Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Yahoo! is sitting on two big stories coming out this year (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46192)

JoeJoeBrown 03-10-2011 10:22 AM

Yahoo! is sitting on two big stories coming out this year

More scandals to come. Looks like it will be two different schools.

Quote:

Charles Robinson, one of the investigative reporters for Yahoo! Sports, was just interviewed on the Waddle and Silvie show on ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago. He stated that there are two additional high-profile stories he is working on, on which will break within the next few weeks and another that looks like it will break in August. Mr. Robinson was prodded fairly hard by Tom Waddle, but would not divulge any individual or institutional names. He was asked to rate the Tressel story on a scale of 1-10 scale, and gave it an 8. Mr. Robinson rated the story to be broken this month as a 6-7, and gave the late-summer story a 10-rating, without hesitation.

mqtirishfan 03-10-2011 11:01 AM

Jesus Christ, does Yahoo! have anything better to do than see if kids are getting paid?

CashmoneyDrew 03-10-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqtirishfan (Post 2549636)
Jesus Christ, does Yahoo! have anything better to do than see if kids are getting paid?

Damn those sports journalists doing their jobs!!!!!!!!

J-Mike88 03-10-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqtirishfan (Post 2549636)

Is that directed just to JC, or all of us?

brat316 03-10-2011 11:17 AM

Really the JT story was an 8. I wasn't that excited for it. This guy is wack or he is down playing his 6-7 story.

Giantsfan1080 03-10-2011 11:27 AM

This is like steroids in baseball. Everyone knew they were doing it and the higher ups let it go. The public started to have an outcry against it after similar investigative reporting and then after a while the public stopped caring. I see something similar happening here.

killxswitch 03-10-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2549660)
This is like steroids in baseball. Everyone knew they were doing it and the higher ups let it go. The public started to have an outcry against it after similar investigative reporting and then after a while the public stopped caring. I see something similar happening here.

I never cared in the first place, with either situation.

mqtirishfan 03-10-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 2549641)
Damn those sports journalists doing their jobs!!!!!!!!

I understand this is their job, it just seems like college football payment stories are the only thing Yahoo ever breaks.

CaneBang 03-10-2011 01:46 PM

any predictions on the 10?

My guess is it has to do something with either USC/Lane Kiffin or a big time program known for behaving like Texas or Oklahoma.

I wouldn't rule out Florida either, cause as much as people wanna believe that Urban Meyer wanted to spend more time with his family, he didn't have the most sophisticated program in Gainesville. So maybe he pulled a Pete Carroll and got out while it was still relatively safe.

P-L 03-10-2011 02:23 PM

Clemson has to be one of them, right? I mean, I'd investigate them just based off of some of their recent recruiting classes.

JoeJoeBrown 03-10-2011 02:48 PM

What's funny is that it could be any of the schools already mentioned in this thread. Or it's sad. Either way, there is a lot of crap going on at a lot of schools.

I just hope the 10 isn't OSU.

I know it's not popular, but professionalize the game.

jrdrylie 03-10-2011 02:58 PM

I wonder why they are waiting so long to release the 10 story. If they have the information, why wait until August.

As for the athletes getting paid, I think they should get in trouble if agents, boosters, or the school directly pays them. But they should be able to sell their own things like jerseys or rings. In college, I would sell my text books online at the end of the semester. It was an easy way to make a couple hundred bucks. Since the school provides the books to the athletes, would they be suspended for doing the same thing? If so, these rules are getting ridiculous!

Don Vito 03-10-2011 03:02 PM

Clemson seems like a pretty good guess.

JoeJoeBrown 03-10-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2549971)
I wonder why they are waiting so long to release the 10 story. If they have the information, why wait until August.

As for the athletes getting paid, I think they should get in trouble if agents, boosters, or the school directly pays them. But they should be able to sell their own things like jerseys or rings. In college, I would sell my text books online at the end of the semester. It was an easy way to make a couple hundred bucks. Since the school provides the books to the athletes, would they be suspended for doing the same thing? If so, these rules are getting ridiculous!

That's what the Tat5 did, selling their rings and other flair. But the rumor is that they also sold new equipment. I.e. they stole it.

Regardless, I would like to see an opt in system where boosters, sponsors, etc... can pay a player. They get no scholarship. If you don't get paid, you get a scholly. Just put the things that are in the shadows out in the open now. It would be a lot cleaner, IMO.

Yeah, some super boosters would go nuts at some schools, like say T Boone Pickens at Okie State and Phil Knight at Oregon. But so what? It already happens that way.

phlysac 03-10-2011 10:35 PM

Rich Rodriguez mentioned it very sparcely today on The Herd. Said that what Tressel did wasn't giving his team a competetive advantage and that some schools "like the ones being looked at" do. Colin Cowherd then said he was speaking of Oregon and "an SEC school."

MetSox17 03-10-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaneBang (Post 2549886)

My guess is it has to do something with either USC/Lane Kiffin or a big time program known for behaving like Texas or Oklahoma.

SickwithIt1010 03-11-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 2550488)
Rich Rodriguez mentioned it very sparcely today on The Herd. Said that what Tressel did wasn't giving his team a competetive advantage and that some schools "like the ones being looked at" do. Colin Cowherd then said he was speaking of Oregon and "an SEC school."

How was he not giving his team a competitive advantage? The sooner he lets that info be known, the sooner those guys get suspended...

Sniper 03-11-2011 08:24 AM

My guesses!

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oregon
5. Tennessee

I didn't put my favorite team and put their biggest rival. Sue me.

descendency 03-11-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaneBang (Post 2549886)
any predictions on the 10?

Oregon is getting major sanctions.

Complex 03-11-2011 12:13 PM

1. Florida
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Ohio State
5. Auburn

jrdrylie 03-11-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex (Post 2550887)
1. Florida
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Ohio State
5. Auburn

Could be Florida. Maybe Urban wanted to get out before crap went down.

CashmoneyDrew 03-11-2011 03:36 PM

Why Tennessee Sniper?

Sniper 03-11-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew (Post 2551093)
Why Tennessee Sniper?

Just because I figure Kiffin might have something major left over from his time. Nothing personal. Like I said, purely guessing.

CashmoneyDrew 03-11-2011 04:15 PM

I'm not taking it personal at all. Just curious what others are thinking.

J-Mike88 03-12-2011 07:38 AM

I would think the 10 should only be for one of THE top, marquee football programs.
It could be Tennessee, but no disrespect to the Volts, but they're not at that level IMO. If it was them, I can't imagine it being classified as a "10" story.

I'm thinking a 10 would have to be a Texas or Oklahoma, Florida, Auburn, Alabama or LSU, or GOd forbid (especially during Lent), Notre Dame. Can you imagine that one if they got caught big time with their hand in the cookie jar? I'm just throwing it out there as a longshot, a Hail Mary so to speak.