Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Breaking News: Joe Paterno has died. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50670)

boknows34 01-22-2012 10:41 AM

Breaking News: Joe Paterno has died.

Paterno has died from lung cancer.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...h-cancer-fight

Hawk 01-22-2012 10:58 AM

Rip Paterno.

One of the greatest college football coaches our generation has seen.

killxswitch 01-22-2012 11:33 AM

RIP. Too bad his legacy was tarnished at the very end of his career. But that's how he'll be remembered.

TitanHope 01-22-2012 12:00 PM

Wasn't he afraid he'd die soon after coaching like Bear Bryant did? That only makes this sadder.

CashmoneyDrew 01-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 2835343)
Wasn't he afraid he'd die soon after coaching like Bear Bryant did? That only makes this sadder.

Yeah, it's strange how that works sometimes with people. Has me on edge with my own grandfather. Loves everything about cars and driving but recently had to stop because it was just getting to be too much of a risk.

RIP Joe Pa.

Ness 01-22-2012 01:43 PM

Great man with a great legacy. It's a shame these last two months had to turn out like this.

MetSox17 01-22-2012 01:46 PM

Sad to see him go out like this. RIP Joe Pa.

Canadian_draft_fan 01-22-2012 01:53 PM

Truly a sad day. His legacy tarnish by recent revelations. If you believe that a positive attitude helps overcome illness then the scandal "killed" Joe Pa.

CJSchneider 01-22-2012 01:57 PM

R.I.P. Joe Pa

Babylon 01-22-2012 02:18 PM

He was offered the Pats job back in 73 and i guess he almost took it before they gave it to Chuck Fairbanks. That may have altered the course of his life and maybe a lot of others.

You hate to see someone being remembered for what appears to be the one screwup he had in life.

Santonio10 01-22-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2835488)
He was offered the Pats job back in 73 and i guess he almost took it before they gave it to Chuck Fairbanks. That may have altered the course of his life and maybe a lot of others.

You hate to see someone being remembered for what appears to be the one screwup he had in life.

I think Paterno turned the job down to stay at PSU. R.I.P. Joe. You were my idol and will be sorely missed.

Complex 01-22-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 2835343)

Bobby Bowden was afraid of the same thing glad he is still alive.

robert pancake gallery 01-22-2012 08:08 PM

in hindsight, paterno's doctors said they wish they had done more

Don Vito 01-22-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery (Post 2836517)
in hindsight, paterno's doctors said they wish they had done more

Ooh maybe a little too soon

Don Vito 01-22-2012 08:16 PM

I always liked Paterno before the scandal but the reality is people will forever link him to Sandusky and the mess that is going on there. I know I just stated the obvious but the whole situation is just such an insane story.

diabsoule 01-22-2012 09:05 PM

RIP Joe Pa. You were an inspiration to countless others. You leave a tremendous legacy with your passing complete with a tragic ending.

StickSkills 01-23-2012 07:17 AM

I am a part of many college football boards, and as a die hard Penn State fan growing up, thank you very much for being respectful with his passing.

Rest in Peace, Joe.

CJSchneider 01-23-2012 07:16 PM

StickSkills 01-26-2012 12:30 AM

As I stood by Gate A of Beaver Stadium, where I had camped out for the past 2 years to watch Joe Paterno's team, I looked up into the sky to look at the helicoptors hovering over the spiritual center that Joe's casket was at. When I looked up, I saw a rainbow. The skies had been clear all day. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. After Noah's flood, the rainbow was God's promise to not destroy the Earth again. For a lot of us, it seemed like he almost did.

Also, I want to leave you with the legend of Mount Nittany. Last night was the first time I have ever read it.

Nit-A-Nee, which means "breaker of the wind," was an Indian maiden whose lover, Lion's Paw, was killed.

Nit-A-Nee enfolded him into her arms and carried his still erect body back to a place in the center of the Valley where she laid the strong Brave in his grave and build a mound of honor over his strength.

On the last night of the full moon, after she had finally raised the last of the soil and stone over his high mound, a terrible storm came up unleashing itself with thunder and lightening and the wailing of a horrendous wind from the depths of the earth. Every Indian in the Valley shuddered and all eyes were directed to the Indian Brave's high mound upon which the strong maiden Princess Nit-A-Nee was mounted with arms outstretched to touch the sources of the lightning bolts in the sky

Through the night they watched with awe as the Indian Brave's burial mound grew and rose into a Mountain penetrating the center of the big valley between the two legs of the Tussey and Bald Eagle Ridges. When the dawn finally came, a huge Mountain was found standing erect in the center of the Valley.

TimD 01-26-2012 10:06 AM

Watching the funeral procession on College Ave yesterday is a moment I will never forget as long as I live. The image of Sue Paterno waving from Joe's seat brought tears to my eyes. Say what you want about my school, but that couple contributed their hearts, souls, and savings to make it into one of the most respected state universities in the country.

r.i.p. joe. its crazy to think that i was apart of the last graduating class to witness 4 seasons of paterno proud penn state football. we are

K Train 01-26-2012 10:11 AM

take away a mans football and he has nothing to live for...RIP

StickSkills 01-26-2012 10:24 AM

I went to the Paterno Statue last night for the first time since the Candle Light Vigil. The item I left represents what Joe has given me and how I intend to carry on his legacy with my actions. Afterwards I took a photo on the statue and the items around it that people left.

Santonio10 01-26-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickSkills (Post 2841145)
I went to the Paterno Statue last night for the first time since the Candle Light Vigil. The item I left represents what Joe has given me and how I intend to carry on his legacy with my actions. Afterwards I took a photo on the statue and the items around it that people left.

Love it. I visited Joes statue in December while I was home from break. Watching the memorial was very moving today. Joe meant a lot to a lot of people. Joe taught me a lot about how to live my life and I will never forget. He fulfilled his promise to Penn State and deserves his rest. Thank you Joe!

Books will be written about his life but I don't even think a book can capture what a marvelous life he lived. I hope everyone sees Phil Knights entire speech.

Santonio10 01-26-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickSkills (Post 2841145)

Love it. I visited Joes statue in December while I was home from break. Watching the memorial was very moving today. Joe meant a lot to a lot of people. Joe taught me a lot about how to live my life and I will never forget. He fulfilled his promise to Penn State and deserves his rest. Thank you Joe!

Books will be written about his life but I don't even think a book can capture what a marvelous life he lived. I hope everyone sees Phil Knights entire speech.

yodabear 01-27-2012 08:07 PM

Phil Knight's speech was great. And addressed the scandal very nicely from a different view of the media. Particularly ESPN and radio. People who supported or whatever Paterno at the end were not hero worshiping or condoning raping children, we were saying u know there were a lot more people than JoePa that could have reported it and a lot of them BEFORE JoePa. I mean for God's sakes, how about McQueary. And Phil Knight's speech was great.