Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47347)

niel89 05-01-2011 02:07 AM

Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

With the 2011 draft in the books, its time to look forward to 2012. He was the consensus #1 pick in this draft but decided to come back to finish his degree. He is only going to be a RS Junior but it is believed that he will finish his degree next spring and then go on to the NFL.

Has every major thing that you look for in a QB, but how much will he be picked apart like many returning top QB?

How will he adapt to losing his HC/OC, 3 new starters on the OL, and losing his top 2 WRs? Can he possibly keep up with the enormous expectations of him? Is he the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning?

Can't wait to see the 2012 season to find out the answers to these questions, and more.

metafour 05-01-2011 02:13 AM

Come back to me in a year and I'll answer all those questions.

San Diego Chicken 05-01-2011 06:31 AM

Well, if the spring game was any indication, he won't miss a beat. Luck went 16/22 for 165 yards and 3 TD passes, and they scored touchdowns on every possession that he was in the game. I really don't think he'll miss any of the exiting coaches or players. He still has Jonathan Martin who looks like a first round pick eventually. He's as critical as anyone to Luck's success.

stl9erfan 05-01-2011 07:04 AM

Yeah, Luck should be fine. The OL returns some good starters, and his RB and TE corps are mostly intact. He'll need to work with some new WR, but the offense otherwise shouldn't be much different.

Honestly, if he stays healthy, the only thing that could keep him from being a Heisman front runner is Stanford's D. They lost some key players on that side of the ball in Fua, Keiser, and Sherman. And don't underestimate the impact of the departure of Vic Fangio. In the short term, that probably hurt more than losing Harbaugh (longterm, we'll have to see if David Shaw is able to work similar recruiting magic).

the natural 05-01-2011 12:24 PM

Aaron Murray is better than Luck. I think he'll show that this year if he stays healthy. Not having that goon Fairley around to cheap shot him won't hurt.

SenorGato 05-01-2011 12:32 PM

^^^ I like Aaron Murray alot, but no. Just...no.

FuzzyGopher 05-01-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the natural (Post 2593127)
Aaron Murray is better than Luck. I think he'll show that this year if he stays healthy. Not having that goon Fairley around to cheap shot him won't hurt.

.██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
..▄▄▄▄▄████████

ElectricEye 05-01-2011 03:10 PM

Murray is a nice player...but he's 6'0. No way he ends up being a first round pick just based on that alone. Let's see how he does without the one of the most talented receivers in the nation as a security blanket as well.

I like Luck a lot, but detractors are going to be able to come up with an awfully compelling case against him by the end of the process purely based on the talent around him on the offensive line and arm strength.

Babylon 05-01-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher (Post 2593145)
.██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
..▄▄▄▄▄████████

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be another year of gems from the natural.

Iamcanadian 05-01-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 2592870)
With the 2011 draft in the books, its time to look forward to 2012. He was the consensus #1 pick in this draft but decided to come back to finish his degree. He is only going to be a RS Junior but it is believed that he will finish his degree next spring and then go on to the NFL.

Has every major thing that you look for in a QB, but how much will he be picked apart like many returning top QB?

How will he adapt to losing his HC/OC, 3 new starters on the OL, and losing his top 2 WRs? Can he possibly keep up with the enormous expectations of him? Is he the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning?

Can't wait to see the 2012 season to find out the answers to these questions, and more.

I always view with suspicion, comments like 'he was a sure fire #1 overall pick if he had declared'. Leinart and Locker carried that tag but later we found out it just wasn't true just draftniks fantasies.
Maybe he's immature like Leinart because I see absolutely no reason for him to return considering the problems you mentioned with his team.
OR
He got a rating from the NFL Advisory Draft Board that wasn't near what draftniks are thinking, maybe just a middle of round 1 rating or worse.

We really won't know till next post season but I'm not ready to anoint him just yet.

FuzzyGopher 05-01-2011 04:04 PM

Aaron Murray has big shoes to fill as the natural's overrated love prospect of the year but I'm sure he's up for it.

ElectricEye 05-01-2011 04:05 PM

Blaine Gabbert still has the advantage of having prettier eyes and hair than Murray, something that obviously figures into the evaluation.

keylime_5 05-01-2011 04:26 PM

aaron murray? he's too short and not good enough otherwise to make up for it like Drew Brees and Colt McCoy were.

Pat Sims 90 05-01-2011 04:28 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Matt Barkley will be drafted before Andrew Luck because i think a team will covet Barkley's Arm over Lucks Accuracy.

metafour 05-01-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2593384)
aaron murray? he's too short and not good enough otherwise to make up for it like Drew Brees and Colt McCoy were.

Murray is way better than McCoy...are you serious?

ElectricEye 05-01-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metafour (Post 2593390)
Murray is way better than McCoy...are you serious?

In college? Not in any god damn way. Fair to say he has better projection, but flat out better is asinine.

Murray's height is going to be a big time issue.

jrdrylie 05-01-2011 04:37 PM

I think if any QB passes Luck it will be Landry Jones, not Barkley. At this moment though I think Luck is the best of the bunch.

And stop with the Murray love. He is a short redshift sophomore. Vick is the last redshift sophomore at QB to be drafted and Murray doesn't have Vick's athleticism or arm strength. No way Murray declares this year. So let's not talk about him again for at least a year.

Pat Sims 90 05-01-2011 04:38 PM

With Murray losing AJ Green he will struggle this year. I don't see him coming out.

bored of education 05-01-2011 04:49 PM

I think Luck is a top 5 Qb prospect in the last 5 years. But not number 1, yet.

dannyz 05-01-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2593344)
I always view with suspicion, comments like 'he was a sure fire #1 overall pick if he had declared'. Leinart and Locker carried that tag but later we found out it just wasn't true just draftniks fantasies.
Maybe he's immature like Leinart because I see absolutely no reason for him to return considering the problems you mentioned with his team.
OR
He got a rating from the NFL Advisory Draft Board that wasn't near what draftniks are thinking, maybe just a middle of round 1 rating or worse.

We really won't know till next post season but I'm not ready to anoint him just yet.

He would have been the 1ST Overall Pick and he came back to get a Degree, I am pretty Sure he is a Great Character Guy unlike Leinart.

FUNBUNCHER 05-01-2011 05:20 PM

Are people serious!!!??

I don't like jocking prospects but the fact is IMO there's more 'right' with Luck than there is 'wrong'.

Barkley's arm is strong I guess, but not rare or elite. And anything Barkley does at USC is going to pale to what Luck does because of the difference in talent level between their respective schools.

Luck has been good longer than any other prospect at the position currently in college, that's why I can't see someone having a Cam Newton like season jumping ahead of Luck, if Andrew merely comes close to duplicating his stats from 2010.

Think about it, who would you want on your team; the guy who's been outstanding for 3 years in a pro style offense coached by a former NFL QB and current NFL HC, or an unknown prospect who had one great season??

The only way Luck doesn't go #1 is if an NFL team with an established QB has a horrible season because of injuries etc, and ends up with top pick.

If the worst team in the NFL needs a QB, the pick is going to be Luck.

How good is Landry Jones in 2011?? Maybe if Bradford has a near pro-bowl season and Jones gets compared to him, it's possible his profile elevates in the minds of scouts.

bored of education 05-01-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 2593477)
honestly, i came around on luck this year (after thinking he was relatively bland for the first half of the season).

but he's going to suffer, being under the microscope from day one. if that suffering moves him from #1 overall to... #1 overall, or like leinart, to #10 overall, really depends on how the rest of the qbs play.

I agree 100% sir.

Complex 05-01-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the natural (Post 2593127)

I am so excited for the 2013 draft I heard Tyler Gabbert is a once in a generation QB.

CashmoneyDrew 05-01-2011 05:36 PM

I can't get over the 70.7 percent completion percentage on 8.95 YPA. That is insane to me.

DiG 05-02-2011 11:57 AM

who do you guys see as the top teams in the Luck sweepstakes?

really good shot:
Redskins
Raiders
Bills
Seahawks

outside shot:
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
49ers