Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jarvis Jones a Lock 1st Round Pick? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49973)

Ozzy 12-08-2011 08:58 PM

Jarvis Jones a Lock 1st Round Pick?

6-3 240 pound redshirt sophomore outside linebacker for Georgia:

Is he a lock to be a 1st round pick in the 2012 draft if he comes out? I think so, he is just as good as Courtney Upshaw as a 3/4 OLB and is far better in coverage.

A hell of a pass rusher, has 13.5 sacks on the year for Georgia. This USC transfer just ripped it up this year, and just like Bruce Irvin who got a lot of hype last year for his pass rushing skills. Unlike Irvin, Jarvis Jones is actually legit and holds up under physical contact and can get off blocks. Great athlete, gets good push consistently in pass rush situations, can really run and be effective in any defense he plays it.

Outstanding prospect who should beat out he likes of Vinny Curry, Audie Cole, Bruce Irvin and maybe even Brandon Jenkins as the 2nd 3/4 OLB drafted along behind Upshaw.

TACKLE 12-08-2011 09:02 PM

Although it wouldn't be the first time someone changed their minds, he's said on more than one occasion that he intends to comeback as a junior. Despite his sack numbers, I still think his game translates better to the 4-3 in the pros - maybe in a Von Miller type roll if that starts to become something that is more popular.

ElectricEye 12-08-2011 10:57 PM

Hell yes. I like him a ton more than I like Upshaw, even. I don't know how he doesn't end up as the top rush backer on the board if he comes out and the injury history checks out.

Iamcanadian 12-08-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2781198)
Hell yes. I like him a ton more than I like Upshaw, even. I don't know how he doesn't end up as the top rush backer on the board if he comes out and the injury history checks out.

I still like Upshaw as a 4-3 DE. He is stout against the run and is a natural bender around the OT when rushing the passer. As an OLB in a 3-4, he may not be the pass rusher Jones is but he will be close and his ability against the run still makes him a very solid prospect who will likely get picked before Jarvis, although it could be close.

Scott Wright 12-08-2011 11:21 PM

Very intriguing prospect, but not a first round lock. Definite Top 100 type of talent though.

DraftSavant 12-08-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 2781003)
Although it wouldn't be the first time someone changed their minds, he's said on more than one occasion that he intends to comeback as a junior. Despite his sack numbers, I still think his game translates better to the 4-3 in the pros - maybe in a Von Miller type roll if that starts to become something that is more popular.

I have sincerely missed this type of player.

keylime_5 12-09-2011 12:01 AM

I think he should stay another year and be a first round pick for sure in 2013. Definitely the SEC's best pass rusher this year.

rawdawg 12-09-2011 01:20 PM

I don't know that Jones comes out this year, but if he does, I think he has a decent chance to sneak into the end of the 1st round. If he runs as well as I think he will, he's the type of prospect that teams could go ga-ga over. At the end of the 1st round, there's going to be some really good teams that don't have a lot of holes and can afford to take the chance on a raw, but talented player. Pittsburgh, New England with 2 picks, Green Bay, or Baltimore could fall in love with his talent and take him late 1.

FWIW, I think Jones can play inside or out in the 3-4, along with OLB/DE on pass downs in the 4-3

Shane P. Hallam 12-09-2011 01:29 PM

Jarvis Jones has already said he is staying in school.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia/...nly-get-better

Complex 12-09-2011 01:35 PM

What if mark Richt leaves for Texas A&M?

TailbackU 12-09-2011 01:43 PM

The only reason he's even at Georgia is because the USC medical staff refused to medically clear him to ever play football again. That has to be a pretty big red flag. He has to check out medically, if he wants to be a 1st round pick.

Even if its not a career threatening condition like the USC medical staff felt, it MAY well be a career-shortening one (something like spinal stenosis like Marcus McNeal) that leads to his stock dropping some. Hopefully it isn't anything too serious. Jarvis is a great kid and I'm sure I speak for all SC fans when I say I hope he goes on to have a long and successful NFL career.