Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Derek Carr, QB Fresno State (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48955)

Caulibflower 10-08-2011 03:32 PM

Derek Carr, QB Fresno State

Looking through box scores noticed a "D. Carr" was quarterbacking Fresno State, and sure enough, it's David's little brother. So did a little looking around... RS sophomore, in his first full season as a starter. Highly recruited, set a bunch of prep records, has good size, is a really good athlete... I've always thought of David Carr as a guy who could've been a good player if he hadn't gotten absolutely destroyed his first few years in the NFL. So Derek's got those athletic genes, he's got the advice and knowledge that comes from being in a football football family. I haven't seen many of his throws, but Youtube tells me he made Sportscenter's top 10 a few weeks ago for a diving TD run against Nebraska. (Fresno State bio says he set the QB 40 record with a 4.59)

Anybody follow Fresno State? Is he a guy to keep an eye on?

Hurricanes25 10-08-2011 03:58 PM

His "style" reminds me a lot of his brother.

Caulibflower 10-08-2011 04:17 PM

I thought so too, in the little I've seen. Not sure what that would mean, exactly, though.

Raiderz4Life 10-08-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calubflower (Post 2704274)
I thought so too, in the little I've seen. Not sure what that would mean, exactly, though.

Well Carr was a good college QB and a really good prospect. So in terms of collegiate play I don't think its a bad thing.

lod01 10-11-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 2704255)
His "style" reminds me a lot of his brother.

That's not a good thing.

tjsunstein 10-11-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 2709848)
That's not a good thing.

How is that not a good thing? Carr's 'style' in college was so highly regarded, he was picked first overall. I think those scouts would beg to differ with you. He was never developed well on an expansion team. Then he took a beating, and that will kill any QB's confidence, see Cutler.

lod01 10-11-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 2709863)
How is that not a good thing? Carr's 'style' in college was so highly regarded, he was picked first overall. I think those scouts would beg to differ with you. He was never developed well on an expansion team. Then he took a beating, and that will kill any QB's confidence, see Cutler.

No he was flat out horrible. It had nothing to do with being on an expansion team. When Kubiak arrived as head coach, Carr was in about his 5th or 6th year. Don't remember the exact thing that happened but, Kubiak said something along the lines of 'You've been in the league this long how can you not know that.? Like I said, don't remember what 'that' was, but it was NFL QB 101. THAT has nothing to do with his being on a expansion team and everything to do with him just sucking as an NFL QB. Which he did and still does...somehow cashing paychecks too.

Let me add that around that same time, he was still running out of bounds for losses = sacks, instead of throwing the ball away. Thats how bad he sucked. He couldn't grasp that simple QB skill.

How about this one. My favorite. Gus Johnson announcing. 'Carr......Carr......Carr.....' (all the while guys runnning free in the open field including one guy 10 yards in front of him on a crossing route. Wide open. Sack. Gus just screaming, "you have to throw the ball'.

Everyone was blamed for his suckage except him. OL, WR's, coaching. RB. Finally they figured it out.

shylo3716 10-11-2011 07:44 PM

Will he be "penalized" by scouts for being little Carr?

lod01 10-15-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2709881)
Will he be "penalized" by scouts for being little Carr?

I wouldn't say penalized but they will definately look at the things Carr did wrong consistently and see if this Carr does the same. Read this the other day that Jim Harbaugh had a low grade on David Carr coming out. Somehow he is working incredible magic with Alex Smith so he seems to have a QB eye.

Matthew Jones 10-15-2011 12:45 PM

I watched some of the Boise St. game last week but things were getting pretty ugly. Based on that game, I wouldn't say he made a good impression at all, but his team was clearly outclassed as well.

soybean 11-25-2012 01:29 AM

Well he just concluded his Junior Season with

3290 yards on 66 percent passing.

32 TDs and 5 INTs.

Any shot at the next level?

TACKLE 11-25-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 3191193)
Well he just concluded his Junior Season with

3290 yards on 66 percent passing.

32 TDs and 5 INTs.

Any shot at the next level?

Yes but next year. He announced that he'll be returning for his senior year.

Caulibflower 11-25-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 2709872)
Don't remember the exact thing that happened but, Kubiak said something along the lines of 'You've been in the league this long how can you not know that.? Like I said, don't remember what 'that' was, but it was NFL QB 101. THAT has nothing to do with his being on a expansion team and everything to do with him just sucking as an NFL QB.

No, that's exactly the hallmark of bad teaching.

Caulibflower 11-25-2012 02:57 AM

Just watched him vs Oregon. He's not very good. My inner GM isn't interested.

Chucktown_Lurker 12-03-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3191212)
Just watched him vs Oregon. He's not very good. My inner GM isn't interested.

I'm wondering if this thought remains now that the season is over...

norcalgsr 12-03-2012 07:45 PM

Here is the Boise State game in case no one has not seen it:

norcalgsr 12-03-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucktown_Lurker (Post 3199768)
I'm wondering if this thought remains now that the season is over...

One bowl game left.

But overall Carr has a great arm with poor footwork. Falls and spins away from pressure on his throws too much.

lod01 12-10-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalgsr (Post 3200195)
One bowl game left.

But overall Carr has a great arm with poor footwork. Falls and spins away from pressure on his throws too much.

Does he run out of bounds for losses, (instead of throwing the ball away), like his cowardly big brother, too?

Cigaro 12-10-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 2709872)
No he was flat out horrible. It had nothing to do with being on an expansion team. When Kubiak arrived as head coach, Carr was in about his 5th or 6th year. Don't remember the exact thing that happened but, Kubiak said something along the lines of 'You've been in the league this long how can you not know that.? Like I said, don't remember what 'that' was, but it was NFL QB 101. THAT has nothing to do with his being on a expansion team and everything to do with him just sucking as an NFL QB. Which he did and still does...somehow cashing paychecks too.

Like CaulibFlower pointed out, that is the textbook definition of not being developed and coached well. You literally made his point with that quote.

YAYareaRB 12-11-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3207329)
Like CaulibFlower pointed out, that is the textbook definition of not being developed and coached well. You literally made his point with that quote.

Oh you guys didn't know? Quarterbacks are born with NFL QB 101 knowledge. Either that or they teach themselves because every coach is a great QB mentor and developer. Doyyy!!!

jrdrylie 12-21-2013 06:08 PM

I wasn't too impressed with Carr today. He was under pressure a lot today but I thought he missed some throws, especially deep balls.

lod01 12-21-2013 06:39 PM

Dude is garbage.

Definitely David Carr II.

lod01 12-21-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YAYareaRB (Post 3208982)
Oh you guys didn't know? Quarterbacks are born with NFL QB 101 knowledge. Either that or they teach themselves because every coach is a great QB mentor and developer. Doyyy!!!

Well, years after he was drafted, he was still running out of bounds with the football behind the LOS. He couldn't grasp the basic 101 QB of 'throw it away'.

coach4fu 12-21-2013 08:32 PM

David will be fine...outstanding prospect who needs to work on his footwork. Basing him on today's game is ridiculous. Missing one of his stud receivers and his line was clearly overmatched. Offensive Coordinator was off as well it appeared.

twiz 12-21-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 3524835)
Dude is garbage.

Definitely David Carr II.

Insightful.