Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Ponder Will Be Best QB To Come Out Of This Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47314)

D-Unit 04-29-2011 04:16 PM

Ponder Will Be Best QB To Come Out Of This Draft

Now that some of the dust has settled, I'm convinced that Christian Ponder will have the brightest career out of the QBs selected in this year's draft. People can say the Vikings reached, but their board was put together for their own team. Not for the other 31.

Ponder will succeed because:

1) Intelligence. Graduated in 2.5 years with a 3.7 GPA and already has a Master's degree. Goes to show the kind of committment and work ethic he has off the field. It's also a good sign to show that a high ceiling on his learning capacity, which is crucial for the QB position.

2) Strong arm. Ponder's arm is plenty strong to make all the NFL throws. If you don't know it, watch him.

3) Elusive on his feet. He's not a runner like Newton, Tebow, Vick... but he's comfortable making plays on his feet and escaping pressure. In a lot of ways he reminds me of how Romo used to be. Romo runs a lot less now days, but he used to be a magician back there. So while he uses his feet well, he doesn't take off and scramble on his first instinct. Big plus.

3) Ponder comes from a pro style system. His footwork out from underneath center is smooth and automatic. He doesn't have to think about his footwork. It's just natural, unlike his peers coming from spread option systems who don't have the repetitiion advantage.

4) No accuracy question marks. While Locker and Newton have been highly criticized of this, nobody says that about Ponder.

5) He's a gunslinger. He's got that Brett Favre, never die attitude. He looks to extend plays and make things happen out of nothing. While that can be good many times, it has lead to some of his INTs... but the Vikings will love him for it.

6) Alpha male. This is important to me. Ponder sparkles those good looks that all those confident lead dogs have. People like him and gravitate him. People want to follow him. He's an easy guy to place confidence in. When he leads, you want to listen. That's the type he is. Not just because of his looks, but the complete package. Looks, smarts, athletic... fricken... our society loves those kinds of people. That's just the way it is.

7) Strong supporting cast. Now here is the real kicker that puts everything over the top. Ponder is going to a place where he can succeed right away. Handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson and targets like Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Berrian and Camarillo... not to mention a solid TE in Shianco... Ponder is landing in the best situation of all the other QBs in this draft.

So before you start knocking the pick (all you Locker lovers who praised Tennessee), realize you might be knocking the best QB to come out of this draft!!! They didn't reach. They got a damn STEAL!

keylime_5 04-29-2011 04:20 PM

his upside isn't as great as Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, or Kaepernick....but you are probably right. If he stays healthy he probably will end up better than those other guys. He was good in college, just hurt a lot.

Saints-Tigers 04-29-2011 04:24 PM

Don't get caught in the off field trap(Alex Smith). Off field intelligence doesn't automatically translate

gpngc 04-29-2011 04:24 PM

He has those traits, but that never translated into consistent proficient play at the college level.

The best indicator of future performance is past performance. I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but it's hard for me to predict success in the NFL for a QB who didn't really have much of it in college.

With that said, you can never question the heart and will of an athlete. If he wants to get better and improve, maybe he can become a solid NFL QB. I wouldn't bet on it though.

the natural 04-29-2011 04:33 PM

Don't know about the "Alpha male" bit. He hung with Gabbert a lot this spring, and Gabbert seemed the dominant personality even though he is a couple of years younger than Ponder.

marty264 04-29-2011 04:34 PM

His arm strength was plenty good before the forearm injury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc

Hopefully it returns to that level.

FUNBUNCHER 04-29-2011 04:35 PM

I don't know how many here watch much ACC football, but if you have, Ponder has some really pathetic performances on his resume. No ACC fan IMO would imagine at the end of the 2010 season that Ponder would be regarded as a high first round pick.

He may be academically smart, but that raw intelligence doesn't always translate to being football savvy.

It's hard for me to believe he'll be a significantly better pro than he was a collegian. Ponder had always had a decent Oline, raw talent at WR, serviceable RBs, all while playing in a conference on par competition wise with the Big East.

And yet Ponder never was a dominant QB. Ponder, like Gabbert, is a prospect who benefited from a bang-up predraft postseason, playing well in allstar games and testing better than teams believed he would as an athlete.

IMO he's Patrick Ramsey, a guy with tools but something is lacking that makes him a 1st string NFL QB.

If Ponder pans out, Personally I'll have to re-evaluate what is it that identifies a college QB as a future pro.

Va Tech's Tyrod Taylor also played in a pro style offense in college, and compare what he did for the Hokies in his final year to Ponder. Tyrod blew Ponder away in every category except completion percentage.

Do people view Taylor as a future starter in the NFL?? Same arm as Ponder, wicked mobility, an inch shorter (6'1 to 6'2).

Maybe they should.

SchizophrenicBatman 04-29-2011 04:36 PM

Ponder sucks. Ask anyone who's actually watched him play

SchizophrenicBatman 04-29-2011 04:36 PM

BTW that "pro style" system is the famed Bobby Petrino offense

the natural 04-29-2011 04:38 PM

Ponder's athleticism is really underrated, I will give you that. Look at his combine numbers, he is right there with Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Kaepernick. In terms of size and his test scores.

Hurricanes25 04-29-2011 04:39 PM

I'm a fan of Ponder but c'mon, you can't take him at #12. He would have been a good value late 1st/early 2nd.

marty264 04-29-2011 04:44 PM

Hurricanes25, the Vikes' 'GM' said that they called every team below them, and couldn't find a trade partner, whether its true or not, who knows? Seems like a reach when looking at draft analysts big boards, but what happens if they did manage to trade down and Washington takes him at 16?

FUNBUNCHER 04-29-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the natural (Post 2588328)
Ponder's athleticism is really underrated, I will give you that. Look at his combine numbers, he is right there with Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Kaepernick. In terms of size and his test scores.

All these guys are bunched together in the 4.5 - 4.6 range, ridiculous speed for a QB, but IMO only Newton, Locker and CK are really effective scrambling, (decent lateral movement and can consistently make one tackler miss.)

Ponder and Gabbert don't look real comfortable in the open field and are more or less straight line runners, but still a QB with those kinds of wheels is always a threat on 3rd and 8 to take off and pick up the first down.

SchizophrenicBatman 04-29-2011 04:53 PM

Ponder can move around outside the pocket but any time he actually runs with the ball he looks like he's about to take a concussion. Same with Gabbert

batsandgats 04-29-2011 06:36 PM

"Don't know about the "Alpha male" bit. He hung with Gabbert a lot this spring, and Gabbert seemed the dominant personality even though he is a couple of years younger than Ponder."

LOL where do you get this crap from? Even if its true, what does his personality hanging out with Gabbert off the field have to do with how he is with his team? I understand you have a man crush on Gabbert, but do you really find it necessary to bash every other prospect that isn't Gabbert? It doesn't elevate Gabbert AT all.

I mean what does that statement even mean? Dominant personality. They were eating candy and Gabbert asked for some and Ponder, well i didn't want to give mine up, but okay here you go?

Fred Savage 04-29-2011 06:49 PM

I agree Mr. Unit. I think he is one of the cutest guys in the draft.

DenverFan1974 04-29-2011 06:51 PM

Ponder @ #12 was a serious stretch but I still like him because of everything he brings to the table. I wouldn't have drafted before Kaepernick just because of durability issues which is a significant issue and even more concerning at the Vikes which couldn't keep anyone off of Favre. If they shore up the line he may be successful, if not he's a back-up in two years.

KCJ58 04-29-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Savage (Post 2588959)
I agree Mr. Unit. I think he is one of the cutest guys in the draft.

YES YES YES, It's FRED SAVAGE!

fenikz 04-29-2011 07:15 PM

the d-unit seal of doom

D-Unit 04-29-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2589128)
the d-unit seal of doom

Too late. I already used it up on hyping up Patrick Peterson. ;)

brasho 04-29-2011 08:31 PM

I've seen enough of Ponder, his noodle arm, and the hype he got undeservedly at FSU to know that at #12 he was a risk.

1) He doesn't have a great arm. His arm is average at best. The injuries may have unfairly made his arm look worse than it was.... but that's another issue/

2) Too frequently injured. He's not big, he wasn't durable in college, there's no reason to believe he will ever be healthy in the NFL.

3) I didn't see how he performed all that well at the Senior Bowl. His biggest play was also his worst play, the 40+ yard eephus pitch he threw to Hankerson should have a) never been thrown b) been shot like a duck shortly after it left his hand. Bad decision, worse throw, terrible arm strength shown on that particular play.

4) Book smarts has never been a great predictor of NFL success. He has had some incredibly boneheaded throws/decisions over his time that suggests he doesn't have a great mind while in the pocket.

If he can stay semi-healthy he could someday be a Jeff Garcia-type WCO QB, but he'll never be elite.

brasho 04-29-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverFan1974 (Post 2588974)
Ponder @ #12 was a serious stretch but I still like him because of everything he brings to the table. I wouldn't have drafted before Kaepernick just because of durability issues which is a significant issue and even more concerning at the Vikes which couldn't keep anyone off of Favre. If they shore up the line he may be successful, if not he's a back-up in two years.

CK is soooo athletic that he'll be able to survive on that as his own checkdowns and be a decent rookie... factor in the fact that he will be leading Harbaugh's offense with Gore, Crabtree, and Davis and I think a star is born!

yo123 04-29-2011 08:39 PM

I've come around to the pick a little. If they liked him and thought someone would snatch him up if they traded down then whatever. The Kyle Rudolph pick was worse.

Giants34 04-29-2011 09:17 PM

lol id disagree with this but id get an "infraction" on the DL. great call...

wogitalia 04-29-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

7) Strong supporting cast. Now here is the real kicker that puts everything over the top. Ponder is going to a place where he can succeed right away. Handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson and targets like Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Berrian and Camarillo... not to mention a solid TE in Shianco... Ponder is landing in the best situation of all the other QBs in this draft.
You seem to have forgotten a major part of the supporting cast... he has no OL in front of him. The Vikes have one of the very worst OLs in the NFL, with a particularly special level of ineptitude in pass protection.

I like Ponder as a player, I just don't like reaching so much for him, I think he is the 2nd best QB in this draft, he doesn't have the upside of a couple of the other guys, but he also doesn't have the character issues or flaws.

But to reach on a fragile QB with plenty of injury issues so you can put him behind a pathetic line, a line that managed to finally end Favre's career by not blocking, turns what should have been a safe prospect into a massive risk.

I still like Ponder, I just don't like where we picked him or that we passed on some serious OL/DB talent to do so. Especially given how comparably little it cost the Saints to trade back in to where I think Ponder would still be available.