Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State as BCS #1 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43184)

RealityCheck 10-11-2010 02:13 PM

ESPN's Brad Edwards projects Boise State as BCS #1

Quote:

Six weeks into the college football season and one week before the first Bowl Championship Series standings are released, there are 13 unbeaten teams in all three polls.

So who'd be the BCS' No. 1 if the standings came out today? Would it be consensus No. 1 Ohio State, the top team in The Associated Press, USA Today and Harris polls? Or maybe fellow unbeaten Oregon, ranked No. 2 and earning first-place votes in all three polls?

According to the projection of ESPN's Brad Edwards, it's consensus No. 3 Boise State.

According to the projections, the No. 1 Buckeyes would place fifth in the BCS standings, percentage points behind Oklahoma.

Edwards projects the unbeaten Broncos, the highest-ranked team from a non-automatic qualifying conference, as the top team in the standings by a comfortable margin, followed by Oregon. The top two teams in the final regular-season BCS standings play in the BCS National Championship Game.

Fellow BCS buster TCU places third in Edwards' projections, followed by Oklahoma at .8425 and Ohio State at .8421.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5673225

All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the same teams in the title game. Boise deserves a shot at the national title for years, and this year should be THE year.

Shane P. Hallam 10-11-2010 02:26 PM

It won't be if there are two other undefeated teams. They will fall...hard.

Brent 10-11-2010 02:39 PM

I think/hope Nevada beats them.

RealityCheck 10-11-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2331387)
It won't be if there are two other undefeated teams. They will fall...hard.

I think Boise and TCU will go to the NC over Auburn and maybe even LSU or Oklahoma.

Conferences are just overrated. The BCS also considers, a lot, weeks in the ranks.

Bengals78 10-11-2010 03:00 PM

Note to top teams:
Stop playing good teams. Schedule two mediocre ones at best, barely win, play powder puff conference teams and play for a NC.
Good message to send.

steelernation77 10-11-2010 04:58 PM

Boise State and TCU have no business ever being in a National Championship game.

Michigan 10-11-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealityCheck (Post 2331406)
I think Boise and TCU will go to the NC over Auburn and maybe even LSU or Oklahoma.

I'd be pretty upset if that happened. SOS should be a big factor, even if its unfair to legitimately good non-AQ teams.

Rabscuttle 10-11-2010 06:12 PM

The rankings will change significantly as BSU's and TCU's schedules weaken over time and the other top teams get into the meat of their schedule. Boise has to hope for VaTech and Oregon State to run the table to have anything noteworthy on their schedule. VaTech could possibly do that with their schedule and climb back into the rankings to help Boise's case. OSU finishes against USC, Stanford and Oregon. Hoping for the Beavers to be ranked when all is said and done is pushing it. Nevada may climb a bit, but they will get murdered in the polls with a loss to Boise.

Sniper 10-11-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelernation77 (Post 2331606)
Boise State and TCU have no business ever being in a National Championship game.

I love you.

Smooth Criminal 10-11-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Conferences are just overrated. The BCS also considers, a lot, weeks in the ranks.

That's a complete joke. You think they'd make it over Auburn or LSU, that would have to go through a ridiculously tough SEC schedule.

I can understand arguing Boise over Nebraska, who plays a very weak schedule, but anyone other then them is just wrong.

If Boise wants a national title they're gonna have to do more then play the schedule they do. I don't want to hear how it's not their fault who they play, because it's no one elses job to get them a schedule.

Shane P. Hallam 10-11-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

You are joking, right? An undefeated SEC team doesn't go over Boise? An undefeated Big 12 team? You can say it is overrated, but it sure counts.

brat316 10-11-2010 08:29 PM

I actually hope both of them play each other. After that people will finally realize something is wrong with the way the NCAA FBS Champion is picked.

DeathbyStat 10-11-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 2331435)
Note to top teams:
Stop playing good teams. Schedule two mediocre ones at best, barely win, play powder puff conference teams and play for a NC.
Good message to send.

Completely agree why schedule anyone outside of the sunbelt and the Mac

DeathbyStat 10-11-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealityCheck (Post 2331374)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5673225

All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the same teams in the title game. Boise deserves a shot at the national title for years, and this year should be THE year.

Is this guy usually accurate?

brat316 10-11-2010 08:48 PM

get rid of this system then we wouldn't have to argue.

brat316 10-11-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathbyStat (Post 2331973)
Is this guy usually accurate?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...roadtobcs/0901

last year

Smooth Criminal 10-11-2010 08:58 PM

The system is broken, but rewarding teams for playing the weakest schedules definitely isn't the solution.

SickwithIt1010 10-11-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelernation77 (Post 2331606)

Thats where youre wrong, why the **** not?

Boise comes out every year and throws out an open challenge to everyone in the country because they wanna raise their SOS....they even make the challenge saying they dont have to set up a home at home....they will go to play at the other teams' place. Its not their fault that every team in college football is scared of em because they dont have a ****** sack.

They have done everything they have been asked to do....they deserve the chance if they go undefeated. Stop being a hater.

brat316 10-11-2010 09:10 PM

Reward them so more people realize it broken and then want to do something about it.

Pretty much once the big conference have a whole in their pocket from not getting that BCS Championship game, they'll want to do something about it.

SickwithIt1010 10-11-2010 09:17 PM

http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

And BSU's schedule is actually not that much weaker than most teams....i mean cmon OSU is sitting at 93 for shits' sake. and Oregon at 113....really scheduling some juggernauts.

dabears10 10-11-2010 09:18 PM

What happens if at the end of the season Virginia Tech wins the ACC and Oregon State wins the Pac-10? Does Boise get any credit for beating two BCS bowl teams?

descendency 10-11-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Note to top teams:
Good message to send.

I hate to tell you, but this has been the strategy for quite a few national champions in the past.

"Tough conference games" and an out of conference schedule that would be easy for an FCS team.

brat316 10-11-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears10 (Post 2332030)
What happens if at the end of the season Virginia Tech wins the ACC and Oregon State wins the Pac-10? Does Boise get any credit for beating two BCS bowl teams?

Don't be stupid. That doesn't count, it only matters where those teams where when they got beat.

But for other teams it will matter just not for Boise. If SC wins the SEC, well Bama lost to the SECzzz speeddzz champions, so its okay that they are ranked higher as a 1 loss team then the undefeated teams.

yodabear 10-11-2010 09:40 PM

There is no way in Hell Boise State and TCU play each other in the NC. I'll chop off my balls. Now, under the right circumstances I wanna see one of them get a shot at the power in the NC, but like some1 else said, even if Boise is #1 right away...Ohio State plays Iowa and Michigan, a SEC team goes undefeated. Oregon keep it going, and Boise will fall no matter what.

P-L 10-11-2010 10:37 PM

The ignorance in regards to this subject is just mind-boggling. I keep hearing excuses, excuses, and more excuses but no solutions to the problem. It's too easy just to keep spouting off "OMG!!! They only play two good teamzz. They suck. LOL!!!" without actually putting any thought into what you're saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2331918)
If Boise wants a national title they're gonna have to do more then play the schedule they do. I don't want to hear how it's not their fault who they play, because it's no one elses job to get them a schedule.

Do you know how college football scheduling works? YOU CAN'T PUT A TEAM ON YOUR SCHEDULE IF THEY DON'T WANT TO SCHEDULE YOU. So yeah, it kind of is other teams' jobs to get them a tougher schedule. You think Alabama is begging Boise for a game but the Broncos said "Nah, we'll schedule Toledo instead"? In case you missed it Boise State just joined a conference starting next year featuring four other very solid teams just to watch two of those teams get up and leave the conference immediately after. Please explain to me a realistic way for Boise State to strengthen it's schedule. If you know how they can, and it sounds like you do, I would like to know. Gene Bleymaier is dying to know as well.

Quote:

Note to top teams:
Good message to send.

Win all of your games? Too ******* bad your not going to the National Championship game. We like this team who didn't win all of their games better.

Much better message to send.