Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Michael Turner to the Packers? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4766)

49ersfan_87 03-23-2007 06:30 PM

Michael Turner to the Packers?
 
Quote:

RUMORS FLY OF TURNER TO PACKERS
We continue to hear rumors from media sources of a possible trade of Chargers running back to the Green Bay Packers.
Turner, a restricted free agent, has been tendered at the highest possible level. Signing him to an offer sheet would subject his team to the sacrifice of a first-round pick and a third-round pick in next month's draft. Earlier this week, Falcons quarterback Matt Schaub, who had carried the same restriction as Turner, was traded to the Texans.
The Packers definitely have a need at the tailback position, given the departure of Ahman Green, who like Schaub will play in 2007 for Houston. The only other running backs with experience on the roster are Vernand Morency and Noah Herron.
Turner is a highly-regarded backup to NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson. But the reality for the Chargers is that, if he plays for the team in 2007, he'll be completely unrestricted in 2008.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

From PFT so take it for what its worth

sdpads24 03-23-2007 06:32 PM

I wouldn't mind that at all. A chance at either Nelson or Landry would be great

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdpads24 (Post 243834)
I wouldn't mind that at all. A chance at either Nelson or Landry would be great

Where do you get anywhere from there that they would give their first for him?

Don't get me wrong, as a Bears fan I would **** my pants if the Packers were stupid enough to give up a 1st for Turner, but I think that's wishful thinking.

Moses 03-23-2007 06:34 PM

I don't really see what the Packers would give up to get Turner. They don't have much ammunition on the roster and they more than likely don't want to get rid of draft picks.

Vince Lombardi 03-23-2007 06:35 PM

From what I've seen I really like Turner, but whether I like the trade or not depends on what we would have to give up.

How do those of you who have seen Turner play alot think he'll fit in a zone blocking scheme?

GB12 03-23-2007 06:35 PM

Someone in the Packers thread posted a rumor that they would swap firsts and thirds.

princefielder28 03-23-2007 06:36 PM

If they gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Turner alone that would be a BIG time mistake by Green Bay

lod01 03-23-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 243840)
I don't really see what the Packers would give up to get Turner. They don't have much ammunition on the roster and they more than likely don't want to get rid of draft picks.

Not for a 1st and a 3rd. That's ridiculous for Turner. If SD changes their demands, maybe.

Vince Lombardi 03-23-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 243837)
Where do you get anywhere from there that they would give their first for him?

Don't get me wrong, as a Bears fan I would **** my pants if the Packers were stupid enough to give up a 1st for Turner, but I think that's wishful thinking.

If TT values Turner more than say, Marshawn Lynch, it could be a possibilty, though definitely not our 1st and 3rd. That said, I don't know enough about Turner to think that he'd be valued that high. I would think a 2nd rounder or higher may be a possibility.

Splat 03-23-2007 06:39 PM

They won't give up a first they will work some thing else out if the deal goes done.

Moses 03-23-2007 06:41 PM

I can't see Ted Thompson trading draft picks. He would rather build through the draft.

jackalope 03-23-2007 06:41 PM

I definitely don't want to give up our 1st for him. that would be terrible. Swapping 1st and 3rds would be alright but I'm still not too big on the idea.

princefielder28 03-23-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 243863)
I can't see Ted Thompson trading draft picks. He would rather build through the draft.

Right on!!!!!!

sdpads24 03-23-2007 06:43 PM

I meant that we would give Turner to the Packers along with the #30 pick for the #16

San Diego Chicken 03-23-2007 06:43 PM

In AJ's first offseason press conference, he wasn't committed to saying Turner will be a Charger in 07 and mentioned all the different ways they could go with him. If it was for #16 and a third, with Turner and #30 to GB, that puts the Chargers in range for Reggie Nelson and all the players in the mix for the #2 WR, be that Meachem, Bowe or Ginn. The Chargers would also have a second and a three thirds. It seems like more draft picks than the team really needs, so the team can move up higher in the second round, or perhaps back into the first, to get whoever they covet (say it was Nelson in the first, it could be Hill in the 2nd, or if it was Ginn in the first, it could be Merriweather or Weddle in the 2nd). Sounds good to me, but I still think AJ would lean more towards keeping Turner than trading him at this moment.

draftguru151 03-23-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 243849)
Not for a 1st and a 3rd. That's ridiculous for Turner. If SD changes their demands, maybe.

That isn't there demands, it is just the RFA tender. What the Packers are offering was never mentioned in that post. I could see them swapping 1st rounders or GB sending over their 2nd. Turner is better than all the 2nd round backs and not much older.

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 243874)
In AJ's first offseason press conference, he wasn't committed to saying Turner will be a Charger in 07 and mentioned all the different ways they could go with him. If it was for #16 and a third, with Turner and #30 to GB, that puts the Chargers in range for Reggie Nelson and all the players in the mix for the #2 WR, be that Meachem, Bowe or Ginn. The Chargers would also have a second and a three thirds. It seems like more draft picks than the team really needs, so the team can move up higher in the second round, or perhaps back into the first, to get whoever they covet (say it was Nelson in the first, it could be Hill in the 2nd, or if it was Ginn in the first, it could be Merriweather or Weddle in the 2nd). Sounds good to me, but I still think AJ would lean more towards keeping Turner than trading him at this moment.

Nobody is going to make that trade.

San Diego Chicken 03-23-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 243904)
Nobody is going to make that trade.

What is Turner worth then? If his value is much less, it's not worth the Chargers time.

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken (Post 243919)
What is Turner worth then? If his value is much less, it's not worth the Chargers time.

He has one more year on the team. You're asking for the value of a 1st round pick for a backup runningback that you're going to have for one more year.

Granted the Falcons fleeced the Texans but there are a few differences.

1)The Packers (unfortunately) aren't that stupid.
2)Teams take chances on QB's all the time. Runningbacks aren't worth nearly as much.
3)While Turner is a hot name, I would argue that the buzz around Schaub was even higher (albeit unjustifiably)

bored of education 03-23-2007 07:05 PM

Is the situation similar to the Schaub (minus the positional different between the two). I'm guessing Turner's value is less.

The Unseen 03-23-2007 07:06 PM

no no no no no nooooo please no

San Diego Chicken 03-23-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 243929)
He has one more year on the team. You're asking for the value of a 1st round pick for a backup runningback that you're going to have for one more year.

Granted the Falcons fleeced the Texans but there are a few differences.

1)The Packers (unfortunately) aren't that stupid.
2)Teams take chances on QB's all the time. Runningbacks aren't worth nearly as much.
3)While Turner is a hot name, I would argue that the buzz around Schaub was even higher (albeit unjustifiably)


According to the value chart, a trade down in the first, and an extra third, has the value of a high second. I could, hypothetically, see a team doing this to obtain Turner's rights to lock him up long term, rather than compete with a myriad of teams next year in a bidding war. Besides, Green Bay needs a strong runner this year, not next year. This year's draft doesn't look very strong for second round backs, if that's what GB is targeting.

princefielder28 03-23-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 243936)
Is the situation similar to the Schaub (minus the positional different between the two). I'm guessing Turner's value is less.

That would be valid.

bigbluedefense 03-23-2007 07:21 PM

Nobody's gonna give you anything more than a round 2 pick for a RB that will be a FA in a year anyway. Nobody is that dumb. You'll be lucky to even get a 3rd for him. Shaun Alexander didn't go for a 2nd, what makes you think Turner will with only 1 year left on his contract? Not happening.

Big Mike 03-23-2007 07:26 PM

I dont wanna see him on such a boring team like green bay.. i'd rather see him on a team like Tennessee or sumn but i guess noone else needs an RB


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.