Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Kendall Wright Comparison? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50113)

JohnCandy 12-15-2011 12:03 PM

Kendall Wright Comparison?

The top ranked WRs in this draft seem to all be big and most have question marks.

Justin Blackmon [6'1" 210lbs] Spread Production/Routes
Michael Floyd [6'3" 225lbs.] Injuries and DUI
Alshon Jeffery [6'4" 232lbs.] Conditioning/Speed

What are people's opinions of Kendall Wright?

Who would you compare him too?

BRAVEHEART 12-15-2011 12:07 PM

Poor man's steve smith.

DraftSavant 12-15-2011 12:10 PM

Randall Cobb.

FUNBUNCHER 12-15-2011 12:12 PM

Younger Santana Moss.

DraftSavant 12-15-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2789801)
Younger Santana Moss.

Oooh, I kinda like that one.

keylime_5 12-15-2011 12:28 PM

he's small and fast and a playmaker. gonna be a lot of steve smith, santonio holmes, santanna moss comparisons. I like the Steve Smith comparison a lot. Strong, compact, blazing speed and is pretty much the only real playmaker on his team's receiving corps yet still puts up ridiculous big play numbers.

ShutDwn 12-15-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2789806)
he's small and fast and a playmaker. gonna be a lot of steve smith, santonio holmes, santanna moss comparisons. I like the Steve Smith comparison a lot. Strong, compact, blazing speed and is pretty much the only real playmaker on his team's receiving corps yet still puts up ridiculous big play numbers.

Normally I hate when receivers are compared to Smith simply due to they're size and speed and ignore how physical Smith is with the ball. Wright does actually show a good deal of break tackle ability and lays out for balls the same way as Steve Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than Floyd and I would choose him over Alshon.

JohnCandy 12-15-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 2789820)
Normally I hate when receivers are compared to Smith simply due to they're size and speed and ignore how physical Smith is with the ball. Wright does actually show a good deal of break tackle ability and lays out for balls the same way as Steve Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than Floyd and I would choose him over Alshon.

What about Mike Wallace? The speed is there and the ability to shake loose deep.

RaiderNation 12-15-2011 01:50 PM

I've been comparing him to the likes of Mike Wallace of the Steelers, even though Wallace has a solid 2 inches on him. Both are real deep threats down the field and also run good enough routes to contribute in shorter passes. I think Wright has a chance to go in the 25-32 area in the draft, maybe a team like New England who needs to another impact WR takes him with 1 of their 2 1sts.

Rashaan Salaam 12-15-2011 02:00 PM

Devery Henderson with Better Hands

gpngc 12-15-2011 02:01 PM

Always Steve Smith. Not only that, I picture him in Carolina blue ALWAYS for some reason. Catching bombs from Newton. 3rd round?

Shane P. Hallam 12-15-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2789890)
Always Steve Smith. Not only that, I picture him in Carolina blue ALWAYS for some reason. Catching bombs from Newton. 3rd round?

Try first round...

Big Bird 12-15-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2789890)

If he gets out of the Top 50 picks, I'll be shocked.

He is a lot like Titus Young last year, who I compared to Santonio Holmes. Explosive, blazing fast, better route runners than given credit for, mainly due to their quickness in and out of breaks.

Shane P. Hallam 12-15-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bird (Post 2789912)
If he gets out of the Top 50 picks, I'll be shocked.

He is a lot like Titus Young last year, who I compared to Santonio Holmes. Explosive, blazing fast, better route runners than given credit for, mainly due to their quickness in and out of breaks.

Yup, I can see early 2nd, but if a team wants a WR late first, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the trigger.

gpngc 12-15-2011 02:16 PM

Eh, Randall Cobb fell to that range when he clearly shouldn't have.

Teams generally don't like smaller receivers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 2nd. 1st round, maybe, but I doubt it.

keylime_5 12-15-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDwn (Post 2789820)

I would choose a LOT of guys over Alshon. He really nosedived this year.

bruschis4all 12-15-2011 02:30 PM

Terry Glenn. Google one of Glenn's bombs from Bledsoe. Super Bowl against GB or td against Steelers. Wright is nearly the same size and smoothly gets to top speed just as Glenn did. Even runs with the same gate. Hopefully, he's not as big a wimp as Glenn.

Flyboy 12-15-2011 02:30 PM

I honestly see DeSean Jackson when I watch him play..

onejayhawk 12-15-2011 02:41 PM

Chris Collingsworth.

J

SchizophrenicBatman 12-15-2011 03:00 PM

I like the Terry Glenn comp a lot.

I'll let you guys know when a small WR compares to Steve Smith. I've seen small WRs linked to him every year and it's never a good match. That doesn't stop them from being great players - look at Desean Jackson when he isn't being an idiot/moping - but the series of attributes that make Steve Smith who he is simply aren't likely to show up very often

ElectricEye 12-15-2011 03:24 PM

I've never bought the Steve Smith stuff. Very few players at that size have the ability to not let it be a limitation for them. Wright isn't one of those players. Santana Moss isn't a bad name, although Moss was a little bit more solid and faster.

TACKLE 12-15-2011 03:28 PM

I really like him and he easily see him going in the top 20-25. His speed is going to separate him from the other top WR's in this draft and adding a legitimate deep threat could intrigue some teams earlier than some think.

The guy he reminds me a lot of is Santonio Holmes. The way they move and the way they catch the ball is very similar. Shorter guys who are long-striders despite yet still have very good short area quickness, body control and elusiveness. Holmes was 5'10.5 188 and ran a 4.35 at his pro day (which is really like a low 4.4 maybe high 4.3) which all matches up very closely to Kendall. It's mainly their movement and the way the elude tacklers that connected them in my head. Not to mention I believe has the capability of being a Santonio Holmes type player.

["youtube]I can't find a specific clip but I feel as if I've seen Santonio catch the ball just like this on more than one occasion.[/youtube"]

Iamcanadian 12-15-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2789829)
What about Mike Wallace? The speed is there and the ability to shake loose deep.

I think this is a far more solid comparison. Wright still has a lot to learn about route running so I cannot see the Smith or Holmes comparisons just yet.

rawdawg 12-15-2011 04:17 PM

Yeah, I like the Santonio Holmes and Santana Moss comparisons the most. Those 2 inches that Wallace has on him is a huge difference when talking about 6' vs. 5'10". And Steve Smith is as physical a WR as there has been in the NFL in the last decade. I just don't see that type of strength from Wright.

norcalgsr 12-15-2011 04:20 PM

Only recent WR that best compares to Steve Smith is Jacoby Ford. And Wright is a different kind of WR from Ford.