Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Edwin Mulitalo signs... (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4782)

Draft King 03-23-2007 09:55 PM

Edwin Mulitalo signs...

http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2...rms_on_th.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kowalski
Mulitalo agrees to terms on three-year deal with Lions
Posted by Tom Kowalski March 23, 2007 20:39PM

The Lions have reached an agreement with free agent guard Edwin Mulitalo on a three-year deal and an announcement will be made as soon as the documents are signed.

The addition of Mulitalo puts Damien Woody on even thinner ice. Woody, who lost more than 30 pounds and reported in good shape to the off-season workouts, has a cap number of $6 million for the 2007 season. The Lions could save $3 million in cap space this season if Woody is released after June 1.

The Lions are still hoping Woody will get his act togther and the combination of Mulitalo and a athletic and agile Woody would give the Lions some real strength on the interior of the offensive line. If the Lions like the way Woody is performing through the off-season workouts and training camp, don't be surprised if they go to him and try to restructure his deal to make his cap hit less brutal.

The Lions also signed free agent guard Zach Piller, who has starting experience in the league. The Lions now have a lot of depth at guard with Mulitalo, Woody, Piller, Barry Stokes and two young prospects Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman.

Mulitalo was a seven-year starter for the Baltimore Ravens before becoming a free agent in the off-season.

With the Lions... stolen from Tactica.

Scotty D 03-23-2007 10:03 PM

I like both signings. We needed better depth at guard. Id like an O line of

LT - Backus
LG - Woody
C - Raiola
RG - Mulitalo
RT - Foster/Scott

bearsfan_51 03-23-2007 10:07 PM

Well the Lions have been active if nothing else.

We brought his name up in the Bears thread but I question why he was cut in the first place.

It's not as if the Ravens line is a strong point so you wouldn't think they would cut guys that can still contribute.

TheChampIsHere 03-23-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 244480)

We brought his name up in the Bears thread but I question why he was cut in the first place.

It's not as if the Ravens line is a strong point so you wouldn't think they would cut guys that can still contribute.

theyve got some pretty good young player on the interior of their line and Mulitalo was declining and they saved some money with the move. I can see why they cut him and while its not a great signing for the Lions he can still contribute.

Big Mike 03-23-2007 10:21 PM

a good move

YouNeverKnow 03-24-2007 01:00 AM

Mule tore his tricep muscle around week 4 or something and was out for the year, which was a shame because he had come into camp in great shape. I think he played pretty good in the time that he was here this year but in 05-06 he and our entire line were pretty brutal.

I wonder if he will play LG or RG since he was a LG for as long as I can remember here, or how he will transition to the right side.

yourfavestoner 03-24-2007 01:01 AM

I dunno...he hasn't played at a consistently high level since Lewis' 2000 yard season. This seems to me like a classic case of a "name recognition" signing, where people think a player is much better than he really is simply because they recognize his name.

WMD 03-24-2007 06:03 AM

He'll be solid enough for us, for a few more years. No longer really 'need' an O-Lineman on Day One now.. we can focus pretty much all of Day One on Defense (MLB, DE, FS, CB).. The only offensive players I could see being drafted by the Lions on Day One are Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, or Drew Stanton... maybe Trent Edwards.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc 03-24-2007 07:02 AM

Damnit his great talent will be wasted in DET.

Ravens1991 03-24-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 244929)
I dunno...he hasn't played at a consistently high level since Lewis' 2000 yard season. This seems to me like a classic case of a "name recognition" signing, where people think a player is much better than he really is simply because they recognize his name.

He was playing very good until his tricep torn this season.

scottyboy 03-24-2007 09:44 AM

i think that O-line is pretty good. With it being pretty solid, does this mean the lions pass up on Joe Thomas? or do they get him for depth and youth to eventually takeover? interesting

Stash 03-24-2007 04:04 PM

LOL, you don't pick a LT at #2 overall in the draft for depth. Detroit would pretty much have to start Thomas right away if they drafted him or else they would have $30+ million riding the pine which would be extremely stupid.

dcarey20 03-26-2007 03:23 PM

you'll be missed big ed...good luck in detroit. he was one of the great guys on the ravens and a fan favorite. his play in 05-06 was terrible along with the rest of our oline, but up until he was hurt this year, he was playing well. while i hope he plays well with the lions, i'm actually expecting him to be quite average. his play has been really up and down and he has injury issues. people who haven't seen him play and just know him from being good on madden will think this is a great deal, but his future is somewhat uncertain and i'm not expecting him to do anything amazing in detroit.

TheChampIsHere 03-26-2007 05:52 PM

they also signed the OG from the Titans...does this mean Woody will be cut?

gbpackers0065 03-26-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere (Post 252645)
they also signed the OG from the Titans...does this mean Woody will be cut?

woody has lost a lot of weight and seems to be improving so if he does well enough in training camp he shud keep his job and piller wud be at risk to be cut

BigDawg819 03-26-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 244480)

Yeah a line that allowed only 17 sacks all year is quite pitiful. [/sarcasm]

Anyway the aforementioned injury combined with the emergence of Jason Brown and the need for some salary cap wiggle room equaled the end of Big Ed's reign in Baltimore. He was a great guy on and off the field and we all wish him the best of luck in Detroit!

jkpigskin 03-26-2007 06:59 PM

ed is an awesome guy... will miss him

ccB 03-26-2007 07:01 PM

Good luck Edwin, cant say a bad word about this guy. Business is business best of luck in Detroit.

BigDawg819 03-27-2007 11:57 AM

Interesting side note, according to the Lions website Ed has only agreed to terms but has not yet signed the deal.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document...ment_id=455877