Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Briggs prepared to sit out season (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3767)

Shiver 03-12-2007 06:36 PM

Briggs prepared to sit out season

Quote:

"I am now prepared to sit out the year if the Bears don't trade me or release me," Briggs told FOXSports.com via cell phone Monday. "I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again."
Fox Sports, Jay Glazer article

Go_Eagles77 03-12-2007 06:38 PM

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

The Unseen 03-12-2007 06:39 PM

aahhhh you could cut the tension with a knife!

Space Ghost 03-12-2007 06:39 PM

And the plot thickens. Please come to Buffalo for Baltimore's 7th round selection. Is that asking too much? I wouldn\t mind giving up both of our 3rd round picks for him, maybe a 2nd next year or Baltimore's 3rd next year depending on what other teams are offering.

bored of education 03-12-2007 06:40 PM

If he ends up in Buffalo wow.

Yung Flippa 03-12-2007 06:44 PM

He'll Be On A Different Team By The Time The Reg. Season Starts

frogstomp 03-12-2007 06:44 PM

I like Briggs, but I'm not a fan of holdouts.

If you deserve money, you will end up getting paid, one way or another.

PalmerToCJ 03-12-2007 06:46 PM

I've gotta say I'm really doubting it. 7 mil (or whatever it is) to play one year or sitting out. IMO he's just bluffing to obviously get them to trade him so he can get his mega deal.

frogstomp 03-12-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yung Flippa (Post 213302)
He'll Be On A Different Team By The Time The Reg. Season Starts

Why the hell would you capitalize the first letter of every word, but then use an abbreviation for regular? Weird.

21ST 03-12-2007 06:46 PM

This is going to get very interesting because i doubt they are going to move him this season.

Shiver 03-12-2007 06:48 PM

I think this will work it's way like the Javon Walker situation last year. On draft day, somehow, someway, Briggs is elsewhere. If I were Buffalo I wouldn't hesitate to give up my 2nd round pick.

Jim Jim 03-12-2007 06:49 PM

Have fun sitting out.

Crazy_Chris 03-12-2007 06:51 PM

Yea he will probably end up being moved close to draft day, i think a second and maybe a conditional pick in next years draft would be enough for him

KBear 03-12-2007 06:52 PM

The Bears cant actively trade him, and him being so public about it only hurts his chances. The Bears own his rights, they hold all the cards so to speak. The Bears did offer him a long term deal, and yes it was probably worth less then what he could have made this offseson (probably a lot less considering how much money is being thrown around). He would most likely have seen every last cent of the long term deal the Bears offered, which is something you probably cant say for most free agent signings. So at the end of the day, he would still get paid about the same.

PalmerToCJ 03-12-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 213319)
I think this will work it's way like the Javon Walker situation last year. On draft day, somehow, someway, Briggs is elsewhere. If I were Buffalo I wouldn't hesitate to give up my 2nd round pick.

That's true. I think this situation is more in the FO's favor though, IIRC Walker was on his rookie contract still and was coming off the injury. If he played he would've made little anyway so he could hold out to cash in big elsewhere.

With Briggs, he has over 6 million waiting for him if he just signs the tender... I could see him playing this year under the tag then refusing next year as he would have a whole lot more money.

Hurricane Ditka 03-12-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ (Post 213331)
That's true. I think this situation is more in the FO's favor though, IIRC Walker was on his rookie contract still and was coming off the injury. If he played he would've made little anyway so he could hold out to cash in big elsewhere.

With Briggs, he has over 6 million waiting for him if he just signs the tender... I could see him playing this year under the tag then refusing next year as he would have a whole lot more money.

Walker held out to get his rookie deal changed, then got injured. Briggs just finished his rookie deal.

PalmerToCJ 03-12-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka (Post 213340)
Walker held out to get his rookie deal changed, then got injured. Briggs just finished his rookie deal.

Yeah, that's the thing. Walker didn't have the FA tag ahead of him while Briggs does. I'm guessing Walker was due under a million while Briggs is due top 5 LB money.

I just don't see him going through with the hold out if he's still with the team that long.

Crazy_Chris 03-12-2007 07:07 PM

it doesnt seem logical to hold out when you have that kind of money on the table for one year... but lets say he does come back how well will he play? will his disgust with situation come out and show on the feild? ... but ultimatley i think whether he stays or not might come down to the kind of offers they get for him

Space Ghost 03-12-2007 07:11 PM

If he plays for the Bears next year at all I can't see him being to popular among teammates and fans, he would just put that whole defense out of sync. I would definitely get him out if I were the Bears. Bills 2nd round pick sound good? :D

jkpigskin 03-12-2007 07:13 PM

hes obviously bluffing...theres still alot of time in the offseason

Flyboy 03-12-2007 07:26 PM

Why does everyone automatically assume he's bluffing? If the man strongly believes in the something, it wouldn't surprise me if he DID sit out like I mentioned in an earlier thread.

Young Nasty Man 03-12-2007 07:28 PM

He's going to be traded..I wouldn't worry about it....where there is a seller, there is usually a buyer..and Lance Briggs is great talent and if the Bears managed a way to get rid of Thomas Jones, they'll get rid of Lance Briggs....they will get some kind of deal and manage to make a trade...

Beans 03-12-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstomp (Post 213313)
Why the hell would you capitalize the first letter of every word, but then use an abbreviation for regular? Weird.

THE SITE DOESN'T ALLOW ALL CAPS

I AM TRYING NOW!

I GUESS I WAS WRONG.

hugepunch 03-12-2007 07:32 PM

neeeeww yooork giiiiants. its going to look awesome with briggs making plays in blue.

Smokey Joe 03-12-2007 07:33 PM

No. 31 and Briggs to Buffalo for no. 12 :cool: