Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   spring owners meeting (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4818)

Vince Lombardi 03-24-2007 03:35 PM

spring owners meeting

Thought this was kind of an interesting idea that they'll be discussing:

Quote:

Owners will consider a proposal that would allow one defensive player designated by the team to have a radio communication device inside his helmet. The device would permit the defensive coordinator to communicate with a key player in his huddle, in much the same manner coaches now communicate with the quarterback.
Possible changes to overtime could be interesting also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...t&lid=tab4pos1

yourfavestoner 03-24-2007 03:56 PM

I love the pass interference changes that the 49ers are proposing.

Schenkel23 03-24-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

It appears the league will alter the manner in which teams report injuries during the week. The standard designations with which everyone has become familiar -- "out," "questionable" or "doubtful" -- would be used only on Friday, not beginning on Wednesday each week. Until Friday, teams would identify if a player practiced during the week, and to what extent.
I'm liking that idea.

Vince Lombardi 03-24-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 246523)
I love the pass interference changes that the 49ers are proposing.

yea I do too. I've seen way too many good games get blown because of teams purposely just trying to get interference calls or refs making bad calls.

Bengals1690 03-24-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 246564)
yea I do too. I've seen way too many good games get blown because of teams purposely just trying to get interference calls or refs making bad calls.

but then the refs will make bad judgement calls, and people will still blame them. IMO, there are only 2 things that need to be changed: Roughing the Passer calls, and a better overtime thing.

Vince Lombardi 03-24-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals1690 (Post 246584)
but then the refs will make bad judgement calls, and people will still blame them. IMO, there are only 2 things that need to be changed: Roughing the Passer calls, and a better overtime thing.

They already make bad judgement calls. The problem now is that if they make one it's all or nothing. If a team throws a bomb and there's some incidental contact and a ref calls it it could end up penalizing a team 60+ yards and possibly costing them the game. If the ref makes that call with the proposed change he could decide it was only a 15 yard interference penalty, instead of a spot penalty.

Staubach12 03-24-2007 04:28 PM

Better overtime and roughing the passer would be my top priorities. The pass interfierence would take a second to that. All are very important needless to say (though I wouldn't suspect a change in the overtime rules this year).

Bengals1690 03-24-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 246628)
They already make bad judgement calls. The problem now is that if they make one it's all or nothing. If a team throws a bomb and there's some incidental contact and a ref calls it it could end up penalizing a team 60+ yards and possibly costing them the game. If the ref makes that call with the proposed change he could decide it was only a 15 yard interference penalty, instead of a spot penalty.

i understand that, but if a team is throwing a long pass (over 15), the DB could intentioanlly (sp?) foul to save a big pickup. Pass interference is a hard foul to call. IDK there are good spots in both ways.

myinnerself 03-24-2007 04:56 PM

The college overtime system is the best. In the NFL they could start from the 35 instead of the 25 and do the same system. The current Sudden Death system is terrible.

Vince Lombardi 03-24-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals1690 (Post 246668)
i understand that, but if a team is throwing a long pass (over 15), the DB could intentioanlly (sp?) foul to save a big pickup. Pass interference is a hard foul to call. IDK there are good spots in both ways.

You've got a valid point, but I think any intentional fouls would most likely be called as spot fouls. Regardless, either way there are gonna be messed up calls. I just think if there's a choice of 15 yards or spot it could minimalize the refs having an impact on the outcome of the game. I could be completely wrong though...

duckseason 03-24-2007 05:40 PM

So have they gotten around to discussing whether or not they'll institute the new rule where all QB's must wear a protective bubble lined with razor wire?

skinzzfan25 03-24-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals1690 (Post 246668)

That's what they taught me last year for football xD

If you get beat deep, just trip them cause it's only a 15 yard penalty :)

fenikz 03-24-2007 07:34 PM

and most the time when you trip em it looks as if your feet just got tangled and they dont call anything :)

princefielder28 03-24-2007 07:41 PM

I like that idea, give it to the MLB or Safety

yourfavestoner 03-24-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myinnerself (Post 246734)
The college overtime system is the best. In the NFL they could start from the 35 instead of the 25 and do the same system. The current Sudden Death system is terrible.

I hate college overtime. It isn't real football. It's a scrimmage where field position doesn't even matter.

Star Wideout 03-24-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 (Post 247118)
That's what they taught me last year for football xD

If you get beat deep, just trip them cause it's only a 15 yard penalty :)

If you were beat though how would you be in position to trip the receiver?

unless you mean when you realized they were in a better position to catch the ball.

also what is the exact date the owners meeting starts, don't think they said in that article?

Bengals1690 03-24-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 247172)
I hate college overtime. It isn't real football. It's a scrimmage where field position doesn't even matter.

college overtime is better than the NFL overtime, just because it gives both teams a chance. But in the NFL, they should at least kick it off.

yourfavestoner 03-24-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals1690 (Post 247178)
college overtime is better than the NFL overtime, just because it gives both teams a chance. But in the NFL, they should at least kick it off.

Meh...agree to disagree then. I just feel that if my team wasn't able to stop the opposing team when it really mattered, then they didn't deserve to win the game in the first place. That doesn't even take into account all the opportunities my team probably had during regulation to avoid overtime in the first place.

duckseason 03-24-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 247185)
Meh...agree to disagree then. I just feel that if my team wasn't able to stop the opposing team when it really mattered, then they didn't deserve to win the game in the first place. That doesn't even take into account all the opportunities my team probably had during regulation to avoid overtime in the first place.

The problem is that it isn't fair to say one team has to stop the other, without ever finding out whether the other team could make a stop. If your team deserves to lose because they couldn't make a stop, then so does your opponent. This is especially a problem in those 31-31 games where both offenses have been moving the ball at will all day. It's also pretty weak that the team only needs to get to the 35 yard line and kick a FG. Overtime is usually anti-climactic in the NFL. I'm not in favor of adopting the college format, but I think both teams should have to kick the ball off at least once. It would level the playing field, and make things much more interesting. The fact that the team to win the toss ends up winning the game 62% of the time is more than enough of a reason to change the format.

Vince Lombardi 03-24-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason (Post 247235)
The problem is that it isn't fair to say one team has to stop the other, without ever finding out whether the other team could make a stop. If your team deserves to lose because they couldn't make a stop, then so does your opponent. This is especially a problem in those 31-31 games where both offenses have been moving the ball at will all day. It's also pretty weak that the team only needs to get to the 35 yard line and kick a FG. Overtime is usually anti-climactic in the NFL. I'm not in favor of adopting the college format, but I think both teams should have to kick the ball off at least once. It would level the playing field, and make things much more interesting. The fact that the team to win the toss ends up winning the game 62% of the time is more than enough of a reason to change the format.

maybe they should keep OT the way it is but disallow field goals. First team to score a TD wins. Atleast that way they have to mount a real drive.

duckseason 03-24-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 247282)
maybe they should keep OT the way it is but disallow field goals. First team to score a TD wins. Atleast that way they have to mount a real drive.

I think that's a good compromise. I would actually be in favor of that.

WMD 03-24-2007 08:33 PM

Aren't they trying to make it so Spiking the Ball is a penalty?

THIZZorDIE 03-24-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 246824)
You've got a valid point, but I think any intentional fouls would most likely be called as spot fouls. Regardless, either way there are gonna be messed up calls. I just think if there's a choice of 15 yards or spot it could minimalize the refs having an impact on the outcome of the game. I could be completely wrong though...

Thats right, Its just about minimizing the impact of referees in the outcome of the game. I dont think it will pass, The leaggue will just tell them to stick with the patriot act.

draftguru151 03-24-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lions WMD (Post 247294)
Aren't they trying to make it so Spiking the Ball is a penalty?

Spiking it not in the end zone, which is still dumb to get rid of.

THIZZorDIE 03-24-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason (Post 247286)
I think that's a good compromise. I would actually be in favor of that.

I think that is a really good rule. There goes early turnovers turned into FG's.