Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Philosophy Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37839)

The Unseen 01-11-2010 01:42 AM

The Philosophy Thread
 
Discuss what you wanna discuss. Topics, philosophers, your views, your rants, you name it. Just be touchy with ethics, as it veers towards politics, and religion, since that's explicitly prohibited and isn't philosophy. Well, there's philosophy of religion, but that's too close to religion-itself to be allowed.

vikes_28 01-11-2010 01:55 AM

Didn't we have one of these before and it got deleted?

anyways. i think this thread would be better titled "the psychology thread" I love talking about psychology. It intrigues me.

SuperMcGee 01-11-2010 02:15 AM

Thread full of raptors in 3...

Jvig43 01-11-2010 02:32 AM

Reanimation of the dead? Possible? If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it. The only thing I can think of right now that doesnt have anything to do with politics or religion.

CJSchneider 01-11-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 1965082)
Reanimation of the dead? Possible? If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it. The only thing I can think of right now that doesnt have anything to do with politics or religion.

When the ammo is runs out, have a machete.

Brent 01-11-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 1965082)
If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it.

Get out the metroplex as fast as possible. Take TX hwys south until I make it to my friend's parents' cabin, which is out in the middle of nowhere. Stay there for a few days, then take off for good. Never stop moving.

senormysterioso 01-11-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 1965082)
Reanimation of the dead? Possible? If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it. The only thing I can think of right now that doesnt have anything to do with politics or religion.

Make a stand, I have 4 firearms in my apt, and about 2000 rounds of ammo for them in all. Just aim for the head. Aim for the head.

Gay Ork Wang 01-11-2010 07:44 AM

Is there Charisma?

I say no.

Discuss

zachsaints52 01-11-2010 09:48 AM

Id lock Zombies in cages and mock them. And then kill em.

Addict 01-11-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1965159)
Is there Charisma?

I say no.

Discuss

I say yes, but it's something that can be tought. It's basically just the sum of decent (not too good or bad) looks, attitude (independent, mostly) and most importantly eloquence (while using 'normal' wording).

Charisma as a natural thing that occurs in people? no.

Go_Eagles77 01-11-2010 10:26 AM


Brothgar 01-11-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 1965082)
Reanimation of the dead? Possible? If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it. The only thing I can think of right now that doesnt have anything to do with politics or religion.

Reanimation possible? yes. But requires huge ammounts of electricity and stuff.

My zombie plan? Well that depends on which kind of Zombies we are talking about.

1. The original night of the Living dead type zombies: If the zombies are of that sort then dealing with them will be easy. Ammo and food inside a fort structure with no windows. I would need a large vehicle (HUM-V, tank, garbage truck etc.) to venture for food once a month and look for other survivors and gather food.

2. The Resident Evil Style Zombies (and Zombie esq creatures): Well these can climb and bust through walls so in all reality I'm screwed. But I'd probobly go with the run away aproach and bring an accurate powerful weapon for when I'm surrounded.

3. The 28 days later zombies: These zombies are the smartest they are fast and can use weapons. In which case I would steal a boat bring it out to the middle of a deep lake and live off of fish for the rest of my days.

Addict 01-11-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 1965082)
Reanimation of the dead? Possible? If a Zombie outbreak occurred how would everyone handle it. The only thing I can think of right now that doesnt have anything to do with politics or religion.

I would join them and lead them as the Undead Master of the Legions of Hell. I'll kill the ones with guns first. That way world domination will go smoothly.

CJSchneider 01-11-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1965159)
Is there Charisma?

I say no.

Discuss

It most certainly exists. A natural, visual charm and positive means of oral, as well as visual communication, coupled with secure and persuasive attitude.

Brothgar 01-11-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 (Post 1965257)

They use their feet.

CJSchneider 01-11-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 1965265)
Reanimation possible? yes. But requires huge ammounts of electricity and stuff.

My zombie plan? Well that depends on which kind of Zombies we are talking about.

1. The original night of the Living dead type zombies: If the zombies are of that sort then dealing with them will be easy. Ammo and food inside a fort structure with no windows. I would need a large vehicle (HUM-V, tank, garbage truck etc.) to venture for food once a month and look for other survivors and gather food.

2. The Resident Evil Style Zombies (and Zombie esq creatures): Well these can climb and bust through walls so in all reality I'm screwed. But I'd probobly go with the run away aproach and bring an accurate powerful weapon for when I'm surrounded.

3. The 28 days later zombies: These zombies are the smartest they are fast and can use weapons. In which case I would steal a boat bring it out to the middle of a deep lake and live off of fish for the rest of my days.

In case of Zombie outbreak, we need to find broth and give him some decision making authority. He has most certainly given this some thought.

Gay Ork Wang 01-11-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 1965274)
It most certainly exists. A natural, visual charm and positive means of oral, as well as visual communication, coupled with secure and persuasive attitude.

u described Charisma with charm. What is the difference?

i dont think charisma stands for anything. Im not inclined to one person because of something that is just called charisma. Im either drawn to him because of his looks, or the things he says or how he says it. thats not charisma. Thats his looks, or the things he says or how he says it

Brothgar 01-11-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1965280)
u described Charisma with charm. What is the difference?

i dont think charisma stands for anything. Im not inclined to one person because of something that is just called charisma. Im either drawn to him because of his looks, or the things he says or how he says it. thats not charisma. Thats his looks, or the things he says or how he says it

APS stop hacking Renji's account!

Addict 01-11-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 1965285)
APS stop hacking Renji's account!


CJSchneider 01-11-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 1965285)
APS stop hacking Renji's account!

That's a 2 for 1 slam right there.

Charm is what you put out, your demeanor and how you carry yourself. charisma is how it is perceived. A person you say is charismatic may not be what I feel is. Odds are, given the human factor, that most people will agree with who has charisma and who doesn't.

senormysterioso 01-11-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1965280)
u described Charisma with charm. What is the difference?

i dont think charisma stands for anything. Im not inclined to one person because of something that is just called charisma. Im either drawn to him because of his looks, or the things he says or how he says it. thats not charisma. Thats his looks, or the things he says or how he says it

Charisma and charm are for the most part synonyms now, but historically charisma's etymology can be traced back to a German word used to describe a person with the gift of leadership and later took on the connotation of exhibiting personal charm. The verb form of charm is used more than the noun form however, and vice versa for charisma. Charisma is a noun used to describe an intangible quality and charismatic is an adjective used to describe an act. The English language is constantly evolving, it's barely recognizable from the English of 100-150 years ago.

Of course charisma exists because there is a word for it. Kenneth Burke says humans are "symbol using animals" and that we language things into being.

Ward 01-11-2010 12:12 PM

Is man inherently good?

The Unseen 01-11-2010 12:21 PM

this thread got out of hand rly quick.

And Ward: I don't have an answer, because I think it's a poor question. If I answer yes, I can be shown all the **** humans have done, and if I say no, I can be shown how man cares for their fellow, sacrifices for their families, and how a lot of bad things he does were done with good intentions or for good reasons. The question is too broad in scope IMO.

CJSchneider 01-11-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward (Post 1965439)
Is man inherently good?

I can't answer that in detail without bringing a viewpoint of religion into it, so I'll just say yes.

senormysterioso 01-11-2010 12:26 PM

Man is neither good or bad, man has the capacity to do both good and bad things but I think that the overall net of all the good things outweighs the bad things that man does.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.