Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Fiesta Bowl costs UConn 1.8 Million Dollars (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46091)

ryno626 03-03-2011 02:17 PM

Fiesta Bowl costs UConn 1.8 Million Dollars

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...ta-Bowl-030211

Main loss of revenue due to unsold tickets

MidwayMonster31 03-03-2011 02:55 PM

Pretty sure Nevada could've done better, both on the field and selling tickets.

critesy 03-03-2011 05:12 PM

shittttyyyy

Smooth Criminal 03-03-2011 11:23 PM

Kinda pathetic. Wheres your damn fan base for a BCS bowl

ElectricEye 03-03-2011 11:24 PM

Nobody cares about college football on the East Coast. It's really, really sad.

proshoota25 03-03-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2543020)
Nobody cares about college football on the East Coast. It's really, really sad.

i agree. high school football is almost nonexistant as well. its the complete opposite of the south. NFL is the only draw really when is comes to football around these parts...

Giantsfan1080 03-04-2011 08:31 AM

East coast football isn't as popular but you can bet your ass every other Big East school would have sold out or at least would have came much closer than that. It's also expensive to fly from Conn to Arizona. In this economy not many people can afford to do that.

Shane P. Hallam 03-04-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2543017)
Kinda pathetic. Wheres your damn fan base for a BCS bowl

Let's not take these numbers and make an assumption. Yes, UConn won't have the support of Oklahoma, Alabama, or Ohio State, but many students (and dare I say most,) will get tickets in other ways rather than got through the school. 5 bucks says OSU didn't sell out for the Sugar Bowl (even if they say they did).

The fact is, the schools have to buy a bulk of tickets and then sell them at full price, when buying through other places is often easier and cheaper. Many schools lose a ton of cash in Bowls...

wonderbredd24 03-04-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2543220)
Let's not take these numbers and make an assumption. Yes, UConn won't have the support of Oklahoma, Alabama, or Ohio State, but many students (and dare I say most,) will get tickets in other ways rather than got through the school. 5 bucks says OSU didn't sell out for the Sugar Bowl (even if they say they did).

The fact is, the schools have to buy a bulk of tickets and then sell them at full price, when buying through other places is often easier and cheaper. Many schools lose a ton of cash in Bowls...

That number also includes the Hotel Rooms and other crap the school is contractually obligated to purchase

Don Vito 03-04-2011 10:53 AM

High school and college football is growing in the northeast, but it still has a long ways to go. The talent coming out of New England is much better than it has been in a long time, but a lot of the top guys from MA and CT are going to SEC and Big 10 schools rather than staying at home. I can't really blame them since the only two "programs" in the area are BC and UConn. I like BC a lot and they have put a lot of good players into the NFL, but that school isn't really devoted to football. UConn is growing and is probably putting more into football than BC now, but they are still UConn. A BCS game is huge for them but their performance and now this shows they really don't belong. I want to see BC and UConn put more into their football programs because there is talent in New England and BC really recruits outside of New England and knows how to develop players.

LizardState 03-04-2011 12:36 PM

Same school where their wealthiest booster Robert Burton said he wanted his mega-million $ donation back b/c they hired former Syracuse HC Paul Pasqualoni when Edsall moved on to greener pastures after posting a semi-mediocre rcd. -- there were great expectations for UConn last season that evaporated early on when they dropped their opener at Michigan. I had to LOL :--J at any booster arrogant enough to think a donation came with $-back guarantee of more Ws or else.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-donors-attack

Maybe ElectricEye is right, those greener pastures for which hot up & comer HC Edsall departed were anywhere but the Big East & the E. Coast/Northeast, where basketball rules. Did Edsall use UConn for a springboard to a better salary? hell yes he did, what did they expect after just being in the BCS top division for a few yrs. anyway?

I saw that story on ESPN & later the booster's hubbub stirred up got very ethnic & ugly in Connecticut -- if you've ever been there you noted there are a lot of Italian-Americans in that state & some said Pasqualoni, who didn't exactly light up scoreboards while at 'Cuse, was hired just b/c he's Italian.

JMO, but ethnic background should not be any more or less a reason than previous W-L rcds. for a HC hiring in college FB -- note Chizik's awful W -L rcd. at Iowa St. before being hired by Auburn where he won the last NC.