Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   ESPN 30:for:30 Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43755)

J-Mike88 11-10-2010 08:42 PM

ESPN 30:for:30 Thread

This program, the 30 for 30 series by ESPN, is the best television sports documentary series of all-time.

It deserves it's own thread here, as it's all about sports, but always more than sports.

Three times that I can recall this season, I have been moved to tears watching it.

Who caught the last night episode on Marcus Dupree?
Is there anyone here who was around when he was making his legend?

Anyone watch the one about the Bosnia/Croatia/Serbia stuff?

The Two Escobar's was the most riveting one for me. I wish I had saved that on my DVR.

Anyone know how or if there's a way I can take it from my DVR and somehow upload it to youtube or somewhere to share with everyone?

CashmoneyDrew 11-10-2010 08:48 PM

The Two Escobars and The Best that Never Was are the only two I've caught in entirety, but they've both been excellent.

niel89 11-10-2010 08:53 PM

They are all so amazing. Even when its a subject I wasn't interested in, I still thought it was really good.

dabears10 11-10-2010 08:56 PM

I remember when I made this thread when the 30 for 30 started an only I posted in it, sigh.

Volume 1 of the 30 for 30 comes out on DVD on December 17th. It has the first 15 shown.

http://www.amazon.com/ESPN-Films-Gif...9444078&sr=8-1

HeavyLeggedWaistBender 11-10-2010 09:02 PM

Run Ricky Run was great, most are pretty good. I haven't seen a ton of them.

yourfavestoner 11-10-2010 09:34 PM

Every single one I've watched has been great. Run Ricky Run was by far my favorite (for obvious reasons). One of my favorite players of all time (and by far one of the most misunderstood) actually had his side of the story aired out.

Without Bias, The U, Straight Outta LA, June 17th, 1994, Jordan Rides the Bus, One Night in Vegas, Once Brothers (my second favorite)....so many good episodes.

Don Vito 11-10-2010 09:51 PM

Most of them are great but my favorites that I've seen are The U and Run Ricky Run. The Len Bias one was pretty good too. I still need to see the Marcus Dupree and Escobar brother ones.

Draft King 11-10-2010 09:54 PM

The U was ******* awesome.

SickwithIt1010 11-11-2010 12:29 AM

The U was by far my favorite one out of them all. It was so sick haha.

Mr. Goosemahn 11-11-2010 02:25 AM

These are probably the best shows ever done regarding sports. So far, I've watched The Two Escobars, Run Ricky Run, Without Bias, and I think I'm missing another one.

The one I can relate to the most is The Two Escobars, basically because that's what's going on back where I'm from. Very powerful drug lords who have control over anything they wish to control. There has never been any major intervention or influence in sports (publicly, at least), but everything associated with Escobar, such as buying off everyone he wanted to, is the same. I guess the shooting in Mexico City of Salvador Cabanas is definitely a sports intervention, but I'm not from there. Fortunately, Cabanas didn't die. Don't really know how he survived a close range shot, even if it wasn't a particularly strong gun, but I'm glad he did. He was a great player.

Never really knew why he was shot, doubt we ever will, but there are conflicting reports about it. He suffered short term memory loss and hasn't played at all since the incident happened back in January. It's still unknown if he will ever return to play.

Bosanac01 11-11-2010 02:29 AM

The Fact that you mentioned Bosnia in your first post makes this Thread Epic.

J-Mike88 11-11-2010 06:17 AM

I never saw the Lenny Bias one!
Was that this season?
I know there are 4 or 5 still on my DVR that I have yet to get to sadly (but I will), but I don't recall seeing that title in my list.

The U one was awesome. Tons of racial tensions back there in the city.... wait, now it's like that everywhere in America isn't it? Sad.
Sadder is that their football team hasn't really been great in a long time. I miss the days when they were great and had all those **** NFL RB's right there.

Shane P. Hallam 11-11-2010 06:43 AM

Dupree is being rebroadcasted tonight. My TiVo didn't record it on Tuesday, so I have it on lockdown tonight!

AntoinCD 11-11-2010 06:44 AM

Ive only seen a few of them. I liked the one about the Knicks and the Pacers but the OJ Simpson one where they showed live footage from the day with the World Cup Opening Ceremony, NBA Finals that year was very good

ElectricEye 11-11-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2376453)
Dupree is being rebroadcasted tonight. My TiVo didn't record it on Tuesday, so I have it on lockdown tonight!

I've got it set for tonight too. Missed it in all the video game related hub bub.

J-Mike88 11-11-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 2376454)
Ive only seen a few of them. I liked the one about the Knicks and the Pacers but the OJ Simpson one where they showed live footage from the day with the World Cup Opening Ceremony, NBA Finals that year was very good

Yeah I watched those 2.
Reggie Miller was an ASSASSIN on the Knicks, and Spike Lee! Great theater that was.

And watching those OJ things.... hard to believe OJ didn't serve a day for those crimes, but yet he's now in jail for much lesser things.
Strange justice.

ElectricEye 11-11-2010 09:47 AM

Once Brothers was really good. I didn't get the chance to see Drazen Petrovic
play, but it was a real well done story.

T-RICH49 11-11-2010 10:55 AM

Once Brothers was my fav w/o a doubt

SeanTaylorRIP 11-11-2010 02:41 PM

Yup the Drazen and Vlade episode is one of the better things I've seen on T.V. in a long time. I'm not even into the extreme sports stuff but I watched the entire episode when they had on some BMX rider can't remember the name but he was one of the pioneers, but it was extremely entertaining. The raw footage and interviews they acquired were excellent.

RaiderNation 11-11-2010 02:54 PM

Havent seen every single one, but all the ones I have watched have been worth my time.

TimD 11-11-2010 05:41 PM

Da U, Run Ricky Run, The Two Escobars, Terry Fox: Into the Wind, and Tim Richmond: To the Limit are so so so good. Ive seen a couple other ones, but these are my top 5.... no order

Bosanac01 11-11-2010 06:42 PM

They need to so more about my people. :D

You guys have no idea.

J-Mike88 11-11-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosanac01 (Post 2377042)
They need to so more about my people. :D

You guys have no idea.

You're right, Americans know or care very little about people in other countries, typically.
Not all, but too many.

Goran Ivanisievic, Wimbledon Champion.... Croatia I think.

I have to watch the 2 Brothers one tomorrow. Still on my DVR.

Complex 11-12-2010 12:02 AM

DA U was the best one followed by the two escobars & once brothers(drazen & Vlade).

I wanted to see the Tyson/tupac 30 for 30 but missed it.

I didn't like straight out of L.A., I thought Ice Cube did a poor job

J-Mike88 11-12-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex (Post 2377667)
DA U was the best one followed by the two escobars & once brothers(drazen & Vlade).

I wanted to see the Tyson/tupac 30 for 30 but missed it.

I didn't like straight out of L.A., I thought Ice Cube did a poor job

The 2 Esobar's was so great because Pablo controlled the whole country, and his kingpin work made him the most powerful man in the world for many years, and it all was so entwined with the Columbian soccer team, and then with the World Cup, which just happened to be in the USA that year.

AND they just happened to draw playing in our pool, and lose to us. Poor Andres.

That was the best individual program I have ever seen really. Chilling.

Now Mexico is running wild, lawless with all the drugs and killing people every day all day long.