Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Carolina Panthers Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Cam Newton Era Begins (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47315)

Smash28Dash34 04-29-2011 04:41 PM

The Cam Newton Era Begins

Well, as negative as I was about him being the pick pre-draft, I'm offically jumping on board the Cam bandwagon. I am doing this because I want to see Cam succeed in Carolina and help us get taken seriously again. Panther fans as a whole are split down the middle on Cam Newton, but as a fan of this team we should be pulling for him to be great. The rest of this draft is going to be very important in how Cam will develop, because from a WR/TE standpoint, if and when #89 is traded or released we will have 0 weapons for him to work with. My opinion on what the Panthers should do with their 2 3rd round picks is draft either 2 WRs or 1 WR and a TE. Unlike what we did for Jimmy, lets actually try and get Cam some legitimate recievers to throw to. I doubt Lafell will amount to anything special in the Nfl and we all know the Armanti Edwards story. Gettis has potential, but not if we don't get him some help. So on that note, I'm officially jumping on the Camthers bandwagon. Whose with me?

gpngc 04-29-2011 04:50 PM

A couple of points:

-Newton looked so much better speaking at his press conference than he did during all the pre-draft stuff. Stress may have been causing him to speak like an idiot so much before the draft. Now he looks like "time to ball" which is just scary. I'm starting to think he'll be a monster.

-Clausen apparently was the first player in the building this morning and also texted Newton to congratulate him. I know it's easy to write him off due to his terrible performance as a rookie and the shiny new toy but Clausen improving into a good player is NOT out of the question. He was a fine QB at ND and rookie QBs struggle all the time - even guys who turn out to be great. I wouldn't write him off just yet and I was impressed when I heard of his last two acts. We were spoiled by the recent success of Sanchez, Ben, Flacco, Ryan, etc. I would not be surprised if Clausen turned this into a San Diego 2005 situation which would obviously be a good thing.

Very curious to see how it works out in Carolina...

Smash28Dash34 04-29-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2588364)
A couple of points:

-Newton looked so much better speaking at his press conference than he did during all the pre-draft stuff. Stress may have been causing him to speak like an idiot so much before the draft. Now he looks like "time to ball" which is just scary. I'm starting to think he'll be a monster.

-Clausen apparently was the first player in the building this morning and also texted Newton to congratulate him. I know it's easy to write him off due to his terrible performance as a rookie and the shiny new toy but Clausen improving into a good player is NOT out of the question. He was a fine QB at ND and rookie QBs struggle all the time - even guys who turn out to be great. I wouldn't write him off just yet and I was impressed when I heard of his last two acts. We were spoiled by the recent success of Sanchez, Ben, Flacco, Ryan, etc. I would not be surprised if Clausen turned this into a San Diego 2005 situation which would obviously be a good thing.

Very curious to see how it works out in Carolina...

I feel bad for him. This is only going to make Jimmy stronger though. While he did not light up the stat sheets by any measure last year, he was not the only one to blame. People can't seem to realize that though. I hope Jimmy does good somewhere else and shows Marty Hurney that he gave up to quickly.

FTRWRTR 04-29-2011 06:25 PM

I'm rooting for cam too and hope you guys get him some weapons, with steve smith looking to leave things won't be pretty on that offense.

Bosanac01 04-29-2011 11:47 PM

I'm pumped to see newton in a panthers jersey. NFC south has the best QBs of any division, and it's not even close. I think Newton can succeed even without anyone around him, he'll just put the team on his back.

dj825 04-30-2011 12:58 AM

I'm also really hoping he turns out to be great, though i was more in favor of maybe taking A.J Green and giving Clausen another shot...or really his first real shot, Although I think Cam has potential to be a better QB than Clausen so even though I wouldnt have taken him there I cant complain and I cannot wait to see Cam on Sundays in Panther jersey.

CJSchneider 05-02-2011 01:17 PM

I can't wait for my Cam to knock your Cam flat on his butt.