Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   ATH classification (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45547)

shylo3716 01-31-2011 08:13 PM

ATH classification

Ted Ginn Jr. was classified as an ATH coming out of HS but projected as a CB on the college level. He is a player that was a good WR but better known as an outstanding PR/KR on the college level.

I would like to hear from you all who read this......Do you think if Ginn played CB at Ohio State, he would have translated well to the NFL as a CB than a WR?

What other HS ATH prospects do you wonder about if they would have played another position than what they did in college?

Michigan 01-31-2011 08:28 PM

Terrelle Pryor at DE. He'd know exactly what the quarterback is thinking!

J52 01-31-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2504131)
Ted Ginn Jr. was classified as an ATH coming out of HS but projected as a CB on the college level. He is a player that was a good WR but better known as an outstanding PR/KR on the college level.

I would like to hear from you all who read this......Do you think if Ginn played CB at Ohio State, he would have translated well to the NFL as a CB than a WR?

What other HS ATH prospects do you wonder about if they would have played another position than what they did in college?

He has no agility. The discrepancy between his straight line speed and his horizontal speed is absolutely shocking. He might be the fastest man in football over the 100m. But he couldn't shake a DE.

No way he could excel in man coverage. Nobody would beat him deep, but he couldn't keep with anybody in and out of breaks.

Also, he's as physical as a miniature poodle.

keylime_5 01-31-2011 09:39 PM

there's plenty of guys who aren't quicker than Ginn Jr. who are great starting corners. Ginn has terrific hip fluidity and was a great cover corner prospect with tremendous ball skills. He played WR at Ohio State because (a) we needed a stud WR when he was here more than we needed a good corner (b) his playmaking ability was optimized on offense - he scored more touchdowns than he would have prevented with our defense and (c) corners have to be very good tacklers in Ohio State's defense and Ginn was closer to Deion Sanders in that regard. Ginn probably would've been a better pro if he was a cornerback all along, but you know what they say about hindsight.

shylo3716 01-31-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J52 (Post 2504193)
He has no agility. The discrepancy between his straight line speed and his horizontal speed is absolutely shocking. He might be the fastest man in football over the 100m. But he couldn't shake a DE.

No way he could excel in man coverage. Nobody would beat him deep, but he couldn't keep with anybody in and out of breaks.

I'm quite sure if he stuck with CB he would have hit the weight room hard & been in the 190 lb. range

Complex 02-01-2011 12:30 AM

I said this awhile ago, Tressel ruined Ted Gunn when made him a WR. Ginn would have been a great corner

Sniper 02-02-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2504287)
I'm quite sure if he stuck with CB he would have hit the weight room hard & been in the 190 lb. range

Weight has nothing to do with it. Ginn's a ***** who wouldn't go over the middle as a WR. That's the type of guy you want at corner?

bengalsbuckeye_28 02-02-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex (Post 2504534)
I said this awhile ago, Tressel ruined Ted Gunn when made him a WR. Ginn would have been a great corner

Tressel's job isn't to produce pro prospects, his job is to win games at the collegiate level. The way to Ginn was gonna have maximum impact for us was if he had the ball in his hands, so Tress put him at wideout. And as a college WR Ginn was really good, even if a lot of it was him as a decoy.

The drops weren't as much of a problem in college as they have become in the NFL. I think its kinda a mental block more than anything.

JHL6719 02-02-2011 05:19 PM

Ted Ginn is scared to even be tackled, much less come up and make a tackle.

Kid is softer than high dollar bath tissue.

yourfavestoner 02-02-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J52 (Post 2504193)

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper (Post 2506468)
Weight has nothing to do with it. Ginn's a ***** who wouldn't go over the middle as a WR. That's the type of guy you want at corner?

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHL6719 (Post 2506902)
Ted Ginn is scared to even be tackled, much less come up and make a tackle.

Kid is softer than high dollar bath tissue.

This again.

jtice2003 02-02-2011 10:32 PM

haha this has turned into a ted ginn hate fest.

would NOT have made a good corner, not physical enough..got away in the high school level with elite speed.