Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   NFC East Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Grade the Redskins Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47401)

D-Unit 05-02-2011 08:30 PM

Grade the Redskins Draft
 
Round 1, Pick 16 (16) (From Jaguars) Ryan Kerrigan DE 6'4" 267 Purdue

Round 2, Pick 9 (41) Jarvis Jenkins DL 6'4" 310 Clemson

Round 3, Pick 15 (79) (From Dolphins) Leonard Hankerson WR 6'2" 209 Miami

Round 4, Pick 8 (105) Roy Helu RB 6'0" 219 Nebraska

Round 5, Pick 15 (146) (From Dolphins) Dejon Gomes DB 6'0" 208 Nebraska

Round 5, Pick 24 (155) (From Saints) Niles Paul WR 6'1" 224 Nebraska

Round 6, Pick 12 (177) Evan Royster RB 6'0" 212 Penn St.

Round 6, Pick 13 (178) (From Texans) Aldrick Robinson WR 5'10" 184 SMU

Round 7, Pick 10 (213) Brandyn Thompson DB 5'9" 189 Boise St.

Round 7, Pick 14 (217) (From Dolphins) Maurice Hurt OL 6'3" 318 Florida

Round 7, Pick 21 (224) (From Colts) Markus White DE 6'4" 266 Florida St.

Round 7, Pick 50 (253) (Compensatory Selection) Chris Neild NT 6'2" 319 West Virginia

D-Unit 05-03-2011 01:17 PM

My favorite pick is definitely the Hankerson selection. He's got a ton of talent if he can put it all together. I hope he doesn't go down the Devin Thomas route.

Helu is also a tough underrated runner. That said, I still think Shanny puts too much faith in Ryan Torrain. Torrain is an avg to below avg talent. Helu is better than him already... but he's not a franchise type RB.

Which is why the selection of Jarvis James in Round 2 was so terrible in my eyes. James was a reach, imo. He was selected as if he's a top 5 tech talent and he isn't. Passing on the likes of Mikel Leshoure, Brooks Reed, Torrey Smith, and others... wow. If you selected Leshoure for example, then you would've saved the 2 picks spent on Helu and Royster, and been better off. If you took Torrey Smith... man, Smith and Hankerson would've been a sick complimentry to each other, and with Santana Moss being an old FA... you would've had scary young talent at that position. ...and saved 2 picks along the way... Paul and Robinson are nice potential picks but they have relatively low ceilings. Robinson is a nice slot guy, but Paul is nobody's idea of a scary #2 WR. Then there's Brooks Reed... I know hindsight is not fair, so I'm not going to be very critical of this one, but I bet if you knew he would've been here then Kerrigan wouldn't have been your pick in Round 1.

Speaking of Kerrigan, his weakness against the passing game in the NFL will limit his playing time on the field. Hell of a pass rusher though. Still, I think Cameron Jordan was the best pick for you at that spot. Jordan in Round 1 and Reed in Round 2 would've been epic.

Soo many picks! 12! Do you have room on your 53 man roster to add 12 rookies? This reminds me of Jerry Jones' 2009 draft where he got cute trading down so many times... and ultimately got wasted quantity where he could've had valued quality.

The first trade was great for you guys. I gave you an applause for that one. But the way the rest of the draft went in picking up mediocre to bad talent... Dejon Gomes? Evan Royster? Markus White? Nobody from Round 5 on, outside of Robinson will make you a better team. If you used those picks to move back up for more quality, I would've liked your draft better.

Grade: C

Orakpowned 05-03-2011 01:24 PM

I had a Dallas fan that's into scouting tell me "Your redskins had the best draft in terms of quantity, quality, and schematic fits. Every pick was a homreun in my opinion..."

I tend to agree. Aldrick Robinson will be the steal of this draft.

I give them a solid B. From turning the pick they got from the Jaguars in that trade down to six picks, which ultimately 5, was outstanding.

They have 7 potential rookie starters out of this class.

Excellent draft by Shanahan.

Orakpowned 05-03-2011 01:27 PM

Also, Chris Neild is being an overlooked pick. I've seen he could go anywhere from 3rd to 5th round.

He'll be a plugger at NT. Love that pick.

D-Unit 05-03-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orakpowned (Post 2595158)
I had a Dallas fan that's into scouting tell me "Your redskins had the best draft in terms of quantity, quality, and schematic fits. Every pick was a homreun in my opinion..."

I tend to agree. Aldrick Robinson will be the steal of this draft.

I give them a solid B. From turning the pick they got from the Jaguars in that trade down to six picks, which ultimately 5, was outstanding.

They have 7 potential rookie starters out of this class.

Excellent draft by Shanahan.

I'd like to hear what he had to say in more detail. Especially the schematic fit part. Educate me. Any idea what he means? It seems like such a generalisitc comment. You could say that about any team's draft even if it wasn't true. You guys got quantity, I'll give you that. Quality??? I made my arguments already on that.

Robinson could be a nice value pick... will it be the steal of the draft? Sounds a bit overzealous to me.

7 rookie starters next year? You're just begging for that #1 overall pick next year, aren't cha...

I did give you a higher grade than I gave the Eagles though. Plus, I'm not saying anything I haven't heard your own guys say about the draft. Not trying to be a hater, because I like you Redskins fans. I don't have a great grade for the Cowboys either.

DiG 05-03-2011 02:13 PM

I honestly can't see giving the Skins any less than a B for the way they were able to work the draft and bring in players at positions of need that should be able to make significant contributions. Kerrigan, Jarvis, Hankerson, and Helu all will be given the chance to play early on and I know we all think we are draft experts but I love what Kerrigan brings, even Von Miller talked up Kerrigan as one of the hardest workers he has seen this offseason, and if the coaches think hes a a great fit than Im no one to argue. He just so happened to have one of the best Pro Days of 1st round prospects and private workouts with other 3-4 teams including Jets, Chargers, Ravens, Bills, and Redskins.The guy feels like a Ravens or Steelers style stud.

D-Unit 05-03-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2595191)
I honestly can't see giving the Skins any less than a B for the way they were able to work the draft and bring in players at positions of need that should be able to make significant contributions. Kerrigan, Jarvis, Hankerson, and Helu all will be given the chance to play early on and I know we all think we are draft experts but I love what Kerrigan brings, even Von Miller talked up Kerrigan as one of the hardest workers he has seen this offseason, and if the coaches think hes a a great fit than Im no one to argue. He just so happened to have one of the best Pro Days of 1st round prospects and private workouts with other 3-4 teams including Jets, Chargers, Ravens, Bills, and Redskins.The guy feels like a Ravens or Steelers style stud.

Nah. He seems more like a Chiefs/Broncos guy than a Ravens/Steelers guy.

DiG 05-03-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2595220)
Nah. He seems more like a Chiefs/Broncos guy than a Ravens/Steelers guy.

Do share? I definitely see him more as a Jarret Johnson/Willie Mcginest type of player.

D-Unit 05-03-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2595248)
Do share? I definitely see him more as a Jarret Johnson/Willie Mcginest type of player.

Well, that's a pretty wide range of player right there. :)

DiG 05-03-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2595254)
Well, that's a pretty wide range of player right there. :)

Disagree. I think Johnson is a poor mans McGinest type of player. Kind of a floor and ceiling I see with Kerrigan and I'd be very happy if he played a Johnson type roll although I do think he will be somewhere in between. Guys with non stop relentless motors, never give up on a play, strong against the run but also have the ability to rush the passer on any down. Not necessarily elite athleticism but above average given their size and have the work ethic to take well to coaching.

Kerrigans probably more of a Pats type player than Steelers.

D-Unit 05-03-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2595267)
Disagree. I think Johnson is a poor mans McGinest type of player. Kind of a floor and ceiling I see with Kerrigan and I'd be very happy if he played a Johnson type roll although I do think he will be somewhere in between. Guys with non stop relentless motors, never give up on a play, strong against the run but also have the ability to rush the passer on any down. Not necessarily elite athleticism but above average given their size and have the work ethic to take well to coaching.

Kerrigans probably more of a Pats type player than Steelers.

Johnson is nothing like McGinnest... if we're talking about McGinnest in his prime and Johnson now. I don't even think Johnson is better than Kerrigan now. Johnson is poop.

Vick2Jackson 05-03-2011 05:47 PM

guys just proved while you will continue to be bottom dwellers of the east for years to come... haha.

Orakpowned 05-03-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vick2Jackson (Post 2595385)
guys just proved while you will continue to be bottom dwellers of the east for years to come... haha.


Orakpowned 05-03-2011 09:53 PM

Oh look. The Iggles fan gave the Redskins a C-. Why am I not shocked?

igglefanz 05-04-2011 02:28 AM

Soild draft overall. Value was a little low but addressed some needs even though a few picks were reaches. I dont see any future pro bowlers but alot of good starters and help for this team. I can see all 4 of the first 4 picks starting next year if not this year.

Kerrigan pick is a good pick. I think as of value could of benefited more with a new 3-4 DE or another position of need. But he will bring a great presence opposite Orapko and help him out as of teams scheming him out of plays. I think he does have the speed and ability to be a better pass defender long term but for the short term teams will take advantage of that.

Jenkins was a reach but a need pick. The front 3 Needed to be addressed although this was a bit of a meh move. Now I wont beat up a team for doing it though. You never know truly what other teams will do and their draft boards. You may have an idea but never know. If they feel like this was a person they wanted and it addresses a need then its a good pick.

Hankerson is a great value. I viewed him as one of the top 5 WR's in the draft (( after Baldwin)) and can be a huge asset. Has great hands just at times takes his eyes off the ball and starts running before he secures the ball. But has the build and ability to be a great possession receiver. I see him as a better version of Jason Avant of the Eagles long term.

Helu is a great pick in a Shananhan system. great between the tackles runner with good speed to get outside. I do worry about his ability to cutback a touch and will need to get better at breaking tackles. But will push to start from day one and contribute early.

Gomes I can see as depth at FS or possibly push to start in a year or 2. Is a project there but could pan out. The rest of the draft I see a few chances some risks but nothing that overly wow's me.

tmljeh19 03-18-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2595154)
My favorite pick is definitely the Hankerson selection. He's got a ton of talent if he can put it all together. I hope he doesn't go down the Devin Thomas route.

Helu is also a tough underrated runner. That said, I still think Shanny puts too much faith in Ryan Torrain. Torrain is an avg to below avg talent. Helu is better than him already... but he's not a franchise type RB.

Which is why the selection of Jarvis James in Round 2 was so terrible in my eyes. James was a reach, imo. He was selected as if he's a top 5 tech talent and he isn't. Passing on the likes of Mikel Leshoure, Brooks Reed, Torrey Smith, and others... wow. If you selected Leshoure for example, then you would've saved the 2 picks spent on Helu and Royster, and been better off. If you took Torrey Smith... man, Smith and Hankerson would've been a sick complimentry to each other, and with Santana Moss being an old FA... you would've had scary young talent at that position. ...and saved 2 picks along the way... Paul and Robinson are nice potential picks but they have relatively low ceilings. Robinson is a nice slot guy, but Paul is nobody's idea of a scary #2 WR. Then there's Brooks Reed... I know hindsight is not fair, so I'm not going to be very critical of this one, but I bet if you knew he would've been here then Kerrigan wouldn't have been your pick in Round 1.

Speaking of Kerrigan, his weakness against the passing game in the NFL will limit his playing time on the field. Hell of a pass rusher though. Still, I think Cameron Jordan was the best pick for you at that spot. Jordan in Round 1 and Reed in Round 2 would've been epic.

Soo many picks! 12! Do you have room on your 53 man roster to add 12 rookies? This reminds me of Jerry Jones' 2009 draft where he got cute trading down so many times... and ultimately got wasted quantity where he could've had valued quality.

The first trade was great for you guys. I gave you an applause for that one. But the way the rest of the draft went in picking up mediocre to bad talent... Dejon Gomes? Evan Royster? Markus White? Nobody from Round 5 on, outside of Robinson will make you a better team. If you used those picks to move back up for more quality, I would've liked your draft better.

Grade: C

Love revisiting posts like this...

Brooks Reed over Kerrigan? No thanks, next...

Jenkis a terrible pick? Nope, had an awesome preseason and was in line to start, next...

Mediocre to bad talent the rest of the way? Helu and Royster pushed Torain off the roster. Gomes is nice S depth. Neild was great for a 7th rounder almost last pick in the draft. Paul is a damn good special teams player that the staff loves. Hankerson with a 100 yard game in his first start before the injury. Robinson and White are the only two who didnt prove valuable in the first year only. All in all one HELL of a draft from Shanny!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.