Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Breaking news: Hawaii invited to MWC (football only) (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43906)

D-Unit 11-18-2010 09:11 PM

Breaking news: Hawaii invited to MWC (football only)
 
An answer to my prayers!!!! The WAC was falling apart, but thanks to this there is a future!!! WOoo hoooo!!!!

http://www.kitv.com/news/25845791/detail.html

HONOLULU -- The University of Hawaii will join the Mountain West Conference for football, sources confirmed to KITV4.
The move comes on the heels of top Western Athletic Conference teams leaving the conference. Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State bolted for the MWC.
Hawaii will be part of the MWC just for football. It will be part of the Big West Conference for the other sports, sources told KITV4 Sports.

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!

TitanHope 11-18-2010 09:20 PM

Congrats to the Hawai'i Fightin' D-Units!!!

49erNation85 11-18-2010 09:21 PM

no Offense but is UH even that good to switch out ? I mean with the other teams leaving they run the WAC and have an enjoyment season .

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 11-18-2010 09:22 PM

People still won't take the MWC seriously

D-Unit 11-18-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 (Post 2387414)
no Offense but is UH even that good to switch out ? I mean with the other teams leaving they run the WAC and have an enjoyment season .

There was no enjoyment left for Hawaii in the WAC. Beating up on the leftovers would've been no fun.

Are they good enough to compete with the MWC? That's what I'm hoping they show the doubters.

diabsoule 11-18-2010 09:32 PM

Since 1998, Hawaii 89-67 which is a .570 winning %. I'm very surprised by this move and think it's a tremendous move by both parties.

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 09:49 PM

I really like this. The already strong MTW (even with losing the Utah schools) brings in what are, in my mind at least, the top 4 schools from the WAC including Boise who has been one of the best in the country the last few years?

Give them an automatic birth already. Take the Big East's. Please.

keylime_5 11-18-2010 09:49 PM

well there are mountains in Hawaii at least, and it is very far west.

diabsoule 11-18-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2387467)
I really like this. The already strong MTW (even with losing the Utah schools) brings in what are, in my mind at least, the top 4 schools from the WAC including Boise who has been one of the best in the country the last few years?

Give them an automatic birth already. Take the Big East's. Please.

Even by adding Hawaii, the Big East has a higher winning percentage since the creation of the BCS.

Big East
West Virginia 98-50, .662
Louisville 97-53, .647
South Florida 75-44, .630
Connecticut 62-58, .567
Cincinnati 83-65, .560
Pittsburgh 81-65, .555
Rutgers 64-79, .447
Syracuse 61-82, .426
Total: 621-496 (.556)

New Mountain West
Boise State (102-15, .872)
TCU (108-38, .740)
Air Force (86-60, .589)
Fresno State (94-60, .584)
Hawaii (89-67, .570)
Colorado State (77-70., .524)
Nevada (59-64, .480, since 2000)*
New Mexico (66-80, .452)
Wyoming (57-83, .407)
San Diego State (50-91, .355)
UNLV (44-96, .314)
Total: 832-724 (.535)

I think the bigger question is this: Hawaii makes the 11th team now in the MWC. Who do they invite as the 12th? Houston? SMU? Tulsa? Southern Miss?

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 10:18 PM

Winning percentage? That's you best argument Diab? The MTW has a lot of ****** teams dragging them down at the very bottom...but they are so much more top heavy than the Big East...have been since Rich Rod left WVU. They were really the only elite team within that division.

The Big East is just so mediocre and it's going to be a joke and a travesty when an unranked (or laughably lowly ranked) Big East team gets into a BCS bowl over a very unfortunate TCU or Boise State. They'd rob one of those two's conferences of millions by undeservedly getting in. Such BS.

senormysterioso 11-18-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2387468)
well there are mountains in Hawaii at least, and it is very far west.

But it's even further east...think about it.

diabsoule 11-18-2010 10:23 PM

Those numbers are from 1998, the year the BCS was implemented.

I agree, though, that the MWC is A LOT top heavier than the Big East and would be even moreso if BYU (98-53. .649) would have stayed. If they could kick out Wyoming, UNLV, New Mexico, and San Diego and bring in the likes of Southern Miss, Houston, Tulsa, and say SMU then that would be a BCS conference without a doubt.

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2387520)
Those numbers are from 1998, the year the BCS was implemented.

I agree, though, that the MWC is A LOT top heavier than the Big East and would be even moreso if BYU (98-53. .649) would have stayed. If they could kick out Wyoming, UNLV, New Mexico, and San Diego and bring in the likes of Southern Miss, Houston, Tulsa, and say SMU then that would be a BCS conference without a doubt.

Well, most BCS conferences still have some ****** teams floating around the bottom. Pac-10 has had Washington State recently, SEC has Vandy and the Mississippi schools aren't typically that good, Big-10 has Indiana and Minnesota, Big-12 has Baylor (usually) and the Kansas schools typically aren't that good....

The Big-East is just sooo mediocre it's not funny.

diabsoule 11-18-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2387521)
Well, most BCS conferences still have some ****** teams floating around the bottom. Pac-10 has had Washington State recently, SEC has Vandy and the Mississippi schools aren't typically that good, Big-10 has Indiana and Minnesota, Big-12 has Baylor (usually) and the Kansas schools typically aren't that good....

The Big-East is just sooo mediocre it's not funny.

yeah, I plan on comparing the records and winning percentages of each conference since 1998 to see who is strongest. I have already done the SEC, Big East, and Mountain West so I just have the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-10 left to do.

BeerBaron 11-18-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2387529)
yeah, I plan on comparing the records and winning percentages of each conference since 1998 to see who is strongest. I have already done the SEC, Big East, and Mountain West so I just have the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-10 left to do.

While I'm sure that would show you some things, I don't think it would be the full story. I mean, how often since the start of the BCS have the bigger schools in the BCS conferences scheduled the bottom-feeders of the non-BCS conferences to beat up? It would definitely skew it a bit.

wogitalia 11-19-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

While I'm sure that would show you some things, I don't think it would be the full story. I mean, how often since the start of the BCS have the bigger schools in the BCS conferences scheduled the bottom-feeders of the non-BCS conferences to beat up? It would definitely skew it a bit.
No doubt about that but it isn't like those teams don't schedule plenty of cupcakes from other places that make their overall wins also misleading.

I think there could be some merit to a comparison between the conferences where both teams were ranked. Realistically the BCS bids should be based on the conferences with the "best" teams rather than on depth. I would think the majority would want to see TCU or Boise play over a mediocre team for instance and seeing how each conference has done with it's top teams against other top teams would be interesting, imo at least.

D-Unit 11-19-2010 01:04 AM

I'm just so overjoyed over this whole thing. I can't explain it!

Better conference, better competition, better exposure, better recuits! The challenge will be tougher, but the glory of winning will mean MORE! Love it!

As for the 12th team... I sure would love SMU... June Jones vs Hawaii every year! ...but I think Utah State unfortunately will get it. No Utah school in the MWC, and I've got a hint that they'll want one.

descendency 11-19-2010 01:47 AM

I was really sad when Utah left for the Pac10. I really thought the MWC was going to start to fall apart.

fenikz 11-19-2010 03:11 AM

Good
TCU
Boise State

Decent
Nevada
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Air Force

Bad
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming

overall it's still only a average conference, but do you think it's really worth a AQ? Winner of TCU vs Boise will most likely make a BCS bowl anyways

Montana seems like the best fit for a 12th team and the MWC seems like a more intriguing spot than the WAC at this point

D-Unit 11-19-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 2387647)
I was really sad when Utah left for the Pac10. I really thought the MWC was going to start to fall apart.

Maybe BYU will pull a U-ee and come back. That would be sweet! ...dreamin'.

Shane P. Hallam 11-19-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2387661)
Good
TCU
Boise State

Decent
Nevada
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Air Force

Bad
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming

overall it's still only a average conference, but do you think it's really worth a AQ? Winner of TCU vs Boise will most likely make a BCS bowl anyways

Montana seems like the best fit for a 12th team and the MWC seems like a more intriguing spot than the WAC at this point


Montana has already declined any and all invitations to the FBS.

Smooth Criminal 11-19-2010 09:38 AM

Nice addition. Kind of a shame Utah and BYU left. If the MWC had Utah, TCU, Boise, BYU, Nevada, Fresno St. and Hawaii they'd definitely be able to get an autobid.

Losing Utah and BYU makes it very top heavy, and very weak at the bottom. Those 5 or 6 teams at the bottom are going to be too weak of teams for them to get an autobid in my opinion. Remember, getting an automatic bid is part of a formula already set, and the MWC has been close before. People wont be able to say its some bias if they dont get one, its because of how weak the teams at the bottom are. Yes, every conference has them, but its not half of the teams for every conference.

brat316 11-19-2010 09:56 AM

So in 2 years time the auto bids are up for grabs?

Smooth Criminal 11-19-2010 10:10 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5126561

Pretty informative article. The way TCU has played I'd say the MWC could get a spot. It'll hurt losing Utah and who knows what credit they'll get for Boise's success before they were in the MWC.

Utah and BYU leaving could come back to hurt the MWC by keeping them from an autobid.

BeerBaron 11-19-2010 10:52 AM

I think they'll get one. God I hope they do. They pick up two consistently great teams in Boise and TCU, and a handful of teams who can be decent any given year....I really don't see how they are any worse than the Big East or ACC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.