Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Bears fans- Benson vs Jones (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450)

Bearsfan123 06-13-2006 10:35 PM

Bears fans- Benson vs Jones

Which do you pick to be our starter and why?

I pick Jones, he has shown so much heart last year, the Bears cannot let him rot on the bench. Start him and have him split carries with Benson like 18-15 or 20-20 depending on how much we run.

06-13-2006 11:13 PM

Thomas Jones is the better back but Benson is young and makes more money. The team will probably go with Benson not to waste all that money but I would go with Jones because he is better.

06-13-2006 11:13 PM

Adrian Peterson owns them :twisted:

theshark08 06-13-2006 11:17 PM

I would say Jones, he had a HUGE year last year and was the main reason on offense that da Beeeearsss won som many games last season. Not to mention they have a great D.

SuperMcGee 06-13-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshark08
I would say Jones, he had a HUGE year last year and was the main reason on offense that da Beeeearsss won som many games last season. Not to mention they have a great D.

starting to seem eerily similar to Brees-Rivers
Nothing great was expected from the starting veteran, #4 overall pick held out, veteran had a great year. It would be odder if Jones started this year and was sourced out to make room for Benson next year, which could be very likely if Benson shows some stuff during his PT

HawkeyeFan 06-14-2006 12:22 AM

Thomas Jones. Case closed.

America 06-14-2006 12:26 AM

I say Ceddy B because he has the motivation to grab hold of the starting spot and keep it, plus he's supposedly working very hard this offseason and not missing OTA's and stuff like TJ. Added on, there is the pressure of the organization to play the 4th overall pick who's making boatloads of money doing very little. He should be the man this year.

rainbeaukid2 06-14-2006 12:47 AM

i think that they should split carries like priest and LJ.

America 06-14-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

I think the Bears should try to incorperate them both in the same plays to mix things up a bit so that defenses won't know who's going to get the ball on a hand off, screen, etc.

theshark08 06-14-2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America
Quote:

I think the Bears should try to incorperate them both in the same plays to mix things up a bit so that defenses won't know who's going to get the ball on a hand off, screen, etc.

it could work because their QB situation sucks, and Grossman is always hurt so if they run the ball 50 times a game and split them then they should both have pretty good stats but they still have muhammad so that won't work.

r0bz56 06-14-2006 02:23 AM

I would say Jones, because he proved he can make the big plays. And he's a better receiver out of the backfield.

BengalsPwn 06-14-2006 02:07 PM

Lets not forget that Jones was a top ten pick too thats finally living up to his potential. I would slowly incorporate him in. Like Ricky and Ronnie last year.

The Fat Kid 06-14-2006 02:54 PM

split the carries, TJ starts

A Perfect Score 06-16-2006 08:51 PM

its hard to compare them as backs, because they are so differant. IN benson, u have a tank of a RB, who can carry the load for the entire game and doesnt need to split carries. IN thomas jones, u havea guy who has put together one good season, and look at it realistically, he was the bears offense htey had NO passing attack at all. But jones is an effective reciever out ofthe backfield and is a good cutback runner. SO if i had my choice, i start benson and use jones as a 3rd down back, and trade him when the season is over.

SeanTaylorRIP 06-16-2006 09:06 PM

TJ, until he fails to produce he is the starter even if it means Benson is on the Bench for the next 5 years.

smittyjs 06-17-2006 04:05 PM

Jones

I hate Benson for some reason :twisted: :evil:

Go_Eagles77 06-17-2006 06:19 PM

Thomas Jones is the starter unless Benson does something special in camp.

smittyjs 06-17-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77
Thomas Jones is the starter unless Benson does something special in camp.

Benson is working with the 1st team offense this offseason, Jones wants a new contract.

draftguru151 06-17-2006 09:14 PM

Benson is a stud and the workhouse pound it back the Bears need. I know Jones played really well last year, but Benson is going to be something special. They should have tried to ship Jones out so Peterson could get some more action.

toonsterwu 06-18-2006 06:50 AM

Who would I pick as the starter? Easy. Thomas Jones.

Who do I think will be the starter? Harder. My guess is ... if Jones gets in on time, he'll be the starter.

The Unseen 06-18-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

split the carries, TJ starts
That sounds right. Maybe a 60-40 carry split between TJ and Benson respectively.

yourfavestoner 06-18-2006 01:50 PM

It's really difficult because using Benson in a committee approach is going to negate his effectiveness. He's a pounder who gets better as he gets more carries and the defense wears out. For this reason, I'd go with Benson, since he fits the mold the Bears are looking for on offense. I'd rotate Jones in on third downs.

Moses 06-18-2006 02:09 PM

That's an awfully crowded backfield. They should have traded at least one of the three backs for a pick.

nobodyinparticular 06-18-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
It's really difficult because using Benson in a committee approach is going to negate his effectiveness. He's a pounder who gets better as he gets more carries and the defense wears out. For this reason, I'd go with Benson, since he fits the mold the Bears are looking for on offense. I'd rotate Jones in on third downs.

Think about it though, if Benson is getting carries late in the game, but he's only had around 15 while Jones has had 20-25, the defense has seen 35-40 but Benson is still fresh from oonly having 15, thus making his pounding style even more effective later in the game.

Moses 06-18-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner

Think about it though, if Benson is getting carries late in the game, but he's only had around 15 while Jones has had 20-25, the defense has seen 35-40 but Benson is still fresh from oonly having 15, thus making his pounding style even more effective later in the game.

Running the ball that much will never happen in the NFL. 40 rushes a game?