Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the game today? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43833)

D-Unit 11-15-2010 08:00 PM

Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the game today?

Who are the best 3-4 DE's in the game today?

niel89 11-15-2010 08:30 PM

Would you include Haloti Ngata? He is playing lights out.

CC.SD 11-15-2010 08:40 PM

Not Luis Castillo.

he hasn't been horrible but if he's in a 'best' list, that list is drawing from a very low sample size. Like latin players named Luis.

lowlife 11-15-2010 08:40 PM

A couple end-nose combo guys like Ngata and Haynesworth are playing really well. What I've seen of Kyle Williams is pretty impressive in Buffalo's terrible hybrid scheme.

ChiFan24 11-15-2010 08:41 PM

One's that currently play in a 3-4, entirely based on what I've seen, so I could be wrong:

Cullen Jenkins
Randy Starks
Isaac Sopoaga
Aaron Smith
Haloti Ngata
Michael Wright
Darnell Dockett
Glenn Dorsey

Others that I'm probably forgetting....

edit: took Castillo off the list since admittedly I haven't paid attention to the guy in 2 years...

Hurricanes25 11-15-2010 08:43 PM

Haolti Hgata
Aaron Smith
Shaun Ellis
Darnell Dockett
Calais Campbell
Cullen Jenkins

Those were the first names that popped into my head.

BaLLiN 11-15-2010 08:44 PM

does wilfork get consideration? he's played some end this year too

ElectricEye 11-15-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 2383296)
does wilfork get consideration? he's played some end this year too

I wouldn't think so. Even when he plays DE, it's essentially just making him a NT that lines up at DE. Plays the same gaps and such. We just move him to try to anticipate the point of attack.

J-Mike88 11-15-2010 09:03 PM

I like the guys on my Packers squad.
But they gotta stay healthy.

umphrey 11-15-2010 09:06 PM

Pretty hard to say, since they are more general DL than DEs.

1 Haloti Ngata
2 Aaron Smith
3 Darnell Dockett
4 Cullen Jenkins

D-Unit 11-15-2010 09:13 PM

Take Haloti out of the equation.

GB12 11-15-2010 10:00 PM

When healthy Cullen Jenkins is a beast at 3-4 end. And he's a free agent next year, which I'm sure you'd be interested to know. We better re-sign him though.

Splat 11-15-2010 10:01 PM

Another then the Denver game Glenn Dorsey has been in beast mode.

nepg 11-15-2010 10:03 PM

Seymour
A. Smith

everyone else

(though I'm surprised no one as mentioned Justin Smith)

SenorGato 11-15-2010 11:41 PM

Ngata
Dockett
Smith

Smith
Ellis

Starks
Jenkins
Langford

If Seymour is still a 3-4 DE then he's #1. Guys' a legend.

K Train 11-15-2010 11:49 PM

ive always said that aaron smith and richard seymour are truly masters of the position...aaron smith NEVER makes a mistake, hes always perfect. he was a guy that was underrated for soooo long that it made him rated just fine cause everyone was calling him the most underrated DL player in the league for a long time.....unfortunately he cant stay healthy at this point in his career after being durable for a long time, i think hes gonna be hanging them up real soon.

i dont really count ngata as a 34DE since he was such a monster NT/5 tech prospect and is crushing the world no matter where he lines up.

anyone tell me how tyson jackson is playing?

gpngc 11-15-2010 11:52 PM

The Seahawks give some 3-4 looks and when they do Red Bryant is a beast.

Unfortunately, he's now on IR.

SenorGato 11-16-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC.SD (Post 2383289)
Not Luis Castillo.

he hasn't been horrible but if he's in a 'best' list, that list is drawing from a very low sample size. Like latin players named Luis.

Cut him please. The Jets resurrect Chargers players at a discount price!

Are there any other guys? Ratliff could probably dominate at 3-4 DE, but he plays NT...Ellis is underrated but he's not the best anyway...Seems like such a thin position to find or put great talent at...4-3 guys like Haynesworth, Williams, Henderson, and Stroud would dominate the position if they wanted to or were asked to...iunno why Haynesworth doesn't besides him being a douche...the position is made for guys like him.

vidae 11-16-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2383589)
anyone tell me how tyson jackson is playing?

He hasn't lately. Shaun Smith and Wallace Gilberry are outplaying him, and it isn't close.

Dorsey has been playing really well lately though, except the Denver game, where no one on our defense decided to play.

T-RICH49 11-16-2010 12:22 AM

Dorsey has been unbelievably good as a 3-4 DE.was'nt sure he could do it but he's proving me wrong

descendency 11-16-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-RICH49 (Post 2383616)
Dorsey has been unbelievably good as a 3-4 DE.was'nt sure he could do it but he's proving me wrong

He'd still be a better 1 gap 3 tech.

But yea, Richard Seymour and Aaron Smith are the best 5techs of this generation (and really ever).

Today is harder to say. So many 34 teams now that it's difficult to keep up with them unlike when it was just Pittsburgh, NE, and maybe 2 or 3 others.

Arsenal 11-16-2010 12:44 AM

Justin Smith in San Francisco is really good. I don't think he is the best like Ngata or Seymour but he certainly deserves a mention. Awesome guy to watch too, just a relentless motor. He never quits even though he's been in losing situations his whole career.

wogitalia 11-16-2010 12:57 AM

I'd still love to see Kevin Williams as a DE in a 3-4. I actually think a couple of years ago the Vikes should have switched. Allen would still be a beast and KWill would be a monster and Pat could certainly hold the fort while we find another NT. It wouldn't change that our secondary and linebackers aren't good though but I actually think that Henderson in particular would fit better and so would Leber probably. Don't think that now the change is really worthwhile but a few years ago it could have worked wonders!

Pity Aaron Smith can't stay healthy, he is a beast and so important to that team and seems like a great guy as well.

BeerBaron 11-16-2010 01:09 AM

I tried to keep pointing out last year just how good and important to the Steelers defense Aaron Smith is/was. But Polamalu was out at the same time and just about everybody like to write his absence off as the reason for their decline.

Now the Steelers are without Smith but have Polamalu....and abortions like the Pats game happen. Polamalu is like the icing on the cake...he lines up all over and takes advantage of the pressure the front 7 usually creates. But Smith is the key cog that makes it all run. Without him holding the point and taking on multiple blockers, the linebackers don't run quite as free, the pass rush doesn't get there as quickly, and the secondary is exposed for being as bad as it really is. Force Polamalu into deep zones and suddenly his impactfulness goes to hell.....

Smith is damn, damn fine player and 2nd only to in-his-prime Seymour as a 3-4 end imo.

But like other people have been saying, so many defenses are running muddled 3-4s that it's hard to tell who is what.

MetSox17 11-16-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2383589)
he was a guy that was underrated for soooo long that it made him rated just fine cause everyone was calling him the most underrated DL player in the league for a long time.