Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   This season's terrible officiating.(not a rant) (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43437)

General Zod 10-25-2010 05:41 PM

This season's terrible officiating.(not a rant)

This is a pretty good recap of the big blown calls this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

I know there are several more this season that are not pictured their. But so many of these bad calls this season are of the game deciding variety. Whats even worse is a lot of these get reviewed, and they still blow the call.

killxswitch 10-25-2010 05:48 PM

This why the NFL should automate as much of this as possible. I don't give a **** about the "human element" of officiating or any of that BS.

V.I.P 10-25-2010 06:12 PM

In my opinion we should replace human refs with robot refs, and there should be a chip in the football, censor on the goal line. When the chip crosses the plain the ball will light up and start beeping.

/weird fantasy

BeerBaron 10-25-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2351508)
This why the NFL should automate as much of this as possible. I don't give a **** about the "human element" of officiating or any of that BS.

Agreed. "Human element" = "Human error."

Things I'd like to see:

-Buzzers on the officials that go off when the play clock hits 0.

-Any questionable play can be reviewed immediately by a replay official. No calling the ref over or anything stupid like that....the official in the booth sees the replay as soon as it is available, typically a few seconds after the play, and can decide if it deserves another look. If it does, he watches it again...sees different angles if need be, then sends the correct call down to the officials on the field. It would take under 30 seconds for even the most complex calls.

Scotty D 10-25-2010 06:16 PM

Gene Steratore's crew is responsible for #1 and #2.

Hines 10-25-2010 06:21 PM

I agree that the Dolphins got jibbed out of that game, but that's not the reason why they lost the game.

Shane P. Hallam 10-25-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2351550)

Things I'd like to see:

-Any questionable play can be reviewed immediately by a replay official. No calling the ref over or anything stupid like that....the official in the booth sees the replay as soon as it is available, typically a few seconds after the play, and can decide if it deserves another look. If it does, he watches it again...sees different angles if need be, then sends the correct call down to the officials on the field. It would take under 30 seconds for even the most complex calls.

For your first one, you'd have to change the rule. The rule isn't "clock hits 0=delay of game"

I do agree with censors on the goal line however...

BeerBaron 10-25-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2351565)
For your first one, you'd have to change the rule. The rule isn't "clock hits 0=delay of game"

I do agree with censors on the goal line however...

So you agree with the BS about the official needs to see it hit 0 and then see that the ball still isn't snapped or however it's written? So dumb.....When it hits 0, whistles should be blowing like crazy.

yourfavestoner 10-25-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2351550)

Things I'd like to see:

Eh, that's what college football does and it seems like every single game has a stretch where five or six plays in a row end up getting reviewed, completely killing the momentum of the game.

Bad calls have never been something that have bothered me. I've found, through both playing and coaching, that calls even out over the course of a season. Nobody ever remembers bad calls that go in your favor, or stuff you get away with that ends up a no-call. For every call that goes against my team, I notice five other things that they got away with. It happens in every game to every team.

T-RICH49 10-25-2010 06:35 PM

Brandon Flowers "PI" should be higher then 4.and Brandon Carr's "PI" should have been on this list as well

BaLLiN 10-25-2010 06:39 PM

It's not like this doesn't happen like every season though. The big thing is whatever this rule is when the player catches it in the endzone that happened to Megatron, stuff like that is unacceptable.

Another thing to think about is a lesser pass interference penalty, offenses are given too much, and it can decide games (ex. denver versus jets). If that can happen, why dont QB's just throw a bomb and hope for a P.I., its not football, thats not a way to win.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-25-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HinesWardJr (Post 2351560)
I agree that the Dolphins got jibbed out of that game, but that's not the reason why they lost the game.

That's a tough argument to make considering they would have kneeled down to win the game.

Hines 10-25-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) (Post 2351591)
That's a tough argument to make considering they would have kneeled down to win the game.

There was I think 2:33 and the Steelers had all three timeouts. The Dolphins were given two fumbles in or around the red zone and only got 6 points. Also, they had a chance at the end, and got like 3 yards.

prock 10-25-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HinesWardJr (Post 2351594)
There was I think 2:33 and the Steelers had all three timeouts. The Dolphins were given two fumbles in or around the red zone and only got 6 points. Also, they had a chance at the end, and got like 3 yards.

No, that call was definitely the reason they lost.

Chucky 10-25-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

That is all irrelevant.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-25-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Oh, I thought they had no timeouts. Either way though, they get the ball at their 20, and at the absolute minimum force Pittsburgh to use either their 3 timeouts or wait till the two-minute warning after exhausting two timeouts. That's if they didn't get a first down.

Hines 10-25-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) (Post 2351604)
Oh, I thought they had no timeouts. Either way though, they get the ball at their 20, and at the absolute minimum force Pittsburgh to use either their 3 timeouts or wait till the two-minute warning after exhausting two timeouts. That's if they didn't get a first down.

Oh trust me, I know. All I am saying is that Miami had oppertunities to win this game before that play and failed to do so. Yes the Steelers got a call their way, but it shouldn't have even come to that.

The Unseen 10-25-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 2351572)
Eh, that's what college football does and it seems like every single game has a stretch where five or six plays in a row end up getting reviewed, completely killing the momentum of the game.

Bad calls have never been something that have bothered me. I've found, through both playing and coaching, that calls even out over the course of a season. Nobody ever remembers bad calls that go in your favor, or stuff you get away with that ends up a no-call. For every call that goes against my team, I notice five other things that they got away with. It happens in every game to every team.

This is the Ketchmanite argument, and I hate it. sorry.

it happens equally =/= it is good

LizardState 10-25-2010 08:12 PM

transcribed from game thread:

anyone else see the Pittsburgh non-TD they gave them today on ESPN? They showed it from a new angle & it was complete BJ for the Steelers as usual. No way was that a TD, ball came out on a green playing field, nowhere near the goal linethey said it was the "correct interpretation of a bad rule," what crap. The rule must be When in doubt, hand job for the Steelers.

LizardState 10-25-2010 08:12 PM

dbl post lo siento.

AHungryWalrus 10-25-2010 08:20 PM

I don't see why that Santonio call was so controversial. Hill facemasked him on the play, and Holmes STILL almost caught the ball...

yourfavestoner 10-25-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 2351714)
This is the Ketchmanite argument, and I hate it. sorry.

it happens equally =/= it is good

But what would equal good? Officiating will never be completely perfect or fair.

Like I said, bad calls even out over the course of a season. People never notice or care about the ones that work in their favor. They only care when it works against them.

As the great shirpa Rasheed Wallance once said, "Ball don't lie."

I will admit, though, that the coaches challenge system is stupid and ineffective.

General Zod 10-25-2010 08:39 PM

Im not sure if the college style system of reviewing plays would be helpful, since the refs have been blowing those as well it seems.

(neg rep for starting this thread? really? And I didnt even mention the Shancoe TD)

LizardState 10-25-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 2351841)
Im not sure if the college style system of reviewing plays would be helpful, since the refs have been blowing those as well it seems.

(neg rep for starting this thread? really? And I didnt even mention the Shancoe TD)

Gen. Z should have positive rep for this thread, entirely appropriate. The rule changes & the Commissioner blow.

yo123 10-25-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 2351841)

Lolz oh Packer fans.