Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Pryor Done at OSU (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47734)

Jimmy 06-07-2011 05:15 PM

Pryor Done at OSU

Should have stuck to basketball...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6636768

"The attorney for Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor says the quarterback won't return for his senior season with the Buckeyes.

"In the best interest of my teammates, I have made the decision to forgo my senior year of football at The Ohio State University," Pryor said in a statement released by his lawyer, Larry James."

MassNole 06-07-2011 05:18 PM

Too bad he didn't think of the best interests of his teammates more often.

ryno626 06-07-2011 05:23 PM

Wasn't there something having to do with him being eligible for the Sugar Bowl if he'd stayed around for his senior season and sat out the first five games?

MassNole 06-07-2011 05:31 PM

The reason Tressel said they weren't suspended is because they all promised to come back and serve a suspension.

Rabscuttle 06-07-2011 05:36 PM

Making a foolish decision by the NCAA look even worse.

MassNole 06-07-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabscuttle (Post 2609128)
Making a foolish decision by the NCAA look even worse.

I have trouble faulting the NCAA when it's clear tOSU lied to them about what they knew and what had happened. I'm sure this will be reflected in their punishment.

nepg 06-07-2011 06:10 PM

Eh...it really is better to just lie to the NCAA because they have proven to be soo inconsistent with how they handle things... Trying to keep what they know under their control was probably in their best interest.

cdmPSU17 06-07-2011 06:11 PM

My thoughts...

Rabscuttle 06-07-2011 06:14 PM

This is just regarding the delay of the suspensions, not getting down to the heart of the matter earlier.

Trogdor 06-07-2011 07:31 PM

Lack of Institutional Control? Lying to the NCAA? Avoiding an NCAA punishment...

If this doesn't force the NCAA to react as harshly as the last time a school made them look stupid (USC) I'm not 100% sure what will illicit that response. The rats are abandoning ship I feel sorry for the ones not involved that will receive the punishment.

SolidGold 06-07-2011 07:52 PM

USC has been hit hard, OSU will probably recieve a pretty tough punishment as well. I wonder if the NCAA is finally shifting towards enforcing the rules and are going to try to finally get these programs to fall in line as much as possible.

OSUGiants17 06-07-2011 08:06 PM

**** well you can forget about doing anything big this year. LETS GO BRAXTON MILLER!!!!!!!!

keylime_5 06-07-2011 08:18 PM

OSU probably won't get lack of institutional control after running off Tressel. I think that is a big reason why he was forced to resign. They will probably lose some scholarships, forfeit games from 2010, and get things like that though. IDK about a bowl ban for 2011/2012, haven't heard anything about that.

BTW it's time to get a new sig I guess since Pryor is no longer on the team. Had this one since Beanie left.

YAYareaRB 06-07-2011 08:37 PM

They need to give my Razorbacks the Sugar Bowl trophy back ;)

Complex 06-07-2011 09:34 PM

Give Miami their National Title back, Clarett got paid.

kwilk103 06-07-2011 09:34 PM

looks like he made 20-40k autographing memorbilia

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

diabsoule 06-07-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YAYareaRB (Post 2609174)
They need to give my Razorbacks the Sugar Bowl trophy back ;)

Bingo. I was crying foul the entire game and now it's come to light that Ohio State wanted to beat the SEC so bad that they did so at any price.

niel89 06-07-2011 10:29 PM

Good thing he promised to come back for his senior season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another player or two declare to the supplemental draft now. With all this info coming out and Tressel gone, its going to be hard to keep blackmailing these guys into coming back.

bullg8rdaddy 06-08-2011 01:36 AM

he did this in 2009 and 2010....so would they be vacating wins from both years?

CameronCropper 06-08-2011 05:25 AM

Not everyone is the perfect person in the world.

I mean, everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 06-08-2011 09:43 AM

At least he made all this money in college he wont make near as much in the NFL.

keylime_5 06-08-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy (Post 2609274)
he did this in 2009 and 2010....so would they be vacating wins from both years?

well the NCAA as we all know is about proving things happened, not having people say they happened. So Pryor's situation will only effect the school if they can prove stuff. Kinda like how they couldn't "prove" cam newton knew about getting shopped. that's how our beautiful system works apparently.

Sloopy 06-09-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2609187)
Bingo. I was crying foul the entire game and now it's come to light that Ohio State wanted to beat the SEC so bad that they did so at any price.

Kinda like how Auburn wanted a title so bad they bought players? which one do you think is worse? The SEC is apparently okay with buying players and then not suspending them when it comes to light and now they have a national title. All OSU got was a sugar bowl. How about when the Razorbacks themselves didn't self police Ryan Mallets cocaine use, or when they hired a coach who quit midseason on his team.

We get that your butt hurt but please don't try and act like the SEC is some form of moral high ground in the NCAA.

LonghornsLegend 06-09-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 2609635)
Kinda like how Auburn wanted a title so bad they bought players? which one do you think is worse? The SEC is apparently okay with buying players and then not suspending them when it comes to light and now they have a national title. All OSU got was a sugar bowl. How about when the Razorbacks themselves didn't self police Ryan Mallets cocaine use, or when they hired a coach who quit midseason on his team.

We get that your butt hurt but please don't try and act like the SEC is some form of moral high ground in the NCAA.

What does that have to do with NCAA infractions?

diabsoule 06-09-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 2609635)

I don't think the SEC is on some form of moral high ground. If anyone did it's the Big Ten when they cry foul of the SEC getting away with stuff. Everyone knows that college sports is tainted from the Big East to the Pac10 and everywhere in between. Was I bitching about the Cam Newton scandal? You damn right. Auburn should have been punished severely because there was some shady dealings going on that brought Newton to Auburn.

Who cares if Bobby Petrino quit on the Miami Dolphins mid-season? He wasn't cut out for the NFL just like Nick Saban wasn't cut out for it. Big deal. Ryan Mallet's cocaine usage should have been dealt with more severely. I completely agree.

The fact remains that those players on Ohio State that were found guilty were suspended NOT for the bowl game, but for 5 games next year. What kind of punishment is that? You still allow them to travel with the team, play in a non-regular season game then give them a chance to declare for the draft if they would have chosen so. As it is now, Pryor isn't coming back for his senior season and who knows which others will join him. What it looks like to me is that Ohio State wanted to beat an SEC team so badly that they allowed players, that otherwise would have and should have been suspended for that game, to play in order to increase their chances of victory on the field. That's why I was crying foul.

If this "Sign for luxuries" news didn't come out until AFTER the Sugar Bowl then no harm no foul. The fact that it came BEFORE the Sugar Bowl and Tressel and the university had plenty of time to suspend the players for the game smacks of them doing whatever it takes to help their chances of beating an SEC team.

And OSU got more than a Sugar Bowl out of this. They might have received a national championship if the allegations are true that Tressel had known about various infractions dating back to his time as a Buckeye assistant in the 1980s. He wasn't a clean coach when Ohio State hired him back in 2001. "As coach at Youngstown (Ohio) State in the mid-1990s, he claimed not to know that his star quarterback had received a car and more than $10,000 from a school trustee and his associates -- even though it was later established in court documents that Tressel had told the player to go see the trustee." That was taken straight from the Sports Illustrated article on the Tressel investigation.

The article continues to say: "In 2003, during Tressel's third season in Columbus, Buckeyes running back Maurice Clarett was found to have received money and other benefits. Even though Tressel said he spent more time with Clarett than with any other player, he also said he did not know that Clarett had been violating the rules. A year later an internal Ohio State investigation (later corroborated by the NCAA) found that quarterback Troy Smith had taken $500 from a booster. It was the second time the booster had been investigated for allegedly providing improper benefits to a star player, but again Tressel said he had no knowledge of the illicit payment."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html

I'm not butt hurt by any means. In fact, I agree with you about the punishment that should have been doled out by the SEC to Auburn and Ryan Mallet. The fact remains, though, that Ohio State is a world of butt hurt because of what Tressel did.