Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Urban Meyer stepping down? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44304)

BigJohn98 12-08-2010 02:08 PM

Urban Meyer stepping down?
 
Just saw this on Twitter. It's the hot rumor right now.

GatorUpdates Urban Meyer to step down as #Gators head coach this evening at 5pm EST per athletic department.

JoeJoeBrown 12-08-2010 02:14 PM

Here is a good feed: Todd Wright

Think he goes to Michigan? :)

49erNation85 12-08-2010 02:15 PM

Some tough choice ? I wonder if it will stick this time. Last year this time he tried too but couldn't leave. It would be nice of a change and a new playbook in stack would be nice too .The spread just isn't working any more with a stellar QB like Tebow .I really doubt he goes any where Joe .

JoeJoeBrown 12-08-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 (Post 2418806)
Some tough choice ? I wonder if it will stick this time. Last year this time he tried too but couldn't leave. It would be nice of a change and a new playbook in stack would be nice too .The spread just isn't working any more with a stellar QB like Tebow .I really doubt he goes any where Joe .

He could join Tebow in Denver!!!!

I do agree that if he quits, it's probably for a long break. And you are right, the spread option only really works with a QB that has a great combo of brains, running ability, and decent passing skills. You also absolutely need a speedy playmaker to hold off the LBs from covering the TE dump and QB/RB running option.

BigJohn98 12-08-2010 02:26 PM

It's official now.

Urban is a coward.

The Unseen 12-08-2010 02:28 PM

cya Urban.

(the advantage of the above comment is that "cya" can both mean "goodbye" and "cya later.")

Bengals78 12-08-2010 02:29 PM

He will be back in a few months...or in Denver...not coaching...just hangin'

Brent 12-08-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn98 (Post 2418836)
Urban is a coward.

how so? (I really have no idea why he is leaving).

Notredameleo 12-08-2010 02:32 PM

Dear Florida,

Please leave Charlie Strong alone, and never ever ask to talk to him.

Sincerely,

A University of Louisville Student

JRTPlaya21 12-08-2010 02:33 PM

Won't miss the guy one bit. Poor gators haha.

MassNole 12-08-2010 02:34 PM

Wow, might as well call Jimbo Fisher the Floridian Coach Killer.

2 bitter rivals + 2 manhood stealing blowouts to FSU = Fisher the Coach Killer.

BigJohn98 12-08-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2418842)
how so? (I really have no idea why he is leaving).

I don't buy into the health issues. I just think he can't stand losing so bad because Tebow isn't there anymore and that he can't bare through a down year or two to rebuild the program.

49erNation85 12-08-2010 02:42 PM

I'm sure the main reason is because he can't stand lossing and has no real QB and his spread system just isn't working any more and it is about time IMO.He was a good Coach when he had the players ,however, when they are no longer that skilled you gotta look and change the offense to what you have more move into a better skilled playbook to fit your players. Its not rocket science. I doubt he makes a move or chance to go to Denver , possible tho . Any word on who is taking over for the Gators ? Yes I am stil a fan after horrible season lol .

MassNole 12-08-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn98 (Post 2418852)
I don't buy into the health issues. I just think he can't stand losing so bad because Tebow isn't there anymore and that he can't bare through a down year or two to rebuild the program.

That and FSU has no righted their ship and has a coach who can beat him out for recruits and on the field. From what I've already heard Dan Mullen is more or less a done deal to replace the Hotdog man in Hogtown. Which is so-so news for FSU but devastating for Miami.

JoeJoeBrown 12-08-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn98 (Post 2418852)
I don't buy into the health issues. I just think he can't stand losing so bad because Tebow isn't there anymore and that he can't bare through a down year or two to rebuild the program.

I just think the stress of the job is overwhelming to him. He's got cash now and a propensity to have a poor reaction to stress.

jrdrylie 12-08-2010 02:47 PM

It's not a big loss. He's an overrated coach. With the right QB (Tebow and Alex Smith) he can have great teams. Take that away and he is lost. He completely lacks the ability to alter his offense to suit his players. With the talent of Brantley and all the speed at the skill positions, a Pro Style offense would have been great in Gainesville.

MassNole 12-08-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2418868)
It's not a big loss. He's an overrated coach. With the right QB (Tebow and Alex Smith) he can have great teams. Take that away and he is lost. He completely lacks the ability to alter his offense to suit his players. With the talent of Brantley and all the speed at the skill positions, a Pro Style offense would have been great in Gainesville.

I don't know if that is a fair assessment, he did win a MNC with Chris Leak as his starting QB and Tebow in only for spot duty or goal line plays. That Gator team wasn't exactly built for his Spread offense. Then again, I think we're seeing Dan Mullen was the real genius there not Meyer.

49erNation85 12-08-2010 02:51 PM

jrdrylie , I have so agree . I was kind of bummed when they brought the spread back for Brantley.That is just not his style of playing.But I'm sure it would have been hard to learn a whole playbook for the others on the offense.Maybe next year.But I hear Brantley might transfer ?

soybean 12-08-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2418868)
It's not a big loss. He's an overrated coach. With the right QB (Tebow and Alex Smith) he can have great teams. Take that away and he is lost. He completely lacks the ability to alter his offense to suit his players. With the talent of Brantley and all the speed at the skill positions, a Pro Style offense would have been great in Gainesville.

well... he won a BCS title with Chris Leak as his starting qb...

MassNole 12-08-2010 02:55 PM

If Brantley is graduating (or has done so) he could freely transfer and likely get a waiver to even go FBS next season (like Masoli). That was just an awful fit for his skill set, if he went to a pro style offense with a QB guru he could really inflate his stock next season, even a year at Delaware could help a lot. If it's true Mullen is coming in then I think it's safe to say Burton, Reed, or even freshman Jeff Driskel would likely be the starter, so no sense for Brantley to stick around.

Between going to Florida and having committed to Texas at one point it is sad this kid didn't accurately look at his skills and select a better college for his skills.

soybean 12-08-2010 02:56 PM

Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll... both left after their team had craptastic years.

jrdrylie 12-08-2010 02:57 PM

But Tim Tebow played a huge part of it. They don't win without Tebow (or an absolutely amazing defense).

And yes, I hear Brantley is going to transfer. But if they bring in a Pro Style offense, Brantley may stay and Burton might be the guy who heads out the door. Burton could go to an FCS school and still have three years of eligibility left. Brantley would have to go to an FBS school.

MassNole 12-08-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2418882)
But Tim Tebow played a huge part of it. They don't win without Tebow (or an absolutely amazing defense).

And yes, I hear Brantley is going to transfer. But if they bring in a Pro Style offense, Brantley may stay and Burton might be the guy who heads out the door. Burton could go to an FCS school and still have three years of eligibility left. Brantley would have to go to an FBS school.

Well you bring up another good point for Florida's demise this season, he lost not only his offensive genius in Dan Mullen but his defensive genius in Charlie Strong along with the perfect player for his offense.

MassNole 12-08-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 2418881)
Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll... both left after their team had craptastic years.

Completely different circumstances, Carroll left for an NFL position as USC was about to be made the NCAA's ***** in sanctions. Whereas Meyer is leaving just because he can't hack it, or as FSU fans will always believe because he was afraid of becoming second banana to Jimbo Fisher.

Don Vito 12-08-2010 03:01 PM

Hello Dan Mullen nice to see you back around Gainesville.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.