Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Death of 2-way collegiate players (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48900)

shylo3716 10-04-2011 06:29 PM

Death of 2-way collegiate players

I know there are tons & tons of athletes on the field year in and year out who excel at multiple positions on the field, but I would like to know what happened to the 2-way players ala Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Chris Gamble type of guys who played both sides of the ball on a consistent basis.

Has it really died off that guys don't get utilized for their athletic abilities for both sides of the ball?

jrdrylie 10-04-2011 06:45 PM

Brandon Boykins from Georgia has been used (albeit very rarely) on offense this season.

shylo3716 10-04-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2701069)
Brandon Boykins from Georgia has been used (albeit very rarely) on offense this season.

Have not had the chance to see UGA so I was not aware, but are there anymore other guys?

JoeJoeBrown 10-04-2011 06:54 PM

Marecic (spelling?) for Stanford was a true two way player.

Chris Gamble was at OSU in 2002 and 2003.

shylo3716 10-04-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2701074)
Marecic (spelling?) for Stanford was a true two way player.

Chris Gamble was at OSU in 2002 and 2003.

I know Gamble was a 2-way player how can I ever forget about the "pass interference" on Glenn Sharpe SMH.

Gamble was excellent, but I'm wondering about this era.

OSUGiants17 10-04-2011 07:56 PM

As someone else said, Owen Marecic was Stanford's starting FB and LB this past year. 'Bout all I can think of. Surprised the crazy athletic and speedy CBs of some teams never get a shot in the wildcat

Brent 10-04-2011 08:37 PM

players are more and more specialized.

Ozzy 10-05-2011 03:22 PM

One could completely argue Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson were so rare as corners that they had to play offense because they were just simply that good. Maybe four years back or more one could make the case those two were easily the best corners in the NFL. Just like Deion Sanders, they were just that elite level athlete where if you did not play them on offense, you were an idiot.

Guys can still do it, but few are that good of athlete. And Gamble, well he did it because they had crap receiver depth on Ohio State, it was not so much he was such a great receiver, but they just need some depth there I feel.

Stephon Gilmore played two ways earlier in his career, but then that seemed to fade in time.

Tyrann Mathieu, one could argue could play offense but why, they already have tons of speed at talent at receiver, no reason to do that. Unlike those old Michigan and Georgia teams back in the day...

Branden Smith used to do both for a little bit on a few plays, but really he is not good enough of an athlete to be all that dangerous on offense.

So really it is all on what a team needs and just how elite athletically that player is, much less there conditioning level.

niel89 10-05-2011 04:14 PM

The only one in the past few years that I can think of is Owen Marecic. The guy is nuts too starting at ILB and FB. He was just a physical beast. Its not like he was some cb/wr who barely saw contact.

shylo3716 10-08-2011 06:14 PM

Branden Smith is seeing action on both sides of the ball tonight vs Tennessee

Da Big Harv 10-08-2011 06:26 PM

Nick Brassell OLE MISS

is gonna be a star. WR / CB big time playmaker as a true freshman from very talented high school in Mississippi

shylo3716 10-15-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Big Harv (Post 2704345)
Nick Brassell OLE MISS

is gonna be a star. WR / CB big time playmaker as a true freshman from very talented high school in Mississippi

I like his potential from what I am seeing for myself tonight vs Alabama

M.O.T.H. 10-15-2011 11:11 PM

Gilmore didnt play that much, though. He wasnt a true two way player...all of his offensive snaps have since gone to Bruce Ellington.

The next guy on Spurrier's list to play a little two way is Melvin Ingram. He wants him to play a little RB every now and then...which would be awesome. But he's been playing injured, so it's been pushed to the backburner. But if Lattimore is out for a long time, this would be a fun little gimmick.

Took years, but Spurrier finally has a nice stockpile of athletes. He's really opened up that playbook this year.

descendency 10-16-2011 05:16 AM

Darius Butler saw both sides of the field at UConn not so long ago.