Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Theisman booted, replaced with Jaws (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4922)

Non_Sequitur 03-26-2007 05:35 AM

Theisman booted, replaced with Jaws

Quote:

After one season as the lead analyst for “Monday Night Football” on ESPN, Joe Theismann will be dismissed and replaced by Ron Jaworski, the network is scheduled to announce today. Theismann is expected to be offered another job at the network.

He had also been ESPN’s analyst on “Sunday Night Football” from 1988 to 2005.

Replacing Theismann with Jaworski, who is known for his ESPN studio work but not for booth analysis, means exchanging one former quarterback with another. Jaworski, 56, played for the Eagles, and Theismann, 57, played for the Redskins.

It the second change for ESPN’s on-air crew since it acquired the rights to “Monday Night.” At first, Al Michaels was to be the play-by-play announcer, but he was released from his contract before he called a game in order to join NBC. Mike Tirico then replaced Michaels, and he joined Tony Kornheiser, the Washington Post columnist and co-host of ESPN’s “Pardon the Interruption,” and Theismann.

Although the first season of “Monday Night” on ESPN was its least viewed ever after 36 seasons on ABC — falling by more than four million a game — it was an unqualified success as a cable series, increasing ESPN’s viewership by 41 percent over the audience for “Sunday Night Football” in 2005.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/sp...theismann.html

The Unseen 03-26-2007 05:38 AM

Ooooohhhh yeah baby!

Beans 03-26-2007 05:48 AM

Uh-oh. Jaws and Tony? This should be interesting.

21ST 03-26-2007 06:24 AM

Thank you jesus

TNewFan41 03-26-2007 06:39 AM

ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter. Just don't listen to the announcers. All they say is "whoever scores the most points should win this game", and other crap like that. They are no experts.

eaglesalltheway 03-26-2007 06:42 AM

We get it TNew, you hate ESPN. You don't need to be repeating trhis any time somone brings it up. That said, YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS, Jaws will make MNF much more interesting.

bored of education 03-26-2007 07:06 AM

Jaws is the best analyst with ESPN. I like this move

Splat 03-26-2007 08:44 AM

Upgrade for sure.

Vince Lombardi 03-26-2007 09:08 AM

sweet! first Irvin, now Theisman, this is great news! :)

Geo 03-26-2007 09:51 AM

Best news of the year.

Although I still dream of the day when I'll have the option of listening to just the game itself and the crowd. Screw anyone or anything else, that's all I want to hear.

Edit: Unless it's Kirk Herbstreit, the best analyst in sports, or Bill Parcells, who I love listening to.

portermvp84 03-26-2007 09:51 AM

I like Joe, they should get rid of Tony I hate him with the passion.

The Dynasty 03-26-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 251447)
sweet! first Irvin, now Theisman, this is great news! :)

Yes it is a good day. Im not a big fan of Jaws but i like him more than Theisman. Id rather see them put up Steve Young.

Bengals1690 03-26-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNewFan41 (Post 251363)
ESPN sucks so it doesn't matter. Just don't listen to the announcers. All they say is "whoever scores the most points should win this game", and other crap like that. They are no experts.

well they are right arent they? Whoever scores the most SHOULD win the game. Jaws will provide all the smarts, Tony will provide all the funniness, and Tirico has the play by play. It beats the hell outta listening to Madden saying "You see that block right there? Thats what you call a decleater. He just came up, and BOOM! knocked him right outta his cleats." And having to put up with al micheal's lame jokes. I really like this group on ESPN.

Geo 03-26-2007 10:26 AM

Mike Tirico and Steve Young would be the hotness. Maybe Kornheiser should get the boot also, keep it a 2-man operation like Tirico and Herbstreit on Thursday Night College Football (which was the best imo). Or perhaps bring in a former defensive player: Eric Allen is under contract with ESPN, and I always enjoy listening to him.

alexschnarr 03-26-2007 10:46 AM

is it just me or do jaws and mortenson look like the same people, plus i hate jaws' glasses, and Geo your right steve young is the current hotness

The Unseen 03-26-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 251550)
Mike Tirico and Steve Young would be the hotness. Maybe Kornheiser should get the boot also, keep it a 2-man operation like Tirico and Herbstreit on Thursday Night College Football (which was the best imo). Or perhaps bring in a former defensive player: Eric Allen is under contract with ESPN, and I always enjoy listening to him.

What?!?!?! I hate Steve Young as an analyst. He stutters, is incoherent, and brings nothing to the table.

yourfavestoner 03-26-2007 10:52 AM

Words cannot describe my happiness right now.

Geo 03-26-2007 10:54 AM

ESPN Radio confirms Jaws as the new addition to the cast, and I can't say I'm disappointed (especially considering how bad MNF has been for years). Jaws clearly knows what he's talking about, he watches the film every week, and speaks in a clear manner. Good move imo.

Plus, he's so ridiculously pro-Eagles, it's a riot. He's made picking the Eagles out of the ether an artform, go Jaws.

(That said, if ESPN were to replace Kornheiser for Dick Vermeil, that could do wonders. Jaws and Vermeil were dancing and jabbing when they worked on pre-season games together.)

Ward 03-26-2007 11:19 AM

The formula I'd like to see is this: Former player who still has connections with many current players and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, Former coach who has connections with coaches and GMs and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from an X's and O's perspective, and a non-athlete not necessarily an ESPN guy either with a sense of humor who can be the glue between coach and player.

Are my expectations too high?

yourfavestoner 03-26-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward (Post 251631)
The formula I'd like to see is this: Former player who still has connections with many current players and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from a player's perspective, Former coach who has connections with coaches and GMs and can offer insight based on that as well as knowledge of the game from an X's and O's perspective, and a non-athlete not necessarily an ESPN guy either with a sense of humor who can be the glue between coach and player.

Are my expectations too high?

Not at all, and that would be a perfect lineup. The only problem that I have with a lot of former players who become analysts is that they become apologists and let that get in the way of giving true, unbiased analysis.

Personally, I'd love to see Schlereth get more airtime, as I think he's one of the best analysts ESPN has. Plus, he actually get around to talking about what is going on in the trenches, something more analysts need to do.

GiantRutgersFan 03-26-2007 11:43 AM

Well now the Giants and Eli Manning can get bashed even when they are on MNF, instead of just having Joe Buck bash em every Sunday afternoon.

And yea Sclareth is the best on NFL live.

Geo 03-26-2007 11:43 AM

I'm not crazy about Schlereth, truth be told. I hear him talk, and rarely if ever think "Wow, he really said something. Glad I heard it."

Now Eric Allen, that's a different story all together. I always enjoy listening to him.

yourfavestoner 03-26-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 251680)
I'm not crazy about Schlereth, truth be told. I hear him talk, and rarely if ever think "Wow, he really said something. Glad I heard it."

Now Eric Allen, that's a different story all together. I always enjoy listening to him.

Heh...maybe I just need to raise my standards for analysts then. The quality of commentators and analysts is so bad these days, that a "good" one, to me, is one that doesn't constantly say stupid ****.

Geo 03-26-2007 11:53 AM

I'm just about sick and tired of the announcing crews that currently litter the landscape as well. Like I said earlier, if I could just listen to the action on the field and the crowd in the stands, in full glory, I gladly would.

I don't need some guy telling me who did what, it's a television not a damn radio. I can see it for myself. Just let me enjoy the game.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 03-26-2007 11:56 AM

Jaws called the Saints preseason games a few years ago with Archie Manning, and I enjoyed the hell out of his announcing. Theismann was the most annoying guy on the MNF crew, and considering that the crew also included Tony F'N Kornheiser, that's saying something. Great move.