Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Potential for "Suh-like" impact? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41045)

colfanmat14 04-29-2010 04:27 AM

Potential for "Suh-like" impact?

Now that the 2009 season and its requisite draft are over, it is clear that N. Suh had the largest overall impact of any single player. I say this because he undeniably revolutionized, or at least had a huge impact on the way we look at college football. Defensive line has become the new "glamour" position of sorts, popularized more so than has the position since perhaps Lawrence Taylor.

When one thinks of the 2009 season, or more particularly a player from the 2009 season, one is probably remembering the force that was Ndamukong Suh.

Thusly, I think its fair to add Suh to the list of college football players that not only made the All-American teams, owned the stat sheets, and grabbed headlines, but who went so far as to completely change the way we view his position, and therefore, the game itself.

Who else qualifies for such an honor? In the past 10 years, only a few names come to mind as definites : QB Vince Young, and APB Reggie Bush.

Here's the actual point of this post: Which current CFB players (meaning classes 2011- 2014) do you think have a shot at replicating, or at least coming close to replicating the type of effect N. Suh had upon the game with this past season?

I'm not asking for only those players you think will be All-Century performers or anything, just guys you can see becoming legitimately among the recent best at what they do.

I'll throw one out there:

DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina

iowatreat54 04-29-2010 09:42 AM

I don't know if he will necessarily blow people out of the water with his stats even though they should still be really good, but Adrian Clayborn could have a Suh-like impact for Iowa's DL, especially on running plays.

We saw in the Orange Bowl GTech in the 2nd half completely avoided running to their left (Clayborn at RE). I think more teams will avoid running toward Clayborn, which could really change an offensive gameplan.

YAYareaRB 04-29-2010 10:56 AM

Marcus Fortson, Miami

That whole D-Line is gonna be crazy much like The Huskers were with Suh in the middle but I think Fortson is gonna make it dominant. Taking nothing away from Hulk Bailey of course

JFLO 04-29-2010 10:59 AM

A couple players that I would watch out for:

Seantrel Henderson OT USC 2014
The potential is definitely there for him to be one of the best offensive lineman that we've seen in years. I honestly thought he would have been better suited at a school like Notre Dame or Ohio State, but can't put the kid down for getting a full ride to a school like USC. Crazy athleticism and feet for a kid his age and size. He's only going to get better.

Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State 2013
Burfict has the most potential of any linebacker in the nation right now and has the production to back it up. Whenever he decides to enter the draft, he'll be a Top 10 pick.

keylime_5 04-29-2010 11:03 AM

i've seen a lot from Ohio State players and Iowa players saying "this guy's gonna be next year's Suh" when talking about Heyward and Clayborn respectively.

iowatreat54 04-29-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2156022)
i've seen a lot from Ohio State players and Iowa players saying "this guy's gonna be next year's Suh" when talking about Heyward and Clayborn respectively.

What's OSU looking like at LT? I'm not reallly familiar with their OL. And does Heyward usually lineup on the left or right?

The Iowa-OSU game should be huge in looking at both Heyward and Clayborn. If Heyward is on the right, he will go up against Riley Reiff who should be a very good LT and high pro prospect by his junior year (he will be a RS Soph). But if he lines up on the left, hopefully the right side of our line is solid by the game because right now it looks a little questionable.

It would be awesome if both guys have huge years and there's all kinds of debate for who is better. It would be great positive publicity for the Big XI.

wicket 04-29-2010 11:24 AM

Not seeing any ND player who will revolutionise his position any time soon. Closest will be Kyle Rudolph who is as athletic as anyone playing his position and is so with a good head on his shoulders. However, he will just be really really good, not absurd imo.

If I had to throw a name out there:

Kuechly (sp) the Boston College frosh mlb

JFLO 04-29-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 2156037)
What's OSU looking like at LT? I'm not reallly familiar with their OL. And does Heyward usually lineup on the left or right?

The Iowa-OSU game should be huge in looking at both Heyward and Clayborn. If Heyward is on the right, he will go up against Riley Reiff who should be a very good LT and high pro prospect by his junior year (he will be a RS Soph). But if he lines up on the left, hopefully the right side of our line is solid by the game because right now it looks a little questionable.

It would be awesome if both guys have huge years and there's all kinds of debate for who is better. It would be great positive publicity for the Big XI.

I think the starting O-Line for the Buckeyes will end up looking like this:

LT: Mike Adams
LG: Justin Boren
C: Mike Brewster
RG: Bryant Browning
RT: J.B. Shugarts

keylime_5 04-29-2010 11:35 AM

yeah, Mike has all but locked up the left tackle spot this spring. This is our best OLine and OLine depth we've had under Tressel.

Heyward plays the left end and on passing downs sometimes moves inside to DT. We are playing pretty much a 3-4 front, or a 4-3 odd front.

iowatreat54 04-29-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2156057)
yeah, Mike has all but locked up the left tackle spot this spring. This is our best OLine and OLine depth we've had under Tressel.

Heyward plays the left end and on passing downs sometimes moves inside to DT. We are playing pretty much a 3-4 front, or a 4-3 odd front.

Alright, so that will be a huge game for Clayborn to try and look good for scouts. If he can do well, it will look really impressive.

As for Heyward, that might be bad news for us. :( I would have loved to see him go up against Reiff not only to see how he can do, but also to see how well Reiff can do. Hopefully we can solidify our right side by then, because right now it'll be manned by guys who have maybe 2 games starting experience, and our whole interior might be questionable as well.

keylime_5 04-29-2010 12:23 PM

I think Nathan Williams will be a pretty steep test for Reiff on the weakside. Kid is a monster. Our defensive coordinator says this is the best line ever at Ohio State (exaggerate much?). He coached the 2002 and 2009 lines which were amazing, so that is saying something.

colfanmat14 04-29-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFLO (Post 2156019)
A couple players that I would watch out for:

Seantrel Henderson OT USC 2014
The potential is definitely there for him to be one of the best offensive lineman that we've seen in years. I honestly thought he would have been better suited at a school like Notre Dame or Ohio State, but can't put the kid down for getting a full ride to a school like USC. Crazy athleticism and feet for a kid his age and size. He's only going to get better.

Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State 2013
Burfict has the most potential of any linebacker in the nation right now and has the production to back it up. Whenever he decides to enter the draft, he'll be a Top 10 pick.

Agreed on Burfict. He and Lawrence Guy could end up as franchise-level anchors of a defense... unfortunately, that defense will reside at Arizona State, where nobody will notice.

ToldLikeItIs 04-29-2010 12:51 PM

Rieff handled Heyward last year in our matchup with relative ease.

keylime_5 04-29-2010 01:16 PM

Iowa's Oline pretty much kicked our butt last year except for at the very end of the game. Worthington stood out last year I suppose in that game. That was the only game I remember where neither Gibson nor Heyward had big games.

tjsunstein 04-29-2010 01:23 PM

Defensive Lineman:
Robert Quinn, UNC

Linebackers:
Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
Akeem Ayers, UCLA

Secondary:
Patrick Peterson, LSU

I feel like a couple of other guys could have made this list if it weren't for the talent around them. For example, I think Hightower makes a great impact but it won't be as noticeable as any of these other guys because of Marcell Dareus and Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron and Kerry Murphy. But, if you put him on any of the other defenses then I think he would stand out 'Suh' like.

619 04-29-2010 01:33 PM

yourfavestoner 04-29-2010 03:04 PM

I dunno how much Reggie Bush changed the perception of all-purpose backs while he was in college. He was viewed as a true runningback prospect who was extremely versatile, not necessarily a utility player without a true position (like Percy Harvin and Dexter McCluster).

Also, the value of kick returners went through the roof after Devin Hester's stay at Miami and subsequent stardom as a returner in the NFL. I'm happy he's saying that he wants less of an offensive role in order to be able to do returns full-time again.

SickwithIt1010 04-29-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 619 (Post 2156208)

I second this pick.

ToldLikeItIs 04-29-2010 04:03 PM

Clayborn won't have a Suh like impact, but our DL will be something to be remembered.

My nomination is Burfict. He's ridiculous.

Finz99 04-29-2010 04:37 PM

I. Love. Vontaze.

Don Vito 04-29-2010 05:36 PM

That was nasty

I'm going with Marcel Dareus. Dude is raw.

JRTPlaya21 04-29-2010 09:21 PM

I can't go against Vontaze & Peterson. Flat out studs.

RealityCheck 04-29-2010 09:33 PM

I was just going to not read the first post and jump straight to the reply box and say Robert Quinn.

Now it's not funny anymore.

Punisher 05-06-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finz99 (Post 2156563)

I. Love. Vontaze.

As a USC fan all I can do is weep on the inside knowing we lost that kind of player in our own back yard at a position of need.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 05-06-2010 11:12 PM

Dillon Baxter.