Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Scouts Quotes on Prospects (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46110)

JohnCandy 03-04-2011 11:32 PM

Scouts Quotes on Prospects
 
These are from a piece Bob McGinn does every year on the draft for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

Nate Solder-" he's the most talented tackle overall. he's just got a ways to go with his anchor and learning the tricks of the trade. He doesnt have the grit and finish or the lower body-strength yet. Too tall

Tyron Smith-" his technique is all screwed up, but he has great body balance, feet, and quickness.

Castonzo- "technically, he may be the best of the tackles. he's got a little stiffness. He's athletic but I just dont see any power to him. I just dont like the way he's built. He's linear not real bulky guy.

Carimi- "I think he's probably the most ready to play. I dont think he will be elite type tackle but he will be a good solid pro." 2 scouts said right tackle only. " I think he's a first round pick almost by default. not as good as Bulaga. smart kid, will battle you, you could do worse.

Pouncey- "Brother was a little more powerful. He wont always be pretty but he anchors really well, which is a key for centers and guards. good range, above average athlete, good size, plays hard. had half a dozen faulty shotgun snaps in 2010.

J. Baldwin- " Best hands in draft, huge targert, great ball skills. definatley more of an X(split end) than a Z(flanker). not a good route runner. maneuverability in his hips is a little bit of an issue. chip on his shoulder wants to prove hes as good as Green and Jones.

Liuget- "He's a whole lot better than i thought he was going to be. he doesnt stay blocked long. hes going to beat you with his strength and his feet. quick off the ball, real stout, good insticts.

D Sherrod- " did not look good at senior bowl. hes a hit or miss fuy. Smarter than you average Mississippi State guy. He will be a starter."

Ijalana-" Athletically he's really good. he can bend. He plays to his competition level. the question is, does his fire burn all the time. turned it up only 2 or 3 times in his career. Hes a slab of a man who underachieves. hes willing to work just hasnt had a coach up his rear.

O Franklin-" I think he's better than Castonzo." another scout said "top 50 or 60 player, better than Carimi, more physical and athletic.

M. Cannon- " He tries to win with his size. he's go some stiffness. does not always finish. not ready to play. it will take him a year or so to get it. when he does he has the ability to play left tackle.

Marcus Gilbert- " Hes not real bright. Underachiever, bust waiting to happen."

Kerrigan- " Hes a Kerney, Vanden Bosch. going to make it because he persitstent and savvy. He cares so much. Hes a little tight.

Paea- "he's got a little bit of a height issue. He's a 3-technique. not a nose tackle.

P. Taylor- "He has to keep his weight under control. He's got ability no question about it. really gifted feet.

M. Austin- "if he had any character at all he would be a 1st round pick. he's a punk but he has special, special feet. He does some athletic stuff that makes you go Holy $@*#%

Jimmy Smith- " He's a pretty good player but he's a jerk." most scouts like him but had expressed major misgivings about his character.

Brandon Harris- " Plays with his eyes. he's confident. we see him more as a late second or third round guy."

Aaron Williams- "Hes more finesse than physical. Then again, Texas guys are pampered and cant fight through adversity. good

TheSlinger 03-05-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Kerrigan- " Hes a Kerney, Vanden Bosch. "
Seriously. Seriously. Seriously.

descendency 03-05-2011 12:22 AM

Is that all of it, because Aaron Williams stops in mid sentence..

CashmoneyDrew 03-05-2011 12:30 AM

That scout has horrid grammar.

BeerBaron 03-05-2011 12:30 AM

Why would Paea's lack of height preclude him from being a NT? I'd rather have a shorter guy with leverage than a 6'5 behemoth who's raw strength can be undone by centers getting under him and out leveraging him.

JohnCandy 03-05-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2544054)
Why would Paea's lack of height preclude him from being a NT? I'd rather have a shorter guy with leverage than a 6'5 behemoth who's raw strength can be undone by centers getting under him and out leveraging him.

I do not think it is the height. I think it is the 303lbs. that would keep him from anchoring in the middle of a 3-4.

JohnCandy 03-05-2011 12:33 AM

I thought the Orlando Franklin comment was interesting as I said in another thread he is gaining steam.

BeerBaron 03-05-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2544057)
I do not think it is the height. I think it is the 303lbs. that would keep him from anchoring in the middle of a 3-4.

He just said about the height and not being a NT. Misinterpreted I guess.

JohnCandy 03-05-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2544066)
He just said about the height and not being a NT. Misinterpreted I guess.

I think that this was transcribed from an interview so there are some grammar issues.

I just do not see Paea as a NT, bench press is great, but a NT is built from the legs.

FUNBUNCHER 03-05-2011 01:08 AM

I love Jonathan Baldwin, but 'best hands in draft'???

Over the top praise IMO. At best you could only say he has 'some of the best hands', or ' equal to' the other top prospects coming out.

How does Baldwin have better hands than AJ Green?? That would be like saying Baldwin NEVER DROPPED A PASS. Ever. Even when the ball wasn't thrown directly to him.

I love to hear what scouts think about prospects because of the added insight the can give usually informed by sharing notes with other professional insiders, but man sometimes they sound really off on guys.

Solder could bust because he IMO lacks an instinctive feel for playing OT, like Robert Gallery, another guy who had the tools to be elite but couldn't figure it out at the pro level.

MidwayMonster31 03-05-2011 01:50 AM

Austin Pettis is not amused at talk of Baldwin having the best hands in the draft.
Vanden Bosch is a pretty good comparison for Kerrigan. Both high motor guys who might not have the best size, strength or speed.
For Solder, 6'9 might be too tall. Since he's not a natural knee bender, it would be easy for outside linebackers to get leverage on him. He also doesn't have the best technique yet.

gpngc 03-05-2011 02:20 AM

I remember these from the past few years. Where's the actual article link?

I agree with a lot of it (Baldwin stiffness, Kerrigan stiffness, Liuget monster, Taylor monster, Austin talented, Pouncey not as strong as his brother). And Paea doesn't play like a NT - he's more of a penetrator than anchor.

What I don't understand is how Brandon Harris is a 2nd-3rd round pick??? Size?

Duffman57 03-05-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2544066)
He just said about the height and not being a NT. Misinterpreted I guess.

I think that was supposed to be somewhat of a sidenote. So he does'nt have to bulk to be anything but a UT, and he isn't a NT. Or at least, thats how i read it.

Iamcanadian 03-05-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2544058)
I thought the Orlando Franklin comment was interesting as I said in another thread he is gaining steam.

It just shows the guy doesn't know hat he is talking about. Franklin after his post season, is strictly an OG prospect ande doesn't come close to having the feet the other top OT's in the draft does.

SenorGato 03-05-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2544120)
I remember these from the past few years. Where's the actual article link?

I agree with a lot of it (Baldwin stiffness, Kerrigan stiffness, Liuget monster, Taylor monster, Austin talented, Pouncey not as strong as his brother). And Paea doesn't play like a NT - he's more of a penetrator than anchor.

What I don't understand is how Brandon Harris is a 2nd-3rd round pick??? Size?

+1 with everything here...I do question whether Baldwin's got the best hands but it's not unbelievable....and the Harris thing is weird...I like him better than that...we've seen top CB prospects fall before though...remember Moore and Smith a couple years ago....

Don Vito 03-05-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2544021)
D Sherrod- " did not look good at senior bowl. hes a hit or miss fuy. Smarter than you average Mississippi State guy. He will be a starter."

Hate! Hate! Hate!

A lot of hatred coming from this scout. Diabolical.

Texas Homer 03-05-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2544021)
Aaron Williams- "Hes more finesse than physical.

LOL.


Don Vito 03-05-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Homer (Post 2544255)
LOL.


Keep in mind that tackling NFL players is harder than bringing down a Colorado return man who happens to be standing still.

Texas Homer 03-05-2011 01:16 PM

I'd say that Aaron Williams is pretty physical.

Here a clip of A-Dub from the Texas vs. Nebraska Big 12 Championship game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4QdMwWy6Q

marshallb 03-05-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 2544262)
Keep in mind that is a lot harder to do when the player isn't the Colorado's returner who happens to be standing still.

Yea, I was going to say that a hit on a special teams play doesn't affect how he plays as a corner which is what is most important as far Williams's physicality(or perceived lack thereof).

marshallb 03-05-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Homer (Post 2544263)
I'd say that Aaron Williams is pretty physical.

Here a clip of A-Dub from the Texas vs. Nebraska Big 12 Championship game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4QdMwWy6Q

Sorry man, but I didn't see any great physicality in that highlight. He made a couple tackles, but none were real strong aggressive tackles, and I didn't once see him get physical with a WR.

Texas Homer 03-05-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallb (Post 2544265)
Yea, I was going to say that a hit on a special teams play doesn't affect how he plays as a corner which is what is most important as far Williams's physicality(or perceived lack thereof).

I'm just curious. Have you heard anyone else express that Williams might have a lack of physicality as a CB?

I haven't. This is the first time that I have ever heard anyone imply that.

gpngc 03-05-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallb (Post 2544268)
Sorry man, but I didn't see any great physicality in that highlight. He made a couple tackles, but none were real strong aggressive tackles, and I didn't once see him get physical with a WR.

Agreed.

I don't think it was a huge knock, but I think "willing tackler" and "physical (aggressive,especially as it pertains to press coverage" are two different things and that's what I think the scout was saying.

Williams still looks like a nice prospect.

Texas Homer 03-05-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2544271)
Agreed.

I don't think it was a huge knock, but I think "willing tackler" and "physical (aggressive,especially as it pertains to press coverage" are two different things and that's what I think the scout was saying.

Williams still looks like a nice prospect.

Thats an honest post.

I still very much disagree with this scout's assessment of Aaron Williams lack of physicalness as a CB.

I think pretty much everyone that has watched Texas play the last few seasons would agree.

Texas Homer 03-05-2011 01:36 PM

I'll try and stay away from this thread though as not to clutter it up on my thoughts on this b/c I am biased and could probably go on-and-on all day on this.

Thanks for posting.

His thoughts are definitely interesting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.