Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Talent (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4785)

tEk 03-24-2007 12:01 AM

Talent

Here's the question. How long does a player have to perform before he wastes his talent? Can talent be wasted or do players have it for life and it takes the proper coaching to bring it out? Also do some guys just have "it" and can perform regardless of influences?

Scotty D 03-24-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tEk (Post 244669)
Here's the question. How long does a player have to perform before he wastes his talent? Can talent be wasted or do players have it for life and it takes the proper coaching to bring it out? Also do some guys just have "it" and can perform regardless of influences?

When people talk about wasted talent it usually refers to a player (usually a decent one) who plays on a team that is consistantly bad year in and year out.

tEk 03-24-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 244679)
When people talk about wasted talent it usually refers to a player (usually a decent one) who plays on a team that is consistantly bad year in and year out.

yea but also players like robert gallery for instance was through the roof with talent but has nothing to show.

princefielder28 03-24-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tEk (Post 244688)
yea but also players like robert gallery for instance was through the roof with talent but has nothing to show.

I would say within 3 years you know whether he'll get there or not

tEk 03-24-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tEk (Post 244688)

wow terrible grammar. i just read what i had typed. uggh!

princefielder28 03-24-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tEk (Post 244698)
wow terrible grammar. i just read what i had typed. uggh!

nobody's judging you

bearfan 03-24-2007 12:43 AM

I dont think of a waste of talent as someone who is on a bad team year in and out. I think of a waste of talent as someone who has the talent, just doesnt work hard enough, or is just stupid enough not to do anything with it.
Example:
Charles Rogers
Ricky Williams
David Terrell (WR)

Underachiever is the best word that comes to my mind when I think of a waste of talent. Ranting on, there is a kid, sophmore on our football team, he has all the talent in the world, could play DE or OLB and FB. Big guy, around 220, runs a good 40 time, great player, but doesnt work....at all. Lazy as can be, that kid wastes all the talent he has by not working at all.

255979119 03-24-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearfan (Post 244769)
I dont think of a waste of talent as someone who is on a bad team year in and out. I think of a waste of talent as someone who has the talent, just doesnt work hard enough, or is just stupid enough not to do anything with it.
Example:
Charles Rogers
Ricky Williams
David Terrell (WR)

Underachiever is the best word that comes to my mind when I think of a waste of talent. Ranting on, there is a kid, sophmore on our football team, he has all the talent in the world, could play DE or OLB and FB. Big guy, around 220, runs a good 40 time, great player, but doesnt work....at all. Lazy as can be, that kid wastes all the talent he has by not working at all.

Sounds a tad bit like me :-/

Caddy 03-24-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearfan (Post 244769)
Example:
Charles Rogers
Ricky Williams
David Terrell (WR)

Exactly how I view the term "waste of talent".

tEk 03-24-2007 01:06 PM

Ok what about guys like Trent Green or Rich Gannon? They accelerated later in their careers, did it take a great coach to bring that out? Just Luck?

Splat 03-24-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tEk (Post 245790)
Ok what about guys like Trent Green or Rich Gannon? They accelerated later in their careers, did it take a great coach to bring that out? Just Luck?

Priest Holmes as well I think it is right place right time plus some luck.

OhioState 03-24-2007 02:51 PM

how about randy moss? i think he is the absolue best example of a slacking underachieving waste of talent

255979119 03-24-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioState (Post 246104)
how about randy moss? i think he is the absolue best example of a slacking underachieving waste of talent

But he dominated for so many years....

When these people are suggesting wastes of talent they are centering around draft busts.

Schenkel23 03-24-2007 03:56 PM

If you mean a bust, I ususally wait three years. But you can tell when a guy is wasting his talent after one year in a case like Randy Moss.

CC.SD 03-24-2007 04:35 PM

The Leafster had all the talent in the world. Too bad he actually had his brain surgically replaced with a horse's ass. Case closed.

draftguru151 03-24-2007 04:42 PM

What about a guy like Thomas Jones who didn't come on until later in his career? I really don't think there is a set time to see if a guy is a bust or a waste of talent.

bearfan 03-24-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 246469)
What about a guy like Thomas Jones who didn't come on until later in his career? I really don't think there is a set time to see if a guy is a bust or a waste of talent.

I would say, that when a player has some untapped talent, that the right situation would/will/ and has brought it out in many cases. Also works vice versa

Splat 03-24-2007 06:23 PM

I think there is a difference between a draft bust and a waste of talent a draft bust doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL a waste of talent is a guy that has the talent but not the heart or want to.

Well that is my take disagree if you want.

ks_perfection 03-24-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schenkel23 (Post 246322)
If you mean a bust, I ususally wait three years. But you can tell when a guy is wasting his talent after one year in a case like Randy Moss.

Randy Moss thinks the opposite is true, that Oakland's offense is so awful that it doesn't allow him to show off his talent and his talent is wasted in Oakland.

Moses 03-24-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ks_perfection (Post 247046)
Randy Moss thinks the opposite is true, that Oakland's offense is so awful that it doesn't allow him to show off his talent and his talent is wasted in Oakland.

There is no doubt in my mind that playing in Oakland really hurt Moss' numbers. It's hard to produce on an offense that horrendous.

MP123 03-24-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 244691)
I would say within 3 years you know whether he'll get there or not

Exactly. And you have first hand experience of that with Ahmad Carroll. He played in Green Bay for 3 years and sucked badly. All he did was commit penalties.

Moses 03-24-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP123 (Post 247288)
Exactly. And you have first hand experience of that with Ahmad Carroll. He played in Green Bay for 3 years and sucked badly. All he did was commit penalties.

Poor Carroll. Such a great athlete but he just couldn't grasp the mental part of the game.

Staubach12 03-24-2007 10:57 PM

Talent can be wasted in so many ways. Roy Williams (WR) is a waste of talent, because the Lions are so bad year in and year out. Maurice Clarett is a waste of talent because he's a freakin criminal. Mike Vick (arguably) is a waste of talent because he's not used properly. Brodie Croyle is a waste of talent because he'll never be able to stay healthy. Jordan Palmer is a waste of talent because he'll never be able to make the right decisions on the field.

BigDawg819 03-25-2007 01:16 AM

Talent is like growth spurts, you don't know when they will come but sooner or later they do. When referring to draft busts such as Charles Rodgers or Ryan Leaf, they seemed to have reached the peak of their talent in college. Whereas Rich Gannon and Trent Green reached the peak of their talent later in their careers. Its like the kid who shoots up at the age of 12 and never gets taller as opposed to the kid who keeps growing until he's 19.

Moses 03-25-2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDawg819 (Post 248036)
Talent is like growth spurts, you don't know when they will come but sooner or later they do. When referring to draft busts such as Charles Rodgers or Ryan Leaf, they seemed to have reached the peak of their talent in college. Whereas Rich Gannon and Trent Green reached the peak of their talent later in their careers. Its like the kid who shoots up at the age of 12 and never gets taller as opposed to the kid who keeps growing until he's 19.

Charles Rogers was not a bust due to his talent. He was riddled with injuries and off-field problems.