Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   3-4 Pass Rush (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50648)

max 01-20-2012 06:12 PM

3-4 Pass Rush

if your team already has a sackmaster at OLB
but no one else can put pressure on the QB

would you draft another pass rushing OLB to
play the other side, or a pass rushing DE?

thanks in advance

phlysac 01-20-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 2834057)
if your team already has a sackmaster at OLB
but no one else can put pressure on the QB

would you draft another pass rushing OLB to
play the other side, or a pass rushing DE?

thanks in advance

It depends on the the type of 3-4 you are running. Not many odd-front defenses expect or get QB pressure from their DE's. If the philosophy of your front-3 is standard, your DE's would occupy blockers in order for your OLB's to get pressure.

So, in most cases, if the goal is pressuring the QB, adding an OLB seems most logical.

SuperPacker 01-21-2012 08:30 AM

Get the OLB first, but both are important. The Pakcers lost Cullen Jenkins, there only pass rushing DE on the team and everyones sack numbers went down. Matthews only got 6, BJ Raji was less effective and Erik Walden went back to being crap.

The key is probably getting two top OLB's and a top DE. If you have them all you'll be a great 3-4 defense.

Babylon 01-21-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlysac (Post 2834098)
It depends on the the type of 3-4 you are running. Not many odd-front defenses expect or get QB pressure from their DE's. If the philosophy of your front-3 is standard, your DE's would occupy blockers in order for your OLB's to get pressure.

So, in most cases, if the goal is pressuring the QB, adding an OLB seems most logical.

Come on Phlsac, that one was teed up for you about as sweet as it gets. Surprised you didnt say "you have an Aldon Smith at OLB your next move is to get a guy like Justin Smith to get pressure on the QB".

descendency 01-21-2012 01:30 PM

I'd draft the biggest upgrade I could get.

conventional wisdom says that's probably a 34 DE, especially if his name is Aaron Smith or Richard Seymour.

Lil Quip 01-21-2012 02:14 PM

If it is a team like the Pats, you run with three big classic linemen, and two 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE. Right now we are running with Nink/Anderson. It seems like we basically run a 3-4 4-3 5-2 mishmash. Luckily for us, that outside rusher can be a big guy, not necessarily the 3-4 250 lb kind of guy.

If you run the more common 3-4, you can't really go wrong with getting either a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB.

phlysac 01-21-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2834583)
Come on Phlsac, that one was teed up for you about as sweet as it gets. Surprised you didnt say "you have an Aldon Smith at OLB your next move is to get a guy like Justin Smith to get pressure on the QB".

It's true, but Justin Smith is an exception as far as pressures from a 5-Tech, and believe it or not, I'm an exception in that I actually try to not base all of my opinions on homeristic thoughts ;P