Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Giants sign Kawika Mitchell (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4964)

Number 10 03-26-2007 04:01 PM

Giants sign Kawika Mitchell

Formerly of the Chiefs to a monstrous 1 year-$1 million deal.

Solid signing that was very economically smart as he could play either SAM or WILL depending on what happens in the draft. Fiery, hard hitting, sure tackling LB that can run a bit, exactly what we needed.

Splat 03-26-2007 04:17 PM

Far cry from the 5 year 25 million he wanted from the Chiefs but nice move by NY I would not say sure tackler good but he does wiff at times.

Number 10 03-26-2007 04:18 PM

I think the Saints and Lions had him in for visits, wonder why he didn't get signed there, not like he was demanding any big salary.

Splat 03-26-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 (Post 252315)
not like he was demanding any big salary.

Ya he was that is way he was a FA so long he screwed his self.

Xiomera 03-26-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 (Post 252315)
I think the Saints and Lions had him in for visits, wonder why he didn't get signed there, not like he was demanding any big salary.

Makes no sense to me. Especially considering Detroit's need for a MLB.

Hell, why not go crazy, Matt Millen, and sign him to a one year, 1.5 million dollar deal? You're just crazy enought to do it! :eek: :eek:

Splat 03-26-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 252321)

Hell, why not go crazy, Matt Millen, and sign him to a one year, 1.5 million dollar deal? You're just crazy enought to do it! :eek: :eek:

He doesn't fit in the cover two.

Caddy 03-26-2007 04:24 PM

Great deal for the G-Men. Picking up a solid starter on the cheap is a great move..

Xiomera 03-26-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat420 (Post 252335)
He doesn't fit in the cover two.

Neither does anyone we have now.

A lot of people thought we'd sign him. They must have had some belief that he could fit in it.

Number 10 03-26-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 252348)
Neither does anyone we have now.

A lot of people thought we'd sign him. They must have had some belief that he could fit in it.

By "fit in it"....what exactly do you mean? He played pretty well in the Cover 2 last year and while he may not be Brian Urlacher or Derrick Brooks on coverage, he still got the job done for the most part. He is the kind of player that won't make any pro bowls no matter the scheme, but he will play well enough for your defense to win games. Plain and simple. Cover 2 may not be his best scheme but I don't see him as being one dimensional.

Splat 03-26-2007 04:32 PM

How many Chiefs games did you watch last year?

bigbluedefense 03-26-2007 04:35 PM

Im approaching this signing like this:

He's another body.

Im not gonna put the fate of the team in his hands. He's just another body for depth purposes. If he's more, then great, but Im not counting on it.

He can compete with Torbor for SAM until Kiwi is ready for his hybrid role. May the best man win.

Number 10 03-26-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat420 (Post 252364)
How many Chiefs games did you watch last year?

Me?

Off the top of my head...probably 4 in entirety and bits and pieces of others. Most notably impressed with him in the playoff game.

PACKmanN 03-26-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 252321)

there alot of reasons why he might have signed with the Gaints for cheap money, maybe he thinks that the Gaints have a better shoot at making the playoffs this year and if they do he can get more money next year.

etk 03-26-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACKmanN (Post 252603)
there alot of reasons why he might have signed with the Gaints for cheap money, maybe he thinks that the Gaints have a better shoot at making the playoffs this year and if they do he can get more money next year.

After the offseason they've had I think the Giants have less of a chance than Detroit. Look at the difference in division strength too.....

Number 10 03-26-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 252760)
After the offseason they've had I think the Giants have less of a chance than Detroit. Look at the difference in division strength too.....

Woh now let's not get out of hand here. I don't have the Giants in my 2007 predictions as of right now, but the Lions have a much tougher road ahead of them. You may think the Giants have had a rough offseason, which could be disputed, but don't put them down on the Lions level.

bored of education 03-26-2007 06:53 PM

He is an ok signing.

GiantRutgersFan 03-26-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 252760)

Gotta love the haters. gotta love it.

Giants have a much easier schedule next year, and if the running attack holds up, the Giants should be a playoff team.

diabsoule 03-26-2007 11:26 PM

Good signing. I was hoping the Saints would sign him.

Basileus777 03-26-2007 11:46 PM

Good deal for the Giants. Mitchell isn't anything special, he is poor in coverage, a poor blitzer, tends to over-pursue, and whiffs on alot of open field tackles. His value on the open market should tell you what to expect from him, not much. But at that price he is a steal. It will be interesting to see how he does at OLB though.

cunningham06 03-26-2007 11:57 PM

Solid signing, he's not a bad player, and they got him cheap, not bad.

LarryJohnson27 03-27-2007 12:29 AM

This is a solid signing. He came fairly cheap, he's a much better fit in the Giants D then in the Tampa 2, and he will no longer have the responsibilities of a MLB. He's a solid leader also. As for the negatives, he's not the greatest in coverage, will continuously run right past the QB on the blitz, and misses some tackles.

locseti 03-27-2007 01:18 AM

good signing, he's a solid player that can make some plays and provide a spark. At least he will probably play in more games than Arrington. I think that's why it was a cheap one yr deal, the G men didnt want to get burned again

toonsterwu 03-27-2007 04:54 AM

Good value signing that allows the Giants some flexibility, without being tied down long term. As noted by others, I don't think Kawika is anything great, but he is a body, and a decent body at that. Doesn't remove LB from the early goings in the draft, but it may allow them to not have to reach for a LB, and that's always nice.

eacantdraft 03-27-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan (Post 253735)
Gotta love the haters. gotta love it.

Giants have a much easier schedule next year, and if the running attack holds up, the Giants should be a playoff team.

You know the Giants schedule for 2008?

For 2007, the Giants schedule is not that easy. They have to play the AFC East which is improved and oh yeah, there is that regular season trip to London.

portermvp84 03-27-2007 09:29 AM

Good signing not bad in KC.