Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Devin Hester new/old role (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43899)

shylo3716 11-18-2010 06:33 PM

Devin Hester new/old role

Since DHEST has been moved back to return duties and the #2 WR spot, is it a better move on his behalf and the Bears that he is not the #1 WR? How much do you think he will progress with the transition?

KCJ58 11-18-2010 06:38 PM

is he back to KR/PR duties for the rest of the season?

Gay Ork Wang 11-18-2010 06:41 PM

he always had PR duties. he gets 50% of the snaps at KR id say, maybe 1/3

bearfan 11-18-2010 06:43 PM

I don't think he'll ever progress as the #1 reciever like the team imagined he could be. I like him in the rotation, but having a very limited role. Since his WR Duties have diminished, his return game has gotten better which is more effective for the team. So if he progresses, I hope that he progresses as a KR/PR because that is where his impact is made.

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 06:46 PM

He's actually had some of his best games doing both recently. Had 4 catches and a TD in the last game, and was named NFC Special Teams player of the week.

One of the biggest things that hurt our return game from Hester's early career until this season was the loss of Brendan Ayanbadejo. Dude was a special teams animal and the overall blocking really helped Hester out.

These past few years, he's just been running into the backs of his blockers more. I don't know who we've found to be a main contributor on returns blocking-wise, but we're doing a lot better this year.

KCJ58 11-18-2010 06:48 PM

Daniel Manning should be the KR

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJ58 (Post 2387022)
Daniel Manning should be the KR

He and Hester have been sharing that duty recently as GOW said. Hester maybe gets it every other or every third time or so.

A Perfect Score 11-18-2010 07:18 PM

I've always maintained that moving him to WR was not smart in the first place. Devin Hester as a returner is one of the most valuable assets a team could have. Consistently good field position is a truly rare thing in the NFL, and when you have a guy in Hester who can provide that, I say don't try and fix what isn't broken. Sure, Id bring him in for some stuff and work him out of the slot, maybe have him in the backfield for some plays, but as a #1 WR? Nah. Use him as the valuable weapon that he is.

bigbluedefense 11-18-2010 07:36 PM

Hester is never going to be a stud WR. Just keep him as KR/PR, and have him as your slot in 3 WR sets.

Keep his snaps at WR low, he was such a weapon as a full time KR/PR, they need to get that back. He can still be a WR, just limit his snaps, bc he's never going to be a legit #1.

BlindSite 11-18-2010 07:56 PM

I think Hester should be used a little more like teams like NO use bush, Carolina use Smith in addition to his return role. Give him PR duties, 50% of KR duties and design some plays to get him the ball in space, screens etc. He's great with blockers around him and a chance to make guys miss.

He'll never be a 90catch 1500 yard 12 td guy, but I think total production on small things he could get close to 1000 yards and 7-8 tds a year, which is fine outside of the 2-3 return TDs he'll likely earn each year.

CC.SD 11-18-2010 08:04 PM

Why does Lovie Smith still take 100% of the snaps at coach is what I want to know.

Monomach 11-18-2010 08:06 PM

I wish they'd just put an end to the receiver experiment. It was something that had to be tried, but it's evident that he's the exact same thing he was the entire time he was at Miami: a returner who can't play a real position.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when he's cut after the 2012 season. Will someone else overpay him like we did or will we sign him to a more team-friendly deal? We're sure as hell not paying him the 12 mildo he'll be due in 2013.

A Perfect Score 11-18-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 2387147)
I wish they'd just put an end to the receiver experiment. It was something that had to be tried, but it's evident that he's the exact same thing he was the entire time he was at Miami: a returner who can't play a real position.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when he's cut after the 2012 season. Will someone else overpay him like we did or will we sign him to a more team-friendly deal? We're sure as hell not paying him the 12 mildo he'll be due in 2013.

Id give him a hell of a lot of money to come play for my team, even if he only does touch the ball a few times per game. Good field position is invaluable for an offense, and its something Hester provides consistently.

Monomach 11-18-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2387149)
Id give him a hell of a lot of money to come play for my team, even if he only does touch the ball a few times per game. Good field position is invaluable for an offense, and its something Hester provides consistently.

Sure.

...but you wouldn't pay him 12 million for it. Especially if you're the Bears and have another guy who gives you excellent position splitting KR duties with him, anyway.

shylo3716 11-18-2010 08:36 PM

I'm loving the feedback

BaLLiN 11-18-2010 08:42 PM

I know this is probably stupid, considering his size and limited experience, why not play him as a 3rd down back? he's the quickest player on the field, most likely going to win every matchup versus a linebacker. He probably can't block effectively, but its worth a try i feel

Gay Ork Wang 11-18-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 2387216)
I know this is probably stupid, considering his size and limited experience, why not play him as a 3rd down back? he's the quickest player on the field, most likely going to win every matchup versus a linebacker. He probably can't block effectively, but its worth a try i feel

cant block anyone

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaLLiN (Post 2387216)

Yeah, he can't block, and we just signed Chester Taylor who is one of the best 3rd down backs in the league...

...and I've never liked the term 3rd down back...It should be something like "Passing Situations Back." Just an observation...

Brent 11-18-2010 09:48 PM

the year they went to the super bowl is the role he never should have left.

NotRickJames 11-19-2010 12:20 AM

I think he's a decent two. I think he's reached his peak at receiver - I certainly don't think he'll ever be a number one target.

Speaking of which, what the hell happened to Devin Aromashodu? I fell in love with this guy last season and thought be would break out as the Bears top receiver this year - he's barely done anything.

BeerBaron 11-19-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotRickJames (Post 2387567)
I think he's a decent two. I think he's reached his peak at receiver - I certainly don't think he'll ever be a number one target.

Speaking of which, what the hell happened to Devin Aromashodu? I fell in love with this guy last season and thought be would break out as the Bears top receiver this year - he's barely done anything.

Aro did not translate to Martz' scheme. Hester and Knox actually really took to it well and learned it quickly, forcing Aro into the slot, which he didn't like. He basically gets next to no playing time anymore, especially with Olsen lining up at WR so much.

Saints-Tigers 11-19-2010 12:45 AM

Man, tough crowd. 50 catches, 700+ yards and 6 touchdowns in addition to being the best returner of all time.

He's not a stud receiver, but he's definitely not someone you want to cut out of the passing game, with all that speed and big play ability.

Monomach 11-19-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers (Post 2387584)
Man, tough crowd. 50 catches, 700+ yards and 6 touchdowns in addition to being the best returner of all time.

He's not a stud receiver, but he's definitely not someone you want to cut out of the passing game, with all that speed and big play ability.

Believe me...when you watch him fall down on his route, leading to an interception several times in a season, you very much want to cut him out of the passing game. He should only be out there for trick plays and as a decoy running go routes.

CameronCropper 11-19-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 2387724)
Believe me...when you watch him fall down on his route, leading to an interception several times in a season, you very much want to cut him out of the passing game. He should only be out there for trick plays and as a decoy running go routes.

I'm not sure what's more annoying: Hester's inevitable slip or two a game on routes or Knox stopping on routes, either way if there was a state for "assisted INTs" I'm sure the two of them would be real close to the top.

Da-Phins 11-19-2010 05:22 PM

I think the Bears should install some sort of wildcat formation for Hester to see if he can be successful in it. Dont see what it could hurt.

I know Bears fans can help me out here. What's making Hester being Hester of old again on returns? He was no where last two years then all of a sudden this year he's back to his old dangerous self. Is it better blocking? More focus on the return game?