Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The History Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37724)

Giantsfan1080 01-06-2010 10:25 PM

The History Thread
 
I've been wanting to make this forever. Let's discuss all things history before the 19th century. I know we have a lot of history fans here so let's keep it fun and not bring modern politics into this. I'll start by saying my favorite American historical period is the American Revolution. What about everyone else?

fischbowl 01-06-2010 10:28 PM

American for me would have to be immigration

CJSchneider 01-06-2010 10:28 PM

Why do I get the feeling this is going to turn into the "Ask CJ, he was there." thread.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 01-06-2010 10:30 PM

I have a feeling you want it to turn into that

Brodeur 01-06-2010 10:34 PM

I blame Benjamin Franklin for aids.

DoughBoy 01-06-2010 10:34 PM

So CJ, Da Vinci was a cool guy right?

The Unseen 01-06-2010 10:36 PM

And God said "Let there be light." And CJ said, "Get me another beer or get off my lawn!"

Giantsfan1080 01-06-2010 10:37 PM

I'm glad this started off on the right foot. :rolleyes:

Brent 01-06-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 1956878)
And God said "Let there be light." And CJ said, "Get me another beer or get off my lawn!"

"and goddamnit, if you get one of them ***** euro beers, I'll kick your ass!"

CJSchneider 01-06-2010 10:38 PM

I'm glad I could help.

CashmoneyDrew 01-06-2010 10:40 PM

Aaron Burr was a real douche.

Brent 01-06-2010 10:41 PM

seriously though, I would love to have a conversation about how I find Columbus Day offensive and disgusting because the guy was a piece of ****.

Brodeur 01-06-2010 10:41 PM

To help GF a bit here...

Did Catesby really believe the Gunpowder plot could actually be pulled off? I mean as close is it was to happening it probably never would have worked as well as he had hoped and would only have made things worse for his cause.

Brent 01-06-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956893)
To help GF a bit here...

Did Catesby really believe the Gunpowder plot could actually be pulled off? I mean as close is it was to happening it probably never would have worked as well as he had hoped and would only have made things worse for his cause.

terrorism isnt about how successful you are in killing, so much as it is about creating fear. if he killed a few people and scared the **** out of the rest, mission accomplished.

CJSchneider 01-06-2010 10:44 PM

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Giantsfan1080 01-06-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956893)
To help GF a bit here...

Did Catesby really believe the Gunpowder plot could actually be pulled off? I mean as close is it was to happening it probably never would have worked as well as he had hoped and would only have made things worse for his cause.

Seemed like it had too many moving parts as well. Sort of like the Lincoln assassanation where so many things had to happen.

Brodeur 01-06-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1956895)
terrorism isnt about how successful you are in killing, so much as it is about creating fear. if he killed a few people and scared the **** out of the rest, mission accomplished.

I always thought more of Catesby and the rest (well not Fawkes) as above a simple act of terrorism.

I agree completely with the Columbus opinion however. He was a psychopath who happened upon a certain area of land and is basically responsible for acts that led to genocide.

dabears10 01-06-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1956892)
seriously though, I would love to have a conversation about how I find Columbus Day offensive and disgusting because the guy was a piece of ****.

For all the education majors at our school almost all C&I200 classes had to read Lies My Teacher Told Me. After that all my friends, mostly girls, came to me with a 'crazy' truth that Christopher Columbus was a real asshole and killed a bunch of people. Made me chuckle.

Brent 01-06-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956904)
I always thought more of Catesby and the rest (well not Fawkes) as above a simple act of terrorism.

yeah I am not up on my British history to really discuss this beyond a surface level (looking for BF_51 to come in)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956904)
I agree completely with the Columbus opinion however. He was a psychopath who happened upon a certain area of land and is basically responsible for acts that led to genocide.

well, many of the early explorers thought they were the **** because natives didnt believe in ownership, and gladly shared what they had. throw in the numbers who died from european diseases & some modern technology, you have men who find themselves to be unstoppable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears10 (Post 1956906)
For all the education majors at our school almost all C&I200 classes had to read Lies My Teacher Told Me. After that all my friends, mostly girls, came to me with a 'crazy' truth that Christopher Columbus was a real asshole and killed a bunch of people. Made me chuckle.

I dont see how people wouldnt assume this on their own. European with superior technology + unfamiliar diseases + ownership society = disaster for the natives.

Giantsfan1080 01-06-2010 10:54 PM

As Brent stated, Columbus wasn't the only explorer to commit genocide. There's a big problem of how we teach exploration to the younger generations.

Brent 01-06-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1956921)
As Brent stated, Columbus wasn't the only explorer to commit genocide. There's a big problem of how we teach exploration to the younger generations.

well, I think there is a giant gap in how we educate kids with the "disney history" of America rather than what actually went down. no one wants to know they live in a country who tried to get independence because a few people realized they could make WAY more money if they didnt have to pay British taxes, and, instead, ran the place where they lived.

Brodeur 01-06-2010 10:56 PM

He's the only one with his own holiday.

dabears10 01-06-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1956921)
As Brent stated, Columbus wasn't the only explorer to commit genocide. There's a big problem of how we teach exploration to the younger generations.

This is definitely true. Almost everything that is taught in schools is censored and kept from absolute truth. Some is redacted because it is not particularly important and there is a limited amount of time, some is not taught because the tests don't need that information, and some is left out because the teachers simply don't know themselves.

This may sound bad, but some of the dumbest people I met in College were Elementary Ed Majors. It made me think about the teachers I had in elementary schools and most of them were not the brightest people.

Brent 01-06-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956927)
He's the only one with his own holiday.

that's because someone, long ago, decide to celebrate the white man's accomplishments rather than acknowledge the natives who were here 10s of thousands of years prior to his trip.

scottyboy 01-06-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 1956927)
He's the only one with his own holiday.

that's because he discovered America. Obviously we had to give him the holiday.

And I always loved the story of the Lincoln assasination. Not the fact it happened, but the whole plot and that one of the assasins chickened out and got drunk instead of killing someone I can't remember. (Secratary of something IIRC)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.