Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TE Wiggins agrees with Jags (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4726)

Sveen 03-23-2007 07:39 AM

TE Wiggins agrees with Jags
 
Quote:

Unrestricted free agent tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who flourished as a receiver under Mike Tice in Minnesota, will have the chance to play again for his former coach.

Cut loose earlier in the offseason by the Vikings, where he asked to be released because he felt he was a poor fit in the offense designed by coach Brad Childress, Wiggins has reached agreement with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a one-year, $1 million contract. The deal reunites him with his former head coach Tice, currently the Jaguars' assistant head coach for offense.
Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

portermvp84 03-23-2007 09:37 AM

I knew they would sign somebody after loosing Kyle Brady.

The Unseen 03-23-2007 09:52 AM

It's a good signing. Kyle Brady left, and George Wrighster recently had more surgery on his back. I think it's a signing more for Wrighster than Brady, as Wiggins is more of a pass-catcher than blocker, when Kyle Brady was here for his blocking.

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 09:57 AM

I wouldn't read too much into it. They gain some pass catching, lose some run blocking. It leaves them roughly in the same offensive vicinity they were last year.

The Unseen 03-23-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 242558)
I wouldn't read too much into it. They gain some pass catching, lose some run blocking. It leaves them roughly in the same offensive vicinity they were last year.

It's not supposed to be a key-signing anyways. It's a bottom-dollar deal for an experienced back-up with a good history with his former head coach now his new position coach.

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 242573)
It's not supposed to be a key-signing anyways. It's a bottom-dollar deal for an experienced back-up with a good history with his former head coach now his new position coach.

Yeah, I agree. It was a good signing. Im a big fan of cheap FA aquisitions. I hate the top tier FA signings, they usually don't pan out.

I think keeping Tice as your Assistant HC/OC is gonna be important. He's an underrated offensive mind. And he's a diehard Giant fan. Sounds like a good guy if you ask me.

TitleTown088 03-23-2007 10:17 AM

Ahhh wiggins. The man that looks like he shouldn't even be able to walk to the fridge to get a beer, but yet he can hurdle linebackers on the football feild. He may very well be the only Viking I ever admired.

The Unseen 03-23-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 242581)
Yeah, I agree. It was a good signing. Im a big fan of cheap FA aquisitions. I hate the top tier FA signings, they usually don't pan out.

I think keeping Tice as your Assistant HC/OC is gonna be important. He's an underrated offensive mind. And he's a diehard Giant fan. Sounds like a good guy if you ask me.

I implied this in my previous comment, but he's now also the TE's coach. With what he's done with TEs in the past, that only bodes well for the Jags offense. It showed last year a bit with Wrighster, who kinda came out of nowhere, albeit it was because he then got an opportunity.

TACKLE 03-23-2007 11:03 AM

Should be a pretty good TE combo with Merecedes Lewis and Wiggins.

princefielder28 03-23-2007 11:06 AM

Just a replacement; he won't make that big of an impact

Hines 03-23-2007 11:07 AM

will lewis start or will wiggins

portermvp84 03-23-2007 12:02 PM

I suppose Lewis would. He's knows the system good TE all around.

yourfavestoner 03-23-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HinesWardJr (Post 242677)
will lewis start or will wiggins

Lewis and Wrighster will probably battle it out for the starting tight end job. Wiggins is pretty much the number two tight end by default. The odd man out will just rotate in as a situational pass catcher in passing situations.

DHVF 03-23-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 242601)
With what he's done with TEs in the past, that only bodes well for the Jags offense.

Tell me, what exactly has he done with TEs in the past?

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 12:30 PM

Mike Tice always has a pencil in his ear. This is a clear sign that he he's a deep thinker. Or has aspirations to be a junior high shop teacher.

I wanted the Bears to sign him as a backup, although I knew they wouldn't.

The Unseen 03-23-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan (Post 242804)
Tell me, what exactly has he done with TEs in the past?

They've had successful TEs in Minnesota, no? Tight ends that were once
"nobodies" that becaming viable receiving options.

ElectricEye 03-23-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitleTown088 (Post 242589)
Ahhh wiggins. The man that looks like he shouldn't even be able to walk to the fridge to get a beer, but yet he can hurdle linebackers on the football feild. He may very well be the only Viking I ever admired.

Jermaine Wiggins is the man.
He's actually a pretty solid tight end. He was great three years ago, but that had a lot to due with playing with a healthy, mobile Culpepper who threw to him on check downs. He's very good at finding a way to get loose in zone coverage for short gains. I don't think he'll beat out Lewis, but I think he'll be productive when he sees the field for you guys. Good signing.

portermvp84 03-23-2007 02:28 PM

He's a big TE, I wanted Oakland to sign him.

TitleTown088 03-23-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 242814)
Mike Tice always has a pencil in his ear. This is a clear sign that he he's a deep thinker. Or has aspirations to be a junior high shop teacher.

I wanted the Bears to sign him as a backup, although I knew they wouldn't.

DO you know the reason Tuce puts that pencil behind his ear?

georgiafan 03-23-2007 03:01 PM

good sign, how dare you bad mouth the Jermaine "the body" wiggins

DHVF 03-23-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 242825)
They've had successful TEs in Minnesota, no? Tight ends that were once
"nobodies" that becaming viable receiving options.

Define successful. And what nobodies are you talking about? Byron Chamberlain, 2nd round pick Jim Kleinsasser...?

The Unseen 03-23-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan (Post 243470)
Define successful. And what nobodies are you talking about? Byron Chamberlain, 2nd round pick Jim Kleinsasser...?

Lots of catches.

What's your point?

eaglesalltheway 03-23-2007 05:29 PM

He was probably brought in as a #2 or #3 TE. I think Lewis will win the starting job and Wiggins will have to batlle it out with Wrightster.

SPQRBucs 03-25-2007 12:53 AM

This is a good signing for the Jags, who FINALLY seem to be doing something with the money they've got. With a lack of a #1 WR in JAX, I expect this guy to catch at least 50 passes this year.

DHVF 03-25-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 243557)
Lots of catches.

What's your point?

My point is that you made a false statement. Not once did he turn anyone from off the radar to producer at TE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.