Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Andre Smith possibly done for season (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43762)

BeerBaron 11-11-2010 02:33 PM

Andre Smith possibly done for season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...other-setback/

He's had a rough go of things so far in his career. Only 5 starts in 2 years, a number of injuries, a benching, and now yet another injury. Broken bone in his foot.

It doesn't seem as though it's the mental aspects of the game that are holding him back as was the fear when he came out, but the injuries are piling up rapidly.

And foot injuries are especially bad for big men....is it time to start up the "b" word talk with Andre? Or has it already started?

trkaline 11-11-2010 02:35 PM

The Greg Oden of football...

SeanTaylorRIP 11-11-2010 02:36 PM

I thought last years OT class was overrated as a whole, funny how the guy criticized the most and dropped the furthest in Oher has turned out to be the best OT from that draft class. Still though it's too early to write of Smith although out of the considered 3 elite OT's, I always said Monroe should have been the first taken.

Pat Sims 90 11-11-2010 02:46 PM

Smith did not play that bad this season for the limited action he got but i was aganist the pick when they made it and i have been right about him so far.

A Perfect Score 11-11-2010 02:53 PM

I called Shawn Andrews then, and I'll call Shawn Andrews now. I liked Smith alot at Alabama but I didn't have him as a LT in the NFL, and I had him as the #4 OT in this class. I thought Cincinnati made a huge mistake taking him over Monroe and Oher, and while I understand its still early in his career, its looking more and more like I (and many others, Im not the only one who said this stuff) were right.

RaiderNation 11-11-2010 02:58 PM

I really thought Andre Smith was going to be one of the best LT in the league. Been a huge dissappoinment. Hopefully they can get him figured out because he can be a great player

niel89 11-11-2010 03:36 PM

AFC North is just losing tackles this year. 4 good players already gone.

BmoreBlackByrdz 11-11-2010 03:36 PM

I still can't get over the fact that Detroit passed on the opportunity to grab a franchise QB and franchise LT in the same round of the same draft.

Stafford and Oher would have been great for em.

can't blame em too much cause Pettigrew has turned out okay but Stafford is getting killed behind there current line.

PoopSandwich 11-11-2010 03:59 PM

How about he does something for his own sake and gets in shape to prevent this crap from happening...

Everyone else looks normal then Andre Smith comes into sight and looks like the incredible blob.

Brodeur 11-11-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz (Post 2376902)
I still can't get over the fact that Detroit passed on the opportunity to grab a franchise QB and franchise LT in the same round of the same draft.

can't blame em too much cause Pettigrew has turned out okay but Stafford is getting killed behind there current line.

Umm, no he isn't. The Lions line is actually pretty good at pass blocking, but whatever.

A Perfect Score 11-11-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 2376960)
Umm, no he isn't. The Lions line is actually pretty good at pass blocking, but whatever.

I understand they have been good this year, but are you honestly gunna try and convince us that taking Oher wasn't the right move there? Everyone and their mother knew that getting Stafford and Oher in the same draft sets that franchise up for 10 years to be absolutely stellar on offense.

Shahin 11-11-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2376850)
I called Shawn Andrews then, and I'll call Shawn Andrews now. I liked Smith alot at Alabama but I didn't have him as a LT in the NFL, and I had him as the #4 OT in this class. I thought Cincinnati made a huge mistake taking him over Monroe and Oher, and while I understand its still early in his career, its looking more and more like I (and many others, Im not the only one who said this stuff) were right.

pretty sure he was drafted to play RT.

BeerBaron 11-13-2010 03:00 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...smiths-season/

Officially done. On IR now.

P-L 11-13-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz (Post 2376902)

Jeff Backus was almost as good as Michael Oher last year and has been just as good, if not better than Oher this year. The left side of our line has been awesome in pass protection this year and I couldn't ask for better play. The right side of the line is a complete abortion, but at the time of that draft they didn't want to use a 1st round pick to replace Gosder Cherilus (who was drafted in the 1st round the previous year). Backus' play this past year and a half combined with Brandon Pettigrew's stellar blocking and constantly improving receiving ability has given the Lions more value than Michael Oher alone would've given us.

Brodeur 11-13-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-L (Post 2378923)
Jeff Backus was almost as good as Michael Oher last year and has been just as good, if not better than Oher this year. The left side of our line has been awesome in pass protection this year and I couldn't ask for better play. The right side of the line is a complete abortion, but at the time of that draft they didn't want to use a 1st round pick to replace Gosder Cherilus (who was drafted in the 1st round the previous year). Backus' play this past year and a half combined with Brandon Pettigrew's stellar blocking and constantly improving receiving ability has given the Lions more value than Michael Oher alone would've given us.

Gos has been decentish this year.

LonghornsLegend 11-13-2010 09:02 PM

I think Eugene Monroe had played great on the Left side correct? Andre is looking like he's headed to a bust, he's already a RT vs a LT which I highly doubt they intended for him to be the moment they drafted him. That said it should still be an easier transition for him playing on that side, and he hasn't really looked impressive since being drafted.