongside linebacker for the past 2 years.

Splat 03-10-2007 02:46 PM

Yep DJ plays strong side LB.