Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How Long Before People Start Comparing RGIII to Ande Ware? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49963)

FUNBUNCHER 12-08-2011 10:58 AM

How Long Before People Start Comparing RGIII to Ande Ware?

Just saw it randomly on another board. Prolific spread QB. Athletic but not run first quarterback. Solid arm. Good intangibles, although apparently Ware didn't display the work ethic to be successful in the pros. And Ware was an epic bust.

DraftSavant 12-08-2011 11:01 AM

I'm almost to the point where I think you have to have a massively uncoachable flaw to not succeed as an NFL QB these days.

Shane P. Hallam 12-08-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftSavant (Post 2780315)
I'm almost to the point where I think you have to have a massively uncoachable flaw to not succeed as an NFL QB these days.

Huh? We can't even get 20 successful NFL Qbs, let alone 32. It is rare to succeed at QB over the long haul.

PossibleCabbage 12-08-2011 11:22 AM

I think in creating a thread with the title "How long before people start comparing RGIII to Andre Ware?" you have compared them, albeit indirectly, by implying that they are comparable.

So, no time at all.

DraftSavant 12-08-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 2780332)
Huh? We can't even get 20 successful NFL Qbs, let alone 32. It is rare to succeed at QB over the long haul.

There's not 32 guys without massively uncoachable flaws in every draft class. The league has been pretty damn good at hitting on its first round QBs in recent years, though.

JHL6719 12-08-2011 11:35 AM

I've heard the Shaun King comparison and I think it's awful close.

D-Unit 12-08-2011 12:16 PM

I think you're the first and last Funbunchy. :D

Menardo75 12-08-2011 12:21 PM

QB is a crapshoot no matter what the situation is.

PossibleCabbage 12-08-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 2780414)
QB is a crapshoot no matter what the situation is.

Actually, I disagree. I think that the most important thing is that the QB is a good match for the situation he lands in. There's no catch-all "best case scenario" that will turn any QB into a success, but almost all of the guys who have the tools could have become successful QBs if the system, coaching, and supporting cast were what they needed to be. Generally, they are not.

Menardo75 12-08-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 2780461)
Actually, I disagree. I think that the most important thing is that the QB is a good match for the situation he lands in. There's no catch-all "best case scenario" that will turn any QB into a success, but almost all of the guys who have the tools could have become successful QBs if the system, coaching, and supporting cast were what they needed to be. Generally, they are not.

And you basically just described the crapshoot. There are so many more variables to the QB position than any other that even if it is the right system with the right coaches, things still have a good chance of not working out. He can't handle the pressure put on him, the media etc.

PossibleCabbage 12-08-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 2780491)
And you basically just described the crapshoot. There are so many more variables to the QB position than any other that even if it is the right system with the right coaches, things still have a good chance of not working out. He can't handle the pressure put on him, the media etc.

Well, as far as we're concerned? Absolutely a crapshoot.

But as far as the teams actually making the evaluations are concerned, they have much more information on their coaches, their timetable, their ability to develop a QB, and their ability to shelter a QB while they develop him than anybody else does. If a team is unreasonable about their ability to develop a player who really needs some time, it's a failure by that team to realize it.

MassNole 12-08-2011 02:23 PM

I think he has a better future as an Athlete than as a QB in the NFL.

PossibleCabbage 12-08-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 2780609)
I think he has a better future as an Athlete than as a QB in the NFL.

As a pure QB prospect, I like Griffin more than I liked Cam Newton, Josh Freeman, or Tebow.

imraged 12-08-2011 03:36 PM

From a skill-set standpoint I think RGIII compares best to Aaron Rodgers.

Doubt he'll ever be as good as Rodgers though (very few will be).

lod01 12-08-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imraged (Post 2780702)
From a skill-set standpoint I think RGIII compares best to Aaron Rodgers.

Doubt he'll ever be as good as Rodgers though (very few will be).

Whatcha drinking these days? Or is it drugs?

Iamcanadian 12-08-2011 06:21 PM

It seems to me that mental toughness including the strength to work hard at your profession is one of the main causes for QB failure in this league. It certainly held true for Leaf and Russell.
As for RG111, he has excellent intangibles and appears to be mentally tough to me. His arm is above average so I can see no way that he can flop and it won't come as a shock to me if he goes #2 in the draft ahead of Barkley. I guess the chronic complainers about QB's cannot get any support on Luck, so they feel bound to attack RG111 and Barkley

ericzedwards 12-08-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lod01 (Post 2780894)
Whatcha drinking these days? Or is it drugs?

Think back to how Rogers was evaluated when he was coming out, rather than what he obviously is now, and the comparison won't seem quite so far off.

Phins827 12-09-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericzedwards (Post 2780928)
Think back to how Rogers was evaluated when he was coming out, rather than what he obviously is now, and the comparison won't seem quite so far off.

agreed. I have watched quite abit of Baylor, and I see alot of Rodgers in Griffin's game

onejayhawk 12-09-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2780307)
Just saw it randomly on another board. Prolific spread QB. Athletic but not run first quarterback. Solid arm. Good intangibles, although apparently Ware didn't display the work ethic to be successful in the pros. And Ware was an epic bust.

Why not Warren Moon?

J

batsandgats 12-15-2011 02:06 AM

Jeff Blake, their deep pass looks similar