Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Cowboys Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fix the Cowboys (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43705)

thule 11-08-2010 07:20 PM

Fix the Cowboys

I'd like to start this post off by saying this is what I would do not what I think will be done.

Pre Free Agency

Don't resign - 6, 4 starters
Alan Ball - project failed
Alex Barron
Jason Hatcher
Kyle Koiser
Gerald Sensabaugh
Marcus Spears

This is probably the hardest decision. Taking a quick look at this list I think I'd probably have to keep one of the DE's. I'm going with Bowen because he can also contribute as a pass rusher inside in 40 fronts. I actually like Sensabaugh but maybe you can find something better. I also like Koiser but he just can't stay healthy and isn't getting any younger.

Resign
Doug Free
Sam Hurd
Stephen Bowen

Cuts - 5, 5 starters
Marion Barber - cut him now and save 24 million over the rest of his contract.
Keith Brooking - save around 2 million
Marc Columbo - save 17 million in base salary over the course of his deal
Leonard Davis - Save 12 million over last 3 years...owe him 6 still from bonuses.
Roy Williams - Save over 30 million over next 4 years...he's nice player but money can be better spent.

Restructure
Terrence Newman - he's deal declines over the rest of his years...but he needs to restructure. If not i'd cut him because he isn't worth near 10 million a year with his performance...I do like him tho. Think he should able to play as a nickel cb for atleast 3-4 more years at a high level.

Right away you see 11 roster spots open up. 9 of them are starting positions...that is about as close to blowing up a team as you'll see nowadays. The big reason I make all these cuts is because this is an uncapped year and this is when you can rid yourself of bad contracts. Barbers and Roy Williams is the worst so they have to go although they aren't awful players by any means. Brooking/Columbo/LD are just past their primes and aren't worth the dollars they are getting anymore. Only money we have going out is a new deal to Free....it's essential we get him back...versatility is key with him...I love him at LT...but he can also play right effectively too.

Free Agency
Jared Gaither, BAL
Matt Light, NE
Jermon Bushrod, NO
Carl Nicks, NO
Logan Mankins, NE
Justin Blalock, ATL
Johnny Jolly, GB - legal issues
Cullen Jenkins, GB
Antoine Bethea, IND
Bernard Pollard, HOU

Need 2 OL out of that class. And the hardest thing I think that there is to project right now is what defense we are going to run. I think of likely hires and they all seem to run a 4-3 defense. That said I'm not going to go deep into the DL guys...if we run a 40 front obviously things will change. But we definitely need some more bodies on the DL because we let older pieces go.

One thing to keep in mind is the CB in FA. It is a amazing this year with talent...if you wanted to move Newman you could add another body from FA...but cost would likely be the same if not more.

The safety class is pretty weak...so maybe this is why you keep sensabaugh around because don't really see anyone that sticks out...that said a body is going to have to be signed whether it's sensy or someone else.

Post FA
We have to pick up 2 starting OL...preferably a OT and a OG. That said if we see a RT we like in the draft going inside twice would make sense.

We also need to add a body to the DL. Depending on what front we go with it should probably be a DE in a 30 or a DT in a 40. I have a hunch Shaun Rogers will be cut after this season...I have no problem with adding him to rotate with Brent. I am moving Ratliff to DE if I stay in 30 front and probably have him and Bowen starting. That said tons of 5-techs in this draft so you could easily get by with drafting one early and starting them from day 1.

Last food for thought is LBers. Lee is starting regardless...and I can't see James leaving until the next year. That said if we go to a 40 front we are going to be looking for a pure Will backer. There are a few of them in FA to look at. Either way I don't see a starter getting added if we stick with the 34.

Draft
I'm going to assume we finish with the 4th pick here...moderately conservative...but this should be about right. If we pick #1 idc how talented you think this team is...there is a deep seeded problem and rebuilding is very necessary. That is why I'd go Luck..he gives us a bigger window to win than with Romo..and while I love Romo we can't just look to win in the next 2 years...

That said
#4 targets
Patrick Peterson*, CB, LSU - I think he can be a difference maker at safety early...if you get a shot at him you have to go with him. It'll depend on who picks first Dallas or Detroit.

Marcell Dareus*, DE/DT, Alabama - This guy is also just one of those players that when you put on the tape he looks like he is just on another level physically. He looks like a man amongst boys. He isn't quite the caliber that Suh was coming out...but right behind him I'd say. If we miss out on Peterson he is a fine consolation prize.

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - Lastly I love Prince on the field...think he'll come in and contribute early in his career. I love him as a press corner and think he's the total package. That said pick 4 might be a little high for him being that he isn't suppose to test out as an elite prospect...so I nice guy to look to move down for. Hopefully QB's like Mallett and Locker up their status's so that moving into the top 5 has substance...because doesn't look like a OT will be a position for teams to move up.

2nd Round Targets
Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida
Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU
Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

When I break down this draft class I see there is dirty starting value in the 30-40 range. These guys probably won't make it to the pro bowl...but they should be able to contribute early as all three have starting experience on good teams for multiple years. RT or RG looks likely here. Outside shot at CB if we go elsewhere early. However I think that the top DL will be off the board and it's a bit of a drop off after the top tier of DL go.

3rd on down
Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple
Titus Young, WR, Boise State
Benjamin Ijalana, G/OT, Villanova
Cedric Thornton, DE/DT, Central Arkansas
Caleb King*, RB, Georgia

I noted in a previous post that I liked both of these players based just off of what i've read this year. Both guys I'd be comfortable asking to start I think. Jarrett is underrated and I like him more than anyone except Deunta Williams but I think Jarrett later is a better value.

Lastly you could probably add a WR and RB late along with a LB.

That said here is the changes I'd make from 2010-2011

Patrick Peterson - Alan Ball
Sam Young - Alex Barron
Cedric Thornton - Jason Hatcher
Carl Nicks - Leonard Davis
Logan Mankins - Kyle Koiser
Bernard Pollard - Gerald Sensabaugh
Johnny Jolly - Marcus Spears
Caleb King - Marion Barber
Sean Lee - Keith Brooking
Joseph Barksdale - Marc Columbo
Sam Hurd/Titus Young - Roy Williams

Main theme here. Retool OL. Pick a defense and build it stronger up the middle. Need to get a playmaker at safety.

LizardState 11-08-2010 07:40 PM

Good post, Ultima Thule.

Quote:

Cuts: Marcus Spears
I agree, cut Spears & keep Olshansky if comes down to one. And you want younger legs at DE, maybe more so than any other defensive spot except corner.

Hopefully Barber could restructure but retaining Choice, who I think has never fully been given his shot, would be an adequate compnsation & draft in late rds for RB depth.

D-Unit 11-08-2010 07:48 PM

Excellente! I was typing up my own, so I'll put it here afterwards. Only real difference was mine was focused solely on the OL... and I didn't think we could do it in 1 year. Mine was a 2 year plan, based mainly off the idea that we wouldn't land 2 OL in FA. Just one. If we could land 2, which is very possible, then I could see us being drastically improved in 1 offseason. But yeah, you'll see it later.

I like where you have us heading. That's an aggressive plan, but I like it overall. Question... which 2 OL would you take if you could aim for 2? I've soured on Gaither...just too many injury concerns. Light is too old. I never liked Bushrod, especially after we manhandled him last year, but I hear Saints fans like him. I loved Nicks in the draft and he has only impressed in the NFL, so I would love to target him. Plus I think he's gettable. Saints gave Jahri Evans a huge contract last year and I think it would be tough for them to tie up 2 high priced guards. Blalock obviously would be my #1 choice, but I think ATL locks him up.

I'll make some more comments later. I'm leaving now.

J-Mike88 11-08-2010 07:58 PM

Gotta keep #72 on the team.

Would any of you trade Felix for a 2nd round pick?
To Mia or NE maybe?
Not much of a market for RBs out there.

xxxxxxxx 11-08-2010 08:11 PM

Thule, I agree with pretty much everything.

O-line must be revamped. 2 in free agency, and 2 in the top 4 rounds. Free must be re-signed, and maybe you take back Kosier for cheap and move Gurode to guard. Small (yes, I am now calling leonard davis small, that *****) and colombo need to be gone. And I want maulers. We can have a finesse right tackle I guess, but I want the guards to be BEASTS.

D-line. Ratliff and brent are keepers. I wouldn't mind moving Ratliff to DE. Igor, bring to training camp. Bowen needs to be re-signed, Hatcher could be back. I still like his potential. Spears... PEACE.

Linebacker, I think James deserves to be back. He is actually having a good year. He is playing with some type of heart, the most you can play with on this team. Brooking is gone, unless he wants to play for free. Lee is the starter by default, judging by that video and his work ethic I expect him to be atleast solid.

Secondary, secondary, secondary. This is my one disagreement with you.. Sensabaugh is a JAG. We need both safeties to be new starters. Cornerback, you can't give up on Jenkins, just have to hope he bounces back. Scandrick, you take him to training camp and see what happens. Newman, who knows if he'll be willing to restructured, but he deserves to be back. Peterson would be nice.

Running back. Choice needs to start. We need is energy and enthusiasm. Barber, get out. You've been an honorable cowboy, but you trip over your own feet after every 3 steps. I'll toss him to a team for a 6th rounder. Felix, find situations to get him in space. He isn't an every down guy. Sorry. Draft another guy who runs north and south in the later rounds.

As for receivers and tight ends, Bennett is a bust, time to cut the ties. Phillips coming back will be big. The kid is a BALLER. Witten will do his thing. Miles and Dez on the outside should be dominant. Hurd in the slot. Ogletree? Bring him to training camp.

So, like it's been stated, revamp the o-line, almost revamp the d-line, draft peterson, oh and having a BOOT CAMP TRAINING CAMP.

thule 11-08-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardState (Post 2373142)
Good post, Ultima Thule.

I agree, cut Spears & keep Olshansky if comes down to one. And you want younger legs at DE, maybe more so than any other defensive spot except corner.

Hopefully Barber could restructure but retaining Choice, who I think has never fully been given his shot, would be an adequate compnsation & draft in late rds for RB depth.

Just to clarify.

Spears is a FA after this year...so we aren't cutting him...we just aren't offering him a new deal. However that said if we stay in a 30 front I don't have a big problem bringing him back as long as the deal is reasonable...I've been a huge Spears downer in the past and still I'm not a fan...but that said you can only address so many holes in a season.

And Olshansky is under contract. Now I no way think that he is playing anywhere above average for us...but similar to Spears you can only address so many holes in an offseason. Plus he is a average player making average dollars...unlike the others that appear in the cut section.

xxxxxxxx 11-08-2010 08:19 PM

Atleast Garrett sounded like a boss in his presser...

Thule, what are your thoughts on the coaching prospects this off-season?

You left that out.

thule 11-08-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 2373175)
Gotta keep #72 on the team.

Would any of you trade Felix for a 2nd round pick?
To Mia or NE maybe?
Not much of a market for RBs out there.

#72 is Bowen, and he is the one out of the 3 5-techs that I decided to keep that were going into FA.

Felix isn't going anywhere. He's proven he can get it done...with a average OL in front of him I think we'll see his numbers go back up. We are talking about someone who was on pace to break the NFL record for highest YPC his rookie year. Blocking is the failure in the running game....Barber is only out because his cap number exceeds his production.

thule 11-08-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2373157)
Excellente! I was typing up my own, so I'll put it here afterwards. Only real difference was mine was focused solely on the OL... and I didn't think we could do it in 1 year. Mine was a 2 year plan, based mainly off the idea that we wouldn't land 2 OL in FA. Just one. If we could land 2, which is very possible, then I could see us being drastically improved in 1 offseason. But yeah, you'll see it later.

I like where you have us heading. That's an aggressive plan, but I like it overall. Question... which 2 OL would you take if you could aim for 2? I've soured on Gaither...just too many injury concerns. Light is too old. I never liked Bushrod, especially after we manhandled him last year, but I hear Saints fans like him. I loved Nicks in the draft and he has only impressed in the NFL, so I would love to target him. Plus I think he's gettable. Saints gave Jahri Evans a huge contract last year and I think it would be tough for them to tie up 2 high priced guards. Blalock obviously would be my #1 choice, but I think ATL locks him up.

I'll make some more comments later. I'm leaving now.

I think ideally we go interior OL in FA and then draft a RT. That said I'm not opposed to getting just one interior guy in FA and going RT in the draft. While Holland isn't anything better than average on a good day he has starting experience and aside from mobility he has done a decent job when inserted into the starting lineup. Interior OL depth would need to be addressed...but if we can bring in 1 talent from FA...the top of the 2nd round is a great spot to pick up another starter. RT/OG.

Ya just for the reports I'd like to target Nicks. But I also wouldn't mind going after either Patriot guy...one of them should see the market...that said I also tend to go with white OL.

thule 11-08-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDCB14 (Post 2373217)
Thule, I agree with pretty much everything.

O-line must be revamped. 2 in free agency, and 2 in the top 4 rounds. Free must be re-signed, and maybe you take back Kosier for cheap and move Gurode to guard. Small (yes, I am now calling leonard davis small, that *****) and colombo need to be gone. And I want maulers. We can have a finesse right tackle I guess, but I want the guards to be BEASTS.

D-line. Ratliff and brent are keepers. I wouldn't mind moving Ratliff to DE. Igor, bring to training camp. Bowen needs to be re-signed, Hatcher could be back. I still like his potential. Spears... PEACE.

Linebacker, I think James deserves to be back. He is actually having a good year. He is playing with some type of heart, the most you can play with on this team. Brooking is gone, unless he wants to play for free. Lee is the starter by default, judging by that video and his work ethic I expect him to be atleast solid.

Secondary, secondary, secondary. This is my one disagreement with you.. Sensabaugh is a JAG. We need both safeties to be new starters. Cornerback, you can't give up on Jenkins, just have to hope he bounces back. Scandrick, you take him to training camp and see what happens. Newman, who knows if he'll be willing to restructured, but he deserves to be back. Peterson would be nice.

Running back. Choice needs to start. We need is energy and enthusiasm. Barber, get out. You've been an honorable cowboy, but you trip over your own feet after every 3 steps. I'll toss him to a team for a 6th rounder. Felix, find situations to get him in space. He isn't an every down guy. Sorry. Draft another guy who runs north and south in the later rounds.

As for receivers and tight ends, Bennett is a bust, time to cut the ties. Phillips coming back will be big. The kid is a BALLER. Witten will do his thing. Miles and Dez on the outside should be dominant. Hurd in the slot. Ogletree? Bring him to training camp.

So, like it's been stated, revamp the o-line, almost revamp the d-line, draft peterson, oh and having a BOOT CAMP TRAINING CAMP.

Just for topics of discussion.

I'd bring back Spears before Hatcher because at least Spears has proven durable over his career...Hatcher just can't stay healthy.

You disagree with me on the secondary...but look at FA...unless some unforseeable cuts are made which is extremely possible, it looks to be slim pickings. Very rarely do you see a top flight S available in FA...who is the last one even...all the ones that do seem to be past their primes anyways? I like Peterson as a football player...I don't think he is someone who is going to come in right away tho and shut down one side of the field. Peterson is more of a piece of clay. And although he is suppose to have elite speed he does have safety esque qualities. I think with the lack of FA depth and lack of S talent in this draft class that maybe you have him make the switch and then just coach coach coach.

I'll disagree that choice needs to start...I have no problem with him being the 3rd down back tho. He needs to see the field...and splitting carries between the 2 shouldn't be an issue. But what it ultimately comes down to from my pov is you have to give your gamebreakers enough touches to break the game. Felix has it whether it's shown this year or not...he does have it and has proven it on the NFL level. He needs more touches than Choice...but that said Choice has proven he can get it done in the NFL also so he has earned the touches coming his way.

Why cut Bennett? He has improved every year here. He is a very important staple of our running game...he is a above average blocker for the position and he is only scheduled to make less than a million dollars. Plus he is still like 22 years old. No reason to cut him...he might come off as immature but it's not like he is a locker room cancer. Depth is a good thing...you don't cut players who aren't meeting their expectations when they are cheap and servicable. Look at Marcus Spears...very similar views on those two. Both are just average guys...can't have superstars everywhere at every level.

JJJ888 11-08-2010 08:38 PM

There's one clear solution to fixing the Cowboys offensive line problems (and therefore the whole team): bring back Cory Procter. Bigg and Columbo have clearly gone astray without their Heavy Metal buddy. Bring the band back together, and BOOM!--Cowboys win out, all the way to the Super Bowl.

In fact, we should probably just let Cory Procter coach the team. He'll probably call better plays than Garrett, and will definitely be more inspirational.

Xiomera 11-08-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJJ888 (Post 2373303)
There's one clear solution to fixing the Cowboys offensive line problems (and therefore the whole team): bring back Cory Procter. Bigg and Columbo have clearly gone astray without their Heavy Metal buddy. Bring the band back together, and BOOM!--Cowboys win out, all the way to the Super Bowl.

In fact, we should probably just let Cory Procter coach the team. He'll probably call better plays than Garrett, and will definitely be more inspirational.

TRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS!

xxxxxxxx 11-08-2010 08:46 PM

Thule, I will admit I am wrong with Bennett. Didn't know his contract situation. But, Phillips should be #2 coming into next years training camp.

Does anyone know John Phillips Contract situation?

Edit: 4 year deal. through 2012

thule 11-08-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDCB14 (Post 2373330)
Thule, I will admit I am wrong with Bennett. Didn't know his contract situation. But, Phillips should be #2 coming into next years training camp.

Does anyone know John Phillips Contract situation?

2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000,

for the record Bennett is actually making just over 500k, so it's less than i originally said.

Competition is a good thing...noone needs to be penciled in as a starter on this team...Bennett/Phillips can battle it out for the 2nd spot...there should be no entitlement on this team.

dsc1600 11-10-2010 10:17 AM

I think you're right on Columbo being overpaid, but I don't know if it makes sense to cut him and Davis in the same year. I think he's got another year left of decent play. Better option than sending an untested rookie out there.

I also think you keep Sensabaugh, agree he's a JAG, but every team has a few of those guys and he would be good depth even if you found a starter there.

I really think we need to address pash rush as well. We just aren't getting to the QB, interested to see what if any difference there'll be post-Wade in the next 8 games.

E-Man 11-10-2010 11:52 AM

The line needs to be redone, but I'd keep three of them just to make the transition easier for younger guys. Davis makes too much and should be gone, and Columbo isn't much anymore. Both guys have run their course here and need to be cut. Keeping Free, Kosier, and Gurode gives at least some cohesion while inserting new starters on the right.

The only reason why I'd cut Barber is for money purposes, and I'd cut him since you have two good backs behind in him Felix and Choice. No matter who is the coach next season, the running game still will be important. You have two good backs already, so no need in trading either or them for anything unless some miracle falls in your lap.

Roy is the big question mark. Prior to Romo getting hurt he was looking like he'll have a Pro Bowl year with about 12 TDs. That's good and all, but Dez is slowly but surely growing into a great WR and Miles despite his drops is still having a pretty damn good year. Roy's contract makes it easier to cut him, but if they found a way to restructure it might work since he and Romo finally got some chemistry. To get more players though I'd cut him and free up some room.

On defense it really depends on what the scheme will be next year. If the new coach brings in a 4-3 then I'd focus more on getting linebackers. The switch would probably make the front 4 look like Ware, Ratliff, Igor/Bowen, Spencer. I'd be pretty content with that, but at backer what do you have? Lee and Bradie on the outside with Brooking on the inside? Bradie is stable but not great. I like Lee a lot, but his injury issues worry me. Brooking has heart, and I'd keep him but not as a starter. What linebackers are free agents that could come in and start for Brooking in the middle?

Even if they stick with a 3-4, something needs to be changed in the middle. It's just too wide open, and it has been for years. At D-line you could sign a guy to man the left end spot, or you could move Ratliff out there and get a nose. With the backers there needs to be a rock that makes teams think twice about throwing inside.

As far as the secondary goes, everyone is in agreement that at the very least Ball should never start a game again. Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS. Everyone's eyes are on Patrick Peterson, and rightfully so. There's always a chance that you won't get him though. What if he doesn't come out, or what if someone ahead of them grabs him? There are a number of variables, so I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket with him. Hell what if you like Prince better and go after him instead? It could be a situation like Ware and Merriman where you go back in forth over who you like better up until it's time to pick. Either way it goes, that position needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Even getting a vet in there for insurance while Peterson grows would be better than doing nothing like last year. Sensy isn't so bad. He reminds me a little bit of Kosier in the sense that fans dislike him a bit as a guy who brings nothing, but he's actually decent. He's no world beater at all, but he rarely causes problems and will occasionally make a play. He pairs well with Newman, and if you notice that side hasn't really been giving up too many points this year. Granted you have Ball, Scandrick, and an inconsistent Jenkins running around, but they still are pretty stable.

At corner you can go many different places. If Newman and Jenkins are still the starters it's not too bad considering that they're both good players. The key is getting a third corner that could come in and not be a liability. If it's a guy like Prince I'd be thrilled. The same thing if they decide to get Peterson and keep him at corner. A free agent would work here as well.

Trogdor 11-10-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Man (Post 2375514)
Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS.

We won't find out till next year. He had a high ankle sprain and he was put on IR along with Spears to make room for DE depth guys. AoA can eventually be that guy but with only one full TC and an offseason program (next year) and an under his belt along with not playing a true FS in college I think his odds of being 'that guy' are slim. He's a project and I think we're going to have to be patient. 100% agree on Ball. If he comes back it's as a 3rd/4th CB. He ALMOST makes me miss Hamlin. :mrgreen:

I think if we are top 5 we have to go with whatever value is present (i.e not offensive lineman). PP would probably be the most likely although I'm MUCH more interested in that high 2nd. Perhaps a guy like Gabe Carimi if he happens to slip there would be absolutely what the doctor ordered. Still too far out to find out how much stocks are going to make it's entirely possible a guy with Sherrod pushes his stock top 10... although I'm not buying him as our choice.

I hope that we are active in FA although not to the point of going overboard. This oline doesn't need to be replaced with Leonard Davis sized contracts. Going from below average to average would be enough to restart our struggling offense.

DiG 11-10-2010 12:26 PM

damn thats one hell of an aggressive FA plan. It would be great but personally I find it quite unrealistic from the outside looking in.

LonghornsLegend 11-10-2010 12:34 PM

Thule you honestly think were gonna get Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins in one off-season? I think that's wishful thinking at best, the chances of that happening are slim to none, hell those players may not even be FA's let alone end up on our team.

Also, we have to put FS on the board with our 2nd round pick. Deunta Williams and Rahim Moore will be available there, probably first crack at a safety with that pick, so we need to weight their value with a lineman there.

E-Man 11-10-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 2375540)
We won't find out till next year. He had a high ankle sprain and he was put on IR along with Spears to make room for DE depth guys. AoA can eventually be that guy but with only one full TC and an offseason program (next year) and an under his belt along with not playing a true FS in college I think his odds of being 'that guy' are slim. He's a project and I think we're going to have to be patient. 100% agree on Ball. If he comes back it's as a 3rd/4th CB. He ALMOST makes me miss Hamlin. :mrgreen:

I think if we are top 5 we have to go with whatever value is present (i.e not offensive lineman). PP would probably be the most likely although I'm MUCH more interested in that high 2nd. Perhaps a guy like Gabe Carimi if he happens to slip there would be absolutely what the doctor ordered. Still too far out to find out how much stocks are going to make it's entirely possible a guy with Sherrod pushes his stock top 10... although I'm not buying him as our choice.

I hope that we are active in FA although not to the point of going overboard. This oline doesn't need to be replaced with Leonard Davis sized contracts. Going from below average to average would be enough to restart our struggling offense.

Damn. I didn't know AOA was on IR now. It's worrying me that he and Lee seem to have injury issues. I like AOA as a project because he's at least decent as a return guy. McCann does look better as a returner though, so maybe he gets the 4th CB spot while AOA is a straight safety.

I absolutely agree on the O-line thing. No need for the bigger contracts that may bite you in the ass later. Look at what happened when Rivera came on board. They can fix the line with a good FA if they don't do what got them there in the first place.

thule 11-12-2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc1600 (Post 2375399)
I think you're right on Columbo being overpaid, but I don't know if it makes sense to cut him and Davis in the same year. I think he's got another year left of decent play. Better option than sending an untested rookie out there.

I also think you keep Sensabaugh, agree he's a JAG, but every team has a few of those guys and he would be good depth even if you found a starter there.

I really think we need to address pash rush as well. We just aren't getting to the QB, interested to see what if any difference there'll be post-Wade in the next 8 games.

Columbo is cut because he is playing worse than an average 30-40 RT selected in the draft. Guys like Loadholt or Marcus McNeil can step in from day one on the right side and give us the production that Columbo has given in 2010. Columbo has blown assignments and shown regression from a physical standpoint. Now if anything he should be more mental advanced with every year...but his physical disabilities are regressing way faster than his mental ones are growing. When that is the case it's time to move on...he's to the point where he's not even serviceable anymore. Anytime a team needs pressure they put their best rusher on him and tell them to get the edge...if he seals that he is almost always open to the inside as a secondary move. Now that sounds pretty generic...but on the field this year he just isn't getting it done. He has no more upside his knees are shot...he is getting more health concerns...just time to cut the losses and move on.

I actually like Sensabaugh which is surpising to say after the things he's done to cost us games. He doesn't get as much publicity as Jenkins...but Sensy is just as guilty as quitting on plays. He just does it better...he'll instead ingage a blocker and just allow himself to be blocked out of the picture. His 0 ball skills are what kills me...everytime you see him on the screen he has great coverage yet he doesn't make a play on the ball. I see that Minnesota TD in the super bowl last year on repeat....that is him in one play. His deficiencies with the run game this year also don't do a lot to say he has "earned" his spot on this team in 2011. He can honestly go one way or the other...with this weak S class maybe it's better to keep him...but he is a FA and he sure didn't do enough on the field to justify a new contract imo.

I think adding pressure to this scheme we need to get that impact 5-tech. Bowen/Brent/Ratliff are 3 guys that will be ok...but we need another impact player like Ratliff...good news is this looks do able in the draft.

thule 11-12-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Man (Post 2375514)
The line needs to be redone, but I'd keep three of them just to make the transition easier for younger guys. Davis makes too much and should be gone, and Columbo isn't much anymore. Both guys have run their course here and need to be cut. Keeping Free, Kosier, and Gurode gives at least some cohesion while inserting new starters on the right.

The only reason why I'd cut Barber is for money purposes, and I'd cut him since you have two good backs behind in him Felix and Choice. No matter who is the coach next season, the running game still will be important. You have two good backs already, so no need in trading either or them for anything unless some miracle falls in your lap.

Roy is the big question mark. Prior to Romo getting hurt he was looking like he'll have a Pro Bowl year with about 12 TDs. That's good and all, but Dez is slowly but surely growing into a great WR and Miles despite his drops is still having a pretty damn good year. Roy's contract makes it easier to cut him, but if they found a way to restructure it might work since he and Romo finally got some chemistry. To get more players though I'd cut him and free up some room.

On defense it really depends on what the scheme will be next year. If the new coach brings in a 4-3 then I'd focus more on getting linebackers. The switch would probably make the front 4 look like Ware, Ratliff, Igor/Bowen, Spencer. I'd be pretty content with that, but at backer what do you have? Lee and Bradie on the outside with Brooking on the inside? Bradie is stable but not great. I like Lee a lot, but his injury issues worry me. Brooking has heart, and I'd keep him but not as a starter. What linebackers are free agents that could come in and start for Brooking in the middle?

Even if they stick with a 3-4, something needs to be changed in the middle. It's just too wide open, and it has been for years. At D-line you could sign a guy to man the left end spot, or you could move Ratliff out there and get a nose. With the backers there needs to be a rock that makes teams think twice about throwing inside.

As far as the secondary goes, everyone is in agreement that at the very least Ball should never start a game again. Unless AOA looks spectacular in these last 8 games, it's time to go after a playmaker at FS. Everyone's eyes are on Patrick Peterson, and rightfully so. There's always a chance that you won't get him though. What if he doesn't come out, or what if someone ahead of them grabs him? There are a number of variables, so I wouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket with him. Hell what if you like Prince better and go after him instead? It could be a situation like Ware and Merriman where you go back in forth over who you like better up until it's time to pick. Either way it goes, that position needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Even getting a vet in there for insurance while Peterson grows would be better than doing nothing like last year. Sensy isn't so bad. He reminds me a little bit of Kosier in the sense that fans dislike him a bit as a guy who brings nothing, but he's actually decent. He's no world beater at all, but he rarely causes problems and will occasionally make a play. He pairs well with Newman, and if you notice that side hasn't really been giving up too many points this year. Granted you have Ball, Scandrick, and an inconsistent Jenkins running around, but they still are pretty stable.

At corner you can go many different places. If Newman and Jenkins are still the starters it's not too bad considering that they're both good players. The key is getting a third corner that could come in and not be a liability. If it's a guy like Prince I'd be thrilled. The same thing if they decide to get Peterson and keep him at corner. A free agent would work here as well.

You are really going to give another contract to Koiser....has he ever played a full season for us even? Injury concerns and age don't bode well for another contract...I'm not saying it'd be right or wrong..but I think you have to give that more thought then you did.

AOA is on IR so we won't get to see him this year. Don't think you can expect him to start next year either...so definitely need to find a starter at safety.

thule 11-12-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2375563)
damn thats one hell of an aggressive FA plan. It would be great but personally I find it quite unrealistic from the outside looking in.

2 OL and 1 DL seem unrealistic?

I threw out some names that I thought we could look at targeting...namely the top players at the position of need. I didn't mean to infer that those named would all be dallas cowboys next year. Did you actually read or was this a browse...or do you think 3 starters is highly unlikely?

thule 11-12-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend (Post 2375566)
Thule you honestly think were gonna get Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins in one off-season? I think that's wishful thinking at best, the chances of that happening are slim to none, hell those players may not even be FA's let alone end up on our team.

Also, we have to put FS on the board with our 2nd round pick. Deunta Williams and Rahim Moore will be available there, probably first crack at a safety with that pick, so we need to weight their value with a lineman there.

Honestly I think we'll get 1 interior OL and probably start Holland next year. But ideally I think 2 OL in FA allow us a lot more flexibility. Now 2 top end interior OL isn't very likely I'll agree...but listing every interior OL seemed a bit like overkill. I also have no idea who will be coaching or what ties we'll have to other players that are available. I also have no idea who will actually be available and who won't...we should see quite a few cuts of bad contracts after this year so the FA crop should look a little different when it comes that time. I was just throwing up some names and trying to make it clear we need to sign one of the big names in FA. I probably didn't make that clear...but target a big time OG and target a middle of the line starter for the OL and a body for DL and that'd be perfect.

In this scenario I picked Patrick Peterson with the full intent of playing him at safety. If this is how the draft fell I still wouldn't be opposed to going with Deunta Williams in the draft...but that said I think we'd need to address OL or 5-tech more. I also don't know if character concerns will get him to drop out of the first round...that said I do like him and would openly draft him in the 2nd if we went a different direction in the first round. I'm not solid on Rahim Moore at all...he is as soft as they come and the picks have disappeared this year. I like Jarrett more to tell you the truth because he is a more well rounder player who can't be taken advantage of in certain situations.

D-Unit 11-12-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thule (Post 2377717)
2 OL and 1 DL seem unrealistic?

I threw out some names that I thought we could look at targeting...namely the top players at the position of need. I didn't mean to infer that those named would all be dallas cowboys next year. Did you actually read or was this a browse...or do you think 3 starters is highly unlikely?

I don't think adding 3 FAs is unrealistic. Especially with the changes that are undoubtedly looming after the season. In fact, I'd say that's a conservative approach.