Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Draft needs remain the same after playoff game (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50447)

FootballGod 01-07-2012 07:25 PM

Draft needs remain the same after playoff game
 
The draft needs stay the same after this game. At least our weaknesses beat us today and not our strengths, if you get what I am saying.

OG: Livings got Dalton killed again tonight. Dalton did not play well but those balls don't get knocked down if he the player is not right in his face.

Safety: Crocker is dead to me. That is all I have to say.

CB: Pacman is nothing more than a nickle back. Leon Hall might never be the same. We need a #2 CB opposite of Hall.

RB: Benson is not dynamic enough to run behind this line or in the WCO.

Like I said, this game just solidified all of our shortcomings. I think the top four needs are fairly clean at this point.

Pat Sims 90 01-08-2012 01:02 AM

At this point it does not matter who they get if they keep Marvin Lewis. With the Bengals looking like they will lose Zimmer and Gruden, Lewis won't have coordinators to make him look good.

StripedWalrus 01-08-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootballGod (Post 2815013)
The draft needs stay the same after this game. At least our weaknesses beat us today and not our strengths, if you get what I am saying.

OG: Livings got Dalton killed again tonight. Dalton did not play well but those balls don't get knocked down if he the player is not right in his face.

Safety: Crocker is dead to me. That is all I have to say.

CB: Pacman is nothing more than a nickle back. Leon Hall might never be the same. We need a #2 CB opposite of Hall.

RB: Benson is not dynamic enough to run behind this line or in the WCO.

Like I said, this game just solidified all of our shortcomings. I think the top four needs are fairly clean at this point.

Are you Bengalsman1983?

anyway...if the Bengals want to continue to be a playoff bound team they are going to have to spend in Free Agency...However I know thats a two way street...players may just not want to come here.

We need to secure the Oline first and no matter what, get someone besides Benson or Scott at RB. I know alot of people defend Scott...but to be honest he has shown me nothing but the occasional good run...nothing Spectacular. Hell if we even had a good line Benson would just run into the their backs and get 2 yards. Benson hasn't ever been able to find a hole.

Our needs are

LG
CB
S
RB
MLB
OLB

Why MLB and OLB? Because Rey Rey has played rather crappy in his NFL career. He plugs holes wrong and isn't all that dynamic in any way. Rivers hasnt been much better.

SC Igniter 01-08-2012 07:56 AM

It's pretty clear that our offense line and secondary needs upgrading. This covers our first 3 picks. I'm not sure if we just clean house in the backfield keeping only Leonard, our run game needs to be retooled so expect this to be addressed in FA & the draft. They need to figure out the reason why our running game is so anemic? Hopefully Sims comes back because we clearly missed him on rush defense. I think Lewis is happy with his LB's so i'm not expecting them to look this direction in the draft. My opinion they should consider a stout DT if they dont bring Sims back and add a WR in the mid rounds after covering our initial needs.

OG, S, CB, Rb, WR. Then go DT (if no Sims)

FootballGod 01-08-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StripedWalrus (Post 2815738)
Are you Bengalsman1983?

anyway...if the Bengals want to continue to be a playoff bound team they are going to have to spend in Free Agency...However I know thats a two way street...players may just not want to come here.

We need to secure the Oline first and no matter what, get someone besides Benson or Scott at RB. I know alot of people defend Scott...but to be honest he has shown me nothing but the occasional good run...nothing Spectacular. Hell if we even had a good line Benson would just run into the their backs and get 2 yards. Benson hasn't ever been able to find a hole.

Our needs are

LG
CB
S
RB
MLB
OLB

Why MLB and OLB? Because Rey Rey has played rather crappy in his NFL career. He plugs holes wrong and isn't all that dynamic in any way. Rivers hasnt been much better.

Yes, I am Bengalsman1983 on the Bengals.com message board. Who might you be?

StripedWalrus 01-08-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootballGod (Post 2816205)
Yes, I am Bengalsman1983 on the Bengals.com message board. Who might you be?

No one on there...i just happened to be reading over there and saw an identical post. =)

Bengalsrocket 01-09-2012 05:34 AM

I agree with all of the needs listed in this post, but I disagree with the priority.

Safety has to be the top priority. We need someone that can cover a tight end, and it's clear our linebackers cannot. Furthermore, we need someone who is able to create turn overs, specifically when team's attack the middle of the field on us.

Now from there, fixing the running game is a close second priority. There are many positions that need to be addressed for this to happen, but a halfback is 100% necessary. Cedric Benson gave us everything he had and I appreciate it, but it's time to move on. I specifically want someone elite at this position.

After that, interior linemen and a cornerback need to be addressed in the most efficient manner from there. We need to stay away from our typical "project" type players and get some immediate upgrades too.

Pat Sims 90 01-09-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootballGod (Post 2815013)
The draft needs stay the same after this game. At least our weaknesses beat us today and not our strengths, if you get what I am saying.

OG: Livings got Dalton killed again tonight. Dalton did not play well but those balls don't get knocked down if he the player is not right in his face.

Safety: Crocker is dead to me. That is all I have to say.

CB: Pacman is nothing more than a nickle back. Leon Hall might never be the same. We need a #2 CB opposite of Hall.

RB: Benson is not dynamic enough to run behind this line or in the WCO.

Like I said, this game just solidified all of our shortcomings. I think the top four needs are fairly clean at this point.

You missed some postions that helped in the loss.

C- Kyle Cook gets beat too much and if the DL has any pass rush moves forget about it.

DT- Outside of Atkins and Fanane nobody in this group can get after the QB plus Peko is overrated.

DE- Again outside of Dunlap nobody can get pressure on the QB.

OLB- Lawson sucks in a 4-3 Howard is tackleing machine but can't cover anybody and Keith Rivers health is up in the air.

If the Bengals would go out and get some pass rushers it would make the secondary a lot better. Not saying that Secondary was good but the lack of pass rush in most games this year just exposed the secondary big time.

StripedWalrus 01-09-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 2818199)
You missed some postions that helped in the loss.

C- Kyle Cook gets beat too much and if the DL has any pass rush moves forget about it.

DT- Outside of Atkins and Fanane nobody in this group can get after the QB plus Peko is overrated.

DE- Again outside of Dunlap nobody can get pressure on the QB.

OLB- Lawson sucks in a 4-3 Howard is tackleing machine but can't cover anybody and Keith Rivers health is up in the air.

If the Bengals would go out and get some pass rushers it would make the secondary a lot better. Not saying that Secondary was good but the lack of pass rush in most games this year just exposed the secondary big time.

On the other hand you could also say that if the Bengals secondary was better than the pass rush would be better too.

Here are the truths that have been posted in this entire thread

1. Our Linebackers cannot cover.
2. Atkins and Fanene are great at getting to the passer however other DT's are lackluster and Peko is overrated.
3. We need a dynamic player at safety.
4. Livings sucks
5. Dunlap is our only real DE that can get pressure on QB.
6. Maualuga cannot find the run lanes that open.
7. Our CB corp is depleted. It was once a strength that has become a need.
8. Benson is a far cry from being a dynamite back.

It will take more than 1 draft to fix all that. A splash will be needed in Free Agency.

Clarkpba 01-09-2012 06:53 PM

Well where do i start? For you guys who say Peko is overated i think you need to go back and pay attention to what his job is. Peko is not a pass rush DT he is a run stuffer which he does very well. Atkins and Peko make a great combination in the middle of a 4-3 defense. If both DT rush the passer it leaves the middle wide open against the run. If the Bengals bring back Sims they are beyond set in DT spot.

At LB there are a few questions there. Maualuga can be a very good Middle backer if he can learn some control. He tries to make the big play every down which has led to him being out of position more then a few times. I feel some of that comes from spending a year at outside backer. If Zimmer stays on board and coaches him up he will be fine. Getting Rivers back will be like drafting a top outside backer. Hopefully Moch can get over his health issues and be the stud we all hoped he would be when he was drafted last year.

As for Defense the biggest need is at safety. Nelson takes more chances then Maualuga which is hard to believe but he does. Crocker is a waste of a roster spot and there was a reason 2 other teams cut him before he ended up in Cinci. Lets face it there has to be an upgrade there this offseason. Sands and Mays may turn into solid players but i have a hard time seeing either becoming all-pros. Mays has the physical talent to be a stud SS but not sure he has the ability upstairs to be a star. Sands is an unknown at this point really with his lack of field time.

Now on the offensive side Guard is a need obviously. Williams is getting up there in age and Livings isn't anything to write home about.

RB could use an upgrade but i think if the guard spot is taken care of it will help out the running game.

WR is a question mark simply because Simpson's status for next year isn't known yet. Of course getting Shipley back is going to be great for the slot position but you still need that number 2 guy opposite of Green.

Pat Sims 90 01-09-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkpba (Post 2818794)
Well where do i start? For you guys who say Peko is overated i think you need to go back and pay attention to what his job is. Peko is not a pass rush DT he is a run stuffer which he does very well. Atkins and Peko make a great combination in the middle of a 4-3 defense. If both DT rush the passer it leaves the middle wide open against the run. If the Bengals bring back Sims they are beyond set in DT spot.

At LB there are a few questions there. Maualuga can be a very good Middle backer if he can learn some control. He tries to make the big play every down which has led to him being out of position more then a few times. I feel some of that comes from spending a year at outside backer. If Zimmer stays on board and coaches him up he will be fine. Getting Rivers back will be like drafting a top outside backer. Hopefully Moch can get over his health issues and be the stud we all hoped he would be when he was drafted last year.

As for Defense the biggest need is at safety. Nelson takes more chances then Maualuga which is hard to believe but he does. Crocker is a waste of a roster spot and there was a reason 2 other teams cut him before he ended up in Cinci. Lets face it there has to be an upgrade there this offseason. Sands and Mays may turn into solid players but i have a hard time seeing either becoming all-pros. Mays has the physical talent to be a stud SS but not sure he has the ability upstairs to be a star. Sands is an unknown at this point really with his lack of field time.

Now on the offensive side Guard is a need obviously. Williams is getting up there in age and Livings isn't anything to write home about.

RB could use an upgrade but i think if the guard spot is taken care of it will help out the running game.

WR is a question mark simply because Simpson's status for next year isn't known yet. Of course getting Shipley back is going to be great for the slot position but you still need that number 2 guy opposite of Green.

When Peko acutally plays a good interior OL he sucks. He sucks at eating up blocks and gets taken out of the play alot. If you want evidence of it just watch the Houston game that OL destroyed Peko.

Getting Rivers won't fix the LB problem he can't stay healthy he has yet to play a full season.

Mays and Sands are basically the same player one of them should be cut to get a backup Safety that does not suck in coverage.

Boling more then likley the Future at RG as long as he get stronger.

The Bengals need a All of Round back. Benson and Scott suck in the passing game nobody is afraid of them catching the ball and do anything with it.

If nothing has been filed yet against Simpson i can't see anything really happening. Sam Hurd got caught way later then Simpson and he is already be indited.

SC Igniter 01-10-2012 04:48 PM

I just don't see us taking a LB or a DT in the early rounds. You can say that these areas need to be upgraded that need to be addressed, but not over S, CB, OG and RB.

themaninblack 01-20-2012 06:09 PM

The Peko hate on here is astounding IMO. It takes more than just DL to defend the run I hope you realize that? Hard to look good when your MLB is absolutely atrocious at maintaining gap responsibility. Hell, even Geno got blown off the ball a couple of times in that Houston game. It happens to the even the very best at times, believe it or not.

I think Luga can end up being a good player but some of the mistakes he made this year were unbelievable.

DT might be the very last spot on this team we should even consider drafting someone before the 4th round unless Sims can't come back for some reason. I don't even think we should draft a DE early either considering there is probably no one in this draft worth it where we draft. Add to that that Frostee had a hell of a year and Dunlap and MJ are both young players with tons of ability and potential.

And if you don't think getting Rivers back will be beneficial you are just downright delusional. I'm not saying he's the savior or anything but it will definitely help us. Manny Lawson is absolutely terrible.

Clarkpba 01-20-2012 07:24 PM

I'm glad to see someone actually agrees with me and isn't paranoid and freaking out over a few bad plays. It was just last year all the Bengal fans were throwing a fit that Peko doesn't get the credit he deserves and is so under rated. How does he go from under rated to terrible and not a fit at all in one season?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.