Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Cowboys sign FS Ken Hamlin (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4749)

TNewFan41 03-23-2007 02:36 PM

Cowboys sign FS Ken Hamlin

Per ESPN bottom line.

Thoughts?

Jughead10 03-23-2007 02:37 PM

I'm not sure thats the best move for the Boys. They would have probably been better off with a safety like Reggie Nelson in the draft to pair with Roy.

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 02:37 PM

I guess that means no Reggie Nelson. It was a good signing. If Hamlin can stay healthy, he's a good player. Plus, with Wade's scheme, you need a ballhawk in the worst way. Hamlin gives them that.

Now Roy Williams has no more excuses. I view him as the most overrated player in football, if he doesn't produce this year, he should be benched like any other player on any other team would be.

Jimmy 03-23-2007 02:39 PM

wow how quick did you see that and type this thread i just saw it

and oooo no reggie nelson

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 02:40 PM

and the plot thickens....

Shiver 03-23-2007 02:40 PM

He is an improvement, for sure.

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 02:41 PM

Over/Under on how many Cowboy fans will tell us that this move will get them to the SB this year?

keylime_5 03-23-2007 02:41 PM

I think Nelson is gonna go to Jacksonville or even Carolina anyhow. Dallas can get a left tackle like Joe Staley or a wideout maybe like Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachum if they wanted to now since their biggest needs now seem to be a starting NT and depth elsewhere.

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 02:42 PM

It's intersting that he's been out there so long and that numerous teams chose supposedly inferior talent to him.

Hawks went with Deon Grant and Brian Ruseell over him.

Saints went with Kevin Kasehviaevaknarharn over him.

Anywho, I'm sure it won't hurt. I would guess at this point in the game the contract numbers are reasonable, but you never know.

bsaza2358 03-23-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 243131)
Over/Under on how many Cowboy fans will tell us that this move will get them to the SB this year?

Over/under figure is set at 26 individual posters.

Damix 03-23-2007 02:45 PM

Not a big fan of Hamlin, he bites on a lot of routes, still not the center fielder they need.

Number 10 03-23-2007 02:45 PM

Not exactly the cover safety they need.

Modano 03-23-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 243132)
I think Nelson is gonna go to Jacksonville or even Carolina anyhow. Dallas can get a left tackle like Joe Staley or a wideout maybe like Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachum if they wanted to now since their biggest needs now seem to be a starting NT and depth elsewhere.

Totally agree. I would also put a CB in the mix... Glenn will be gone next year, and Henry is turning 32...

bsaza2358 03-23-2007 02:46 PM

I kind of like this move for the Cowboys. Hamlin fits their aggressive, attacking style very nicely. He really does a lot to complete their starting secondary. With the FA market shrinking, Hamlin was probably the BPA in general, and easily the best safety. I like his style of game, and I think he will fit well with Williams. The Cowboys will still be a little weak covering the deep pass, but they will be better than they were before.

bsaza2358 03-23-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano (Post 243149)
Totally agree. I would also put a CB in the mix... Glenn will be gone next year, and Henry is turning 32...

I was thinking about this and was about to post it, when I saw your post. Good thinking. The Cowboys will look at LT depth, perhaps WR, but CB seems to be a key need. As coincidence would have it, there are a bunch of very good CB's in this draft...

therock6000 03-23-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 243144)
Over/under figure is set at 26 individual posters.

SUPER BOWL...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

only 25 more to go...

bsaza2358 03-23-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therock6000 (Post 243201)
SUPER BOWL...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

only 25 more to go...

This is why therock is one of my favorite posters...

D-Unit 03-23-2007 03:15 PM

Mixed feelings on the signing. I like it, but at the same time, it kills my Reggie Nelson man crush. LOL!

The Hammer has always impressed me from afar with his overall game. He's got that dog in him that makes him a highly competitive player who plays with a passion. I like that about him. Great tackler, frequently around the action and he'll make a big play when you need it. I like his range, but I think he could stand to improve in coverage. A sure improvement and a nice complement to Patrick Watkins. This move will allow Watkins to develop behind Hamlin instead of being tossed in the fire or having to compete with another rookie. I like the stability that we've added at the position. Even a rookie would've come in with some question marks.

This surely opens up a whole slew of options in the draft. I would like to see Dwayne Jarrett, but Joe Staley would be good too with Flozell being in the last year of his contract. CB and OLB could be addressed as well.

toonsterwu 03-23-2007 03:16 PM

A decent move ... and an upgrade, but it really isn't a significant difference unless Ken Hamlin mysteriously learns to cover better.

Ward 03-23-2007 03:17 PM

I am not a fan of this move personally... I'm a Pat Watkins guy, and I think Hamlin is not the center fielding safety answer to our problems.

Moses 03-23-2007 03:25 PM

That has to be the hardest hitting safety tandem in football. It should be interesting to see how they fare in coverage though.

D-Unit 03-23-2007 03:32 PM

I think the idea of needing a centerfielding safety is a bit overrated. I also think Roy gets a bad rap. It doesn't matter though. I'm happy with the tandem and expect our secondary to be much improved. With the pass rush attack that Phillips will bring, it should help our secondary... on the other hand, the lack of a pass rush might kill us.

Our #1 priority from the start of the offseason is still not addressed.

Vince Lombardi 03-23-2007 03:39 PM

So this gives Dallas what, 6 LB's on the field at one time when they're in the 3-4? :p

TNewFan41 03-23-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 243117)
I guess that means no Reggie Nelson. It was a good signing. If Hamlin can stay healthy, he's a good player. Plus, with Wade's scheme, you need a ballhawk in the worst way. Hamlin gives them that.

Now Roy Williams has no more excuses. I view him as the most overrated player in football, if he doesn't produce this year, he should be benched like any other player on any other team would be.

Ehh I don't know BBD, I might give that honor the DeAngelo Hall.

D-Unit 03-23-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 243331)
So this gives Dallas what, 6 LB's on the field at one time when they're in the 3-4? :p

At least we should be able to stop the run better! HAHAHA!