Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Prospects with Character Red Flags (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50658)

Matthew Jones 01-21-2012 03:46 AM

Prospects with Character Red Flags

Some of the notable prospects with character flags:

RB Dan Herron, Ohio St. - suspension (improper benefits)

RB LaMichael James, Oregon* - arrest (domestic violence)

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.* - arrest (DUI)

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma - arrest (stealing gasoline)

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - arrests (alcohol/DUI)

WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina* - weight/work ethic

WR DeVier Posey, Ohio St. - suspension (improper benefits)

OT Mike Adams, Ohio St. - suspension (improper benefits)

DT Devon Still, Penn St. - motor/passion

DT Billy Winn, Boise St. - motor

DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina - motor/passion

DE Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma* - academics

LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.* - anger management/maturity/weight

CB Jamell Fleming, Oklahoma - academics

CB Cliff Harris, Oregon* - arrests (marijuana/speeding)/dismissed from Oregon

CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama - arrests (marijuana)/dismissed from Florida

CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana - arrest

CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama* - arrest (marijuana)

FS Mark Barron, Alabama - arrest (obstruction)

GatorsBullsFan 01-21-2012 08:18 AM

I know my jags are projected by most people to get Coples but I don't want him at all...I think his football knowledge is low, his nose for the ball is low, and he gets man handled too much

underscore 01-21-2012 09:31 AM

Sorry, I don't understand why Devon Still is on this list.

Matthew Jones 01-21-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 2834430)

Still had a reputation for being lazy and taking lots of plays off prior to his senior season, in which he put everything together and made use of his considerable talents. NFL decision-makers will have to decide whether or not Still only produced because 2011 was a "contract year" similar to what Albert Haynesworth did in order to secure his big payday, or whether Still's senior campaign represents a newfound maturity.

Complex 01-21-2012 10:57 AM

Forgot Janzen Jackson

keylime_5 01-21-2012 11:04 AM

Herron and Posey got improper benefits, but I don't think you'll find any cleaner character kids in the entire draft, especially with Posey. AJ Green got improper benefits as well, he didn't have any character concerns any more than these guys. I guess it's a topic worth debate, but getting stuff in exchange for football equipment isn't as bad as it sounds. Terrelle Pryor was the ring leader in that scandal anyhow.

FUNBUNCHER 01-21-2012 11:18 AM

The worst character red flag for an NFL prospect IMO is work ethic and motor.

The other issues are about par for too many players in the NFL entering the league IMO.

I think Burfict has a chemical imbalance and may need psychiatric mood stabilizers to be a successful pro.
He sounds bipolar.

shylo3716 01-21-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2834512)
The worst character red flag for an NFL prospect IMO is work ethic and motor.

The other issues are about par for too many players in the NFL entering the league IMO.

I think Burfict has a chemical imbalance and may need psychiatric mood stabilizers to be a successful pro.
He sounds bipolar.

Please link me to your best Burfict interview

raynman 01-21-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan (Post 2834402)
I know my jags are projected by most people to get Coples but I don't want him at all...I think his football knowledge is low, his nose for the ball is low, and he gets man handled too much

yeah, he's got a bad motor and work ethic and he's a sucky lockerroom presence. the talent is there, but once teams start looking at him and talking to teammates and coaches and tarheel insiders coples is going to slide. he's not very well respected. even tarheel fans i know don't like him. he's got bust written all over.
Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 2834430)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2834438)
Still had a reputation for being lazy and taking lots of plays off prior to his senior season, in which he put everything together and made use of his considerable talents. NFL decision-makers will have to decide whether or not Still only produced because 2011 was a "contract year" similar to what Albert Haynesworth did in order to secure his big payday, or whether Still's senior campaign represents a newfound maturity.

totally agreed. the thing that bothers me about still is that its just been this year that people have noticed his motor improving. what's so special about this year? it's a contract year.

his senior season just happens to be the season that he pulls his stuff together and improves his motor (even though i still see him as one who gets tired late in the game). to me that screams a player who will only really show up in a contract year.

not someone i want to take a risk on in the first round, esp. with a top 10 pick.

Brent 01-21-2012 11:53 AM

I doubt most NFL people care about college kids taking improper benefits.

Iamcanadian 01-21-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2834497)
Herron and Posey got improper benefits, but I don't think you'll find any cleaner character kids in the entire draft, especially with Posey. AJ Green got improper benefits as well, he didn't have any character concerns any more than these guys. I guess it's a topic worth debate, but getting stuff in exchange for football equipment isn't as bad as it sounds. Terrelle Pryor was the ring leader in that scandal anyhow.

I agree, pro teams don't care about this kind of event, it might even be a plus in their eyes.

Iamcanadian 01-21-2012 12:19 PM

Cordy Glenn and Ketechi Osemele have weight problems which pro scouts and GM's take quite seriously because they know an overweight prospect is very likely to gain weight at the next level, showed little commitment in college to getting in shape and is unlikely to perform at a top level for 4 quarters at the pro football level.
I could see both pay the price on draft day.

DeepThreat 01-21-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2834569)
I agree, pro teams don't care about this kind of event, it might even be a plus in their eyes.

How could it possibly be a plus? It may not be much of a negative, but it's definitely not a positive.

FUNBUNCHER 01-21-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2834516)
Please link me to your best Burfict interview

By 'sounds like', I meant descriptions of his behavior on the field.

Babylon 01-21-2012 12:45 PM

I think you're painting everyone with a broad brush here under the heading of character flags. My take is there is a lot that goes along with being a college student, especially a bigtime athlete at that. For me character issues would be repeat offenders, guys that throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs, that type of stuff. Saying a guy doesnt have a high motor or that he was involved in some sort of rules violation isnt going to move me too much if i like what i see in workouts and interviews.

Iamcanadian 01-21-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 2834576)
How could it possibly be a plus? It may not be much of a negative, but it's definitely not a positive.

They showed initiative in trying to get paid for what they do for their colleges. GM's aren't stupid, they know a lot of college players get paid under the table so it is no big deal to them if a college player wants to get paid and goes out and secures some income. Remember, a lot of these kids come from dirt poor families that have nothing. Their families can give them nothing so it would hardly surprise a GM that they tried to make some money when their colleges are taking in millions in revenue and giving them peanuts.
I'd bet that a lot of GM's would give them a plus for their initiative.

WhiteBread 01-21-2012 01:09 PM

Is Jeffery on this list because of "the picture"?

AntoinCD 01-21-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2834591)
I think you're painting everyone with a broad brush here under the heading of character flags. My take is there is a lot that goes along with being a college student, especially a bigtime athlete at that. For me character issues would be repeat offenders, guys that throw their girlfriends down a flight of stairs, that type of stuff. Saying a guy doesnt have a high motor or that he was involved in some sort of rules violation isnt going to move me too much if i like what i see in workouts and interviews.

I agree in sorts, though if I'm a GM, head coach or decision maker and my scouting department tells me that this guy is absolutely dominant...for 5 or 6 plays a game and just coasts the rest of the way I am going to have a hard time convincing myself he should be drafted highly. How can I pay him millions of dollars and then all of a sudden expect him to become a hard worker? Work ethic is not something that changes very easily, let alone when they have received their gauranteed money.

shylo3716 01-21-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 2834578)
By 'sounds like', I meant descriptions of his behavior on the field.

I still believe folks are over analyzing him as a headcase.

How does he sound in the interviews he took part of?
How does he handle himself off the field?

Those are the 2 deciding factors for me. I could care less about his demeanor on the field. I want that "Fire & Desire" in my middle. Hell if we had him plugged in our middle this year, that would have made a difference from being 8-8 for the season.

Iamcanadian 01-21-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBread (Post 2834629)
Is Jeffery on this list because of "the picture"?

He's on this list because it is a fact that he is playing out of shape and if he won't get in shape in college, what are the odds he will get into top shape at the pro level where it is so much more important.

WhiteBread 01-21-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2834647)
He's on this list because it is a fact that he is playing out of shape and if he won't get in shape in college, what are the odds he will get into top shape at the pro level where it is so much more important.

Fact? You have proof of this? Link? Anything other than a opinion that has no credibility?

Or again, is this just from a picture on the freaking internet?

Jeffery has always been big. He's even on record saying he never worked out in high school and couldn't even bench 150 pounds. He's up to 250 or so now.

Would you like a credible link for that?

underscore 01-21-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2834438)

Yet Still still had a 2010 on par with what Jerel Worthy did this past season. Not bad for a guy taking plays off and being lazy.

Still's problem isn't a character "problem". It was simply growing up. He had a daughter. He finally realized that he had high NFL talent. He grew up. That's what college kids do. In fact, he was one of the trumpeting forces in keeping the team together through the Sandusky crap.

GaMeTiMe 01-21-2012 01:54 PM

Not really sure what the point of it is, but this thread is definitely a wide net over any type of character concern, small or large, so I really wouldn't nitpick with who belongs and who doesn't.

Honestly none of these guys are serious cases except for maybe Harris, and I guess in that case Janoris Jenkins, but in his case I think it's more stupidity and hopefully he can convince teams, or at least one team since that's really all it takes, that it was a learning experience and he has been progressing as a person since starting at North Alabama...Floyd is close but we're basically talking top-10 vs. top-20 with him.

descendency 01-21-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaMeTiMe (Post 2834678)
Honestly none of these guys are serious cases

That really depends on what you mean by serious.

Alshon Jeffery will be questioned by many. The "fat" picture wreaks of the kind of lazy work ethic that Mike Williams (Seattle's WR) had. Teams will be wary of that.

Matthew Jones 01-21-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteBread (Post 2834670)
Fact? You have proof of this? Link? Anything other than a opinion that has no credibility?

Or again, is this just from a picture on the freaking internet?

Jeffery has always been big. He's even on record saying he never worked out in high school and couldn't even bench 150 pounds. He's up to 250 or so now.

Would you like a credible link for that?

Why would you need a link to tell you someone is overweight when you can clearly see it with your own eyes? Most wide receivers don't have muffin tops. Speaking of opinions which have no credibility, try making more than four posts on the site before you start calling out long-time users.