Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   NFC East Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2010- Best QB in NFC East (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41104)

SeanTaylorRIP 05-02-2010 11:35 AM

2010- Best QB in NFC East
 
Time to start some new threads for this season's discussion, and new polls.

Thumper 05-02-2010 11:41 AM

Eli Manning right now, last season he was brilliant at some points last year even though he was injured for a long time.

SeanTaylorRIP 05-02-2010 11:44 AM

I went Romo because I feel like when he's on his game especially with accuracy, he is one of the top QB's in the league.

Malaka 05-02-2010 12:03 PM

No homer, as of right now it has to be Eli Manning. Last year he carried our team while having injuries in both his legs, 27 TDs and 14 INTs with a 63% completion percentage those numbers are Brady-esque pre 50 TD season. Not to mention our O-line took a huge step back, if Beatty plays great and Eli is 100% healthy I am loving him with Nicks, Manningham and Smith.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-02-2010 12:06 PM

Well for the all the other polls. I went with NON giants players, but for this I am going with Eli. He had a career year last season while being hurt in the middle stretch. He had an unproven WR corps, and NO running game since everyone was hurt, and still managed to have a career year. So I am going with him!

So thus far:

D. Jackson
Felix Jones
Eli Manning

Awaiting the next poll now.

FreshBoy! 05-02-2010 12:13 PM

This ones pretty close to me. Despite Austin's "breakout" season, Boys had just as many questions as the Giants receiver wise, after releasing TO, everyone wondered how great would Romo & Co. be. Everyone spelled doom and gloom, yet and still, Romo had a career year, proved Austin to be a #1, even with a subpar #2(Roy).

I dunno on this one. Romo?

superman8456 05-02-2010 12:14 PM

No doubt in my mind, I would take Donovan McNabb ten times out of ten.

Rosebud 05-02-2010 01:08 PM

Eli and Romo are 1a and 1b IMO with McNabb clearly in third and Kolb last for now. It's incredible the step Eli has taken since that superbowl, this is truly his team and the only reason we weren't picking in the top 10 or even higher was eli, with the worst D i've seen from my gmen, a mediocre running game, banged up and old OL and very young inconsistent receivers Eli not only carried us to 8 wins but put up some serious displays of beastness. I do like Romo a lot as well and he's probably a better regular season QB while Eli is the better late game/playoff QB.

M.O.T.H. 05-02-2010 03:20 PM

I'm actually surprised by the poll...then again, Romo rarely gets credit. I'd figure cutting the turnovers out of his game, would be enough to make him a clear favorite. Romo still bests Eli in nearly every category, with terribly inconsistent pass blocking and a useless #2 WR. Eli's good, but he's not on Romo's level, imo. Romo is borderline top 5, and can certainly be in that top 5. Eli's more of a top 10 guy.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-02-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. (Post 2160033)
I'm actually surprised by the poll...then again, Romo rarely gets credit. I'd figure cutting the turnovers out of his game, would be enough to make him a clear favorite. Romo still bests Eli in nearly every category, with terribly inconsistent pass blocking and a useless #2 WR. Eli's good, but he's not on Romo's level, imo. Romo is borderline top 5, and can certainly be in that top 5. Eli's more of a top 10 guy.

And what? We had an amazing OL? Our OL dropped off in pass protecting and run blocking. And I don't want to hear about a useless # 2. We lost our X AND our Z WR.

Eli had his best season and we are not in a passing offense or have a great OC in Coach G money. I'd take Eli any day and twice on monday. Give us your system, and it would be no contest. The fact that hurts us is our useless system. Hopefully we can throw like we did last year, but because we want to, not because we have to.

M.O.T.H. 05-03-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning (Post 2160163)
And what? We had an amazing OL? Our OL dropped off in pass protecting and run blocking. And I don't want to hear about a useless # 2. We lost our X AND our Z WR.

Eli had his best season and we are not in a passing offense or have a great OC in Coach G money. I'd take Eli any day and twice on monday. Give us your system, and it would be no contest. The fact that hurts us is our useless system. Hopefully we can throw like we did last year, but because we want to, not because we have to.

Eli doesnt do much of anything better than Romo. Romo's more accurate, one of the league's best athletes at the position and incredibly evasive in and out of the pocket. His decision making has improved tenfold, and while he remains true to his playmaking or gunslinger self, his ball protection was fantastic. Player to player...system or not, I def. see Romo having more talent all around as a player. As for losing players...the Giants have a fine stable of weapons, so I dont see your point. Smith was healthy the entire year and Nicks and Manningham, who are both better than Williams at this point, did a fine job. Romo was basically throwing to two new starters as well in Williams and Austin. Williams/Romo were still green together and Austin didnt start until the Chiefs game, a few weeks in. Romo did his fair share of carrying this team, all while getting hit more this season than ever before with our line, who was every bit as bad in pass protection.

Romo has gotten a horrible rap for not being a late season QB. But people always fail to mention that our giant O-Line has always broken down considerably late in the season. That playoff game against the Vikings, was pretty much the standard performance out of our o-line the last few years at the end of the year. But Romo certainly made due this year, stepping up his game and finishing off the season incredibly strong. Who knows if Romo will continue to keep the turnovers down...but as of right now, he's elevated his game to a point where I think it's no question, that he is the best QB in the division.

FreshBoy! 05-03-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. (Post 2161183)
Who knows if Romo will continue to keep the turnovers down...but as of right now, he's elevated his game to a point where I think it's no question, that he is the best QB in the division.

Agreed.

One thing I know about Giants fans, are they love and will defend Eli no matter what. While Eagles fans hate they're QB who's dominated a division for a decade. A superbowl victory does wonders sometimes. All stats go out the window once that ring is worn apparently.

Which is fine. One of those things that can't really be argued.

LetsGoGiants! 05-03-2010 04:13 PM

Went with Eli, although Romo is up there. They are so close, it will be exciting to see what they do this season.

BaLLiN 05-03-2010 05:18 PM

its hard to say considering Romo wasn't given a decent starting receiver until week 5 (miles austin). Call me biased, but i pick Eli. It could be my hate for Romo, but i am not a Eli fan. I trade him away in madden to start off lol. People generalize him soo much, and down him alot just off of team success/comparisons to Peyton/past media. Its incredibly unfair because he is nothing like Peyton, nor in a similar situation, he overcame a few years of mediocrity, and our defense has not been incredible. Even in our superbowl year, there were alot of disappointing performances (secondary was a **** hole). Just watch the 50th TD pass from TB to Randy Moss, Sam Madison got injured and James Butler....sucks incredibly.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-03-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. (Post 2161183)
Eli doesnt do much of anything better than Romo. Romo's more accurate, one of the league's best athletes at the position and incredibly evasive in and out of the pocket. His decision making has improved tenfold, and while he remains true to his playmaking or gunslinger self, his ball protection was fantastic. Player to player...system or not, I def. see Romo having more talent all around as a player. As for losing players...the Giants have a fine stable of weapons, so I dont see your point. Smith was healthy the entire year and Nicks and Manningham, who are both better than Williams at this point, did a fine job. Romo was basically throwing to two new starters as well in Williams and Austin. Williams/Romo were still green together and Austin didnt start until the Chiefs game, a few weeks in. Romo did his fair share of carrying this team, all while getting hit more this season than ever before with our line, who was every bit as bad in pass protection.

Romo has gotten a horrible rap for not being a late season QB. But people always fail to mention that our giant O-Line has always broken down considerably late in the season. That playoff game against the Vikings, was pretty much the standard performance out of our o-line the last few years at the end of the year. But Romo certainly made due this year, stepping up his game and finishing off the season incredibly strong. Who knows if Romo will continue to keep the turnovers down...but as of right now, he's elevated his game to a point where I think it's no question, that he is the best QB in the division.


Eli runs the offense much better than Romo can. He is given full latitude to do whatever he wants, and pick his plays out a bunch in the huddle. Eli is the offense.

We lost players, our X and Z Wrs.. You guys always had a X WR, who you traded for. Not our fault he didn't ban out. But at least now you guys quite possibly have an X and Z for the future in Austin and Bryant. I think Williams is right up there as a good WR. Now if he hasn't panned out for whatever reason and underachieved that's his business.

Remember we were all a band of un proven WRs, which Eli made better. This was the sole reason which Accorsi fell in love with Eli. He got a man crush from watching him do the same at ole miss. He made everyone around him better. Who knows if Nicks or Manningham is better, but Eli runs that offense to put his players in the best position to win. Kilbride isn't going to get a HCing job again. Coach Garrett is basically auditioning to be a HC. So you can bet he has the system on his shoulders, and he is the guy calling the plays. Hell, I got to coach with the guy, and he is VERY smart. We ran the same plays you guys run there in Dallas. Amazing plays, and very well drawn up. You can bet he is telling Romo these plays so both can work to do well. Romo gets his stats, and the credit goes to Coach G. so other teams notice. Eli does a lot more in our system, which is no where near as creative, as you guys run there in Dallas.

I think this argument from a non bias perspective will be like the debates we have with Steelers and Chargers fans about the 3 QBs. In the end, all 3 fans love their QB, and wouldn't change that pick. That's not including the mess Big Ben is in now. This was before that drama all arose.

M.O.T.H. 05-03-2010 05:40 PM

You realize Romo pretty much has free reign over the offense at the line now, right? He was certainly one of the best in the league at making adjustments at the line. He's no Peyton, but his ability to make proper hot routes/audibles were top notch. He rarely made mistakes here.

I know you keep saying you lost your x and y...but the replacements played excellent football. Roy Williams dropped perfectly thrown passes. And Romo never seems to get enough credit for making those around him better. Romo can fit the ball in any window, some of these throws he's completing to Witten or Austin are just astouding. Factor in his ability to buy time in the pocket and his creativity. He's just getting better and better. And so is Eli, I dont deny that. But I dont think he's on Romo's level. It's weird because, Romo and Favre are getting even more alike, but now neither "gunslinger" turns the ball over. ha.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-03-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. (Post 2161440)
You realize Romo pretty much has free reign over the offense at the line now, right? He was certainly one of the best in the league at making adjustments at the line. He's no Peyton, but his ability to make proper hot routes/audibles were top notch. He rarely made mistakes here.

I know you keep saying you lost your x and y...but the replacements played excellent football. Roy Williams dropped perfectly thrown passes. And Romo never seems to get enough credit for making those around him better. Romo can fit the ball in any window, some of these throws he's completing to Witten or Austin are just astouding. Factor in his ability to buy time in the pocket and his creativity. He's just getting better and better. And so is Eli, I dont deny that. But I dont think he's on Romo's level. It's weird because, Romo and Favre are getting even more alike, but now neither "gunslinger" turns the ball over.


Yeah all QBs to a certain point step to the line and make a pre snap read. That's a given. And with your respective system the routes are tagged, so it makes thing easier. You can change 1 number and change a specific route, or give a hand signal. That i assumed would be the case having seen the terminology of your system.

Yeah we lost X and Y, but now in hindsight one can say they stepped up. Before these guys were very green. Eli was the guy who had to get these guys better, and put them in position to make plays. Eli does what Romo and all the other QBs do, but he now is in the mold of his brother with total control. He gets a bunch of plays in the huddle and picks his play. Then, like everyone else, can audible out of it. He basically is in position to do what Peyton does. So the fact he had a career year, with no running game, and basically a lack of experienced WRs is amazing. It's not like we had a pro bowl TE helping out either.

Romo will never get credit because of the team he plays for and the weapons he has, and the attention surrounding his players and coaches even. That's pretty much the reality of the situation. You have now a potential stud WR, an emerged WR, an elite TE, very good running back corps, and an elite OC. He is going to get credit but to a certain point. That again, is the reality of the situation.

I love Eli's ability to bring us back when we are done, and ability to keep an even personality. One example is when we played you in the playoffs at your place. I remember seeing Romo have a hissy fit, and screaming at his players. Looked like he was coming unhinged. One intangible is that Eli stays the same. He can shake it off quicker, and go back to his even personality. I love that about him, because I, myself am like that. I am usually the coach who stays leveled, and calms the others when they get all mad and emotional. So I can relate to that kind of intangible.

LonghornsLegend 05-03-2010 05:53 PM

Let's be truthful here.


I really don't think anyone is "wrong" for picking Eli or Romo, there is nothing homer about going with either guy. But I also don't think it's as clear cut and dry with who you should go with. I guarantee you not one Giants fan would trade Eli for Romo and vice versa. A great argument can be made for either, but I don't think there is any "it has to be...." to this, Eli impressed me alot last year but him and Romo continue to get better.



I'm going to go with Romo though. Regular season he's been a far better QB and broken records Dallas QB's never have. Eli has a SB ring and a great run to success through the playoffs that year. I, unlike other people refuse to put all those playoff failures on Romo's shoulders though, and for all we know he could very well win 1 ring before Eli get's #2 so I'm not going to put too much on that.



No reason to get all upset over this one, I'm just more interested in who Skins and Eagles fans vote for. Romo and Eli both catch some hate they really don't deserve, but I can see legit arguments for ranking one above the other both ways.

NY+Giants=NYG 05-03-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 2161466)
Let's be truthful here.


I really don't think anyone is "wrong" for picking Eli or Romo, there is nothing homer about going with either guy. But I also don't think it's as clear cut and dry with who you should go with. I guarantee you not one Giants fan would trade Eli for Romo and vice versa. A great argument can be made for either, but I don't think there is any "it has to be...." to this, Eli impressed me alot last year but him and Romo continue to get better.



I'm going to go with Romo though. Regular season he's been a far better QB and broken records Dallas QB's never have. Eli has a SB ring and a great run to success through the playoffs that year. I, unlike other people refuse to put all those playoff failures on Romo's shoulders though, and for all we know he could very well win 1 ring before Eli get's #2 so I'm not going to put too much on that.



No reason to get all upset over this one, I'm just more interested in who Skins and Eagles fans vote for. Romo and Eli both catch some hate they really don't deserve, but I can see legit arguments for ranking one above the other both ways.



Being a homer wasn't an issue with Moth and I. Moth and yourself are cool guys. I don't consider you guys homers by any stretch. If I felt you guys were, It would be pointless even debating. I am no homer, but in this case, seeing his growth as a QB in a complicated system, I can say, I prefer him for over Romo. Eli has grown in leaps and bounds since we drafted him. Hell, I had to defend him against not only division fans but a lot of our fan base too. So I think he is a special QB, and still will keep getting better.

Todd Bertuzzi 05-03-2010 06:45 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of love for McNabb. People bring up the argument that Eli played hurt most of the year, behind a beat up o-line and with a sub par running game but McNabb faced all of the same problems and still put up numbers that rival Eli's.

McNabb:
14 games, 3553 yards, 22 TDs, 10 INTs, 60.3 comp. %

Eli:
16 games, 4021 yards, 27 TDs, 14 INTs, 62.3 comp. %

Not as clear cut as people think.

princefielder28 05-03-2010 06:50 PM

For me it's Tony Romo followed closely by McNabb. Eli had a magical run through to the Super Bowl, but that was the exception not the rule with him and he's not on the same level as Tony or Donovan.

BaLLiN 05-03-2010 07:54 PM

Comparing stats isn't really fair. Eli left games early (Chiefs & Raiders) but that really shouldn't make a difference anyway.

The real thing is that Eli took the reigns of the offense after it being primarily run to set up the pass. He not only did this, but he also did this with Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Hakeem Nicks, who had like what? 2 starts combined (Mario barely played and Nicks was a rookie). Kevin Boss was taken away quite often by the defense because they knew the WR position was a weakness.

FreshBoy! 05-03-2010 08:07 PM

The problem with that is that all of us fans can find cases to where our QB has won or taken over games. Romo's done it numerous times, so while Stats are misleading, it's really the only thing to backup any claims....

And stats wise, it's not even close...

Romo: 16 Games 4,483 Yards 26 TD's, 9 INTS(3 in the NY game), 63.1% Comp.


It's really a no brainer as far as the NFC east is concerned. He's nearly a top 5 QB in the entire league.

Giantsfan1080 05-04-2010 12:12 AM

What Longhorns said is how I feel. They are both excellent QB's and one team would not trade him for the either. You can't go wrong with either but since I'm a Giants fan I voted Eli.

eaglesalltheway 05-04-2010 06:30 AM

Mike Kafka;).

For now, I still say McNabb. He still has all of his tools and has the intangibles that still puts him ahead of Romo and Eli for me. In a year or two, I thin McNabb may fall a bit, and Kolb could be in the conversation as well, if he does what I expect of him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.