Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   This Year's Alualu (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50676)

onejayhawk 01-22-2012 03:53 PM

This Year's Alualu

When he was taken top 10, a lot of people blinked. However, it has proven a good pick.

Who would be candidates for a similar rise? To qualify, they have to be considered 2nd day material, be taken top half of the 1st round, and be worth it.

J

holt_bruce81 01-22-2012 03:57 PM

Why does there have to be one?

Jerel Worthy maybe?

DeepThreat 01-22-2012 03:59 PM

He's not considered a second-day pick, but I think Fletcher Cox could end up in the top 10.

ChiFan24 01-22-2012 04:04 PM

Are we sure Alualu was a good pick?

rfc17 01-22-2012 04:22 PM

Alualu had a great rookie season. played w/ a knee injury all year this season. too early to say it was a good or bad pick.

I dont know that there has to be a guy that goes from late 1st/early 2nd all the way to the top 10. But to play along, how bout Tannehill? Although I dont know he'll be worth it.

Mitchell 01-22-2012 05:40 PM

What are you talking about, Mayock totally expected/predicted the Alualu pick. ;)

bored of education 01-22-2012 05:42 PM

Poe or Cox? Maybe?

Matthew Jones 01-22-2012 05:42 PM

Kendall Wright might end up going that high.

FUNBUNCHER 01-22-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 2836219)

My thoughts too.

ChiFan24 01-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

I thought so, but no Senior Bowl is going to hurt.

bigbuc 01-22-2012 07:02 PM

Zach Brown... When this guy runs in the 4.5's he'll fly up the draft.

Bengalsrocket 01-22-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfc17 (Post 2835853)
Alualu had a great rookie season. played w/ a knee injury all year this season. too early to say it was a good or bad pick.

I dont know that there has to be a guy that goes from late 1st/early 2nd all the way to the top 10. But to play along, how bout Tannehill? Although I dont know he'll be worth it.

Almost the exact same situation I think.

McCoy and Suh went off the board, back to back and all the sudden anyone who wanted a DT (the Jaguars in this case) entered desperation mode and was forced to reach on a guy like Alualu.

After Luck and RG3 go, anyone who needs a QB will be forced into a similar desperation mode and be forced to reach on Tannehill.

FUNBUNCHER 01-23-2012 09:01 AM

I want to see SC's Melvin Ingram show at around 260# at the combine and really put up some impressive times.

He could be the first OLB off the board, possibly a top 15 pick.

onejayhawk 01-23-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket (Post 2836654)
Almost the exact same situation I think.

McCoy and Suh went off the board, back to back and all the sudden anyone who wanted a DT (the Jaguars in this case) entered desperation mode and was forced to reach on a guy like Alualu.

After Luck and RG3 go, anyone who needs a QB will be forced into a similar desperation mode and be forced to reach on Tannehill.

I know of several people that had Tannehill mocked top 15. He would not be a shock, even with the injury. Kendall Wright that high, in this WR crop, would be. Poe does fit the bill. I see him more as a latter 1st round pick, but he could jump up.

J

nepg 01-23-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 (Post 2835764)
Why does there have to be one?

Jerel Worthy maybe?

Because the two teams notorious for making such picks are in the Top 10 again (JAX & BUF).

nepg 01-23-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but not many people have him as a second round prospect at this point like Alualu was...

DiG 01-23-2012 11:07 AM

Really hard to anticipate these picks without being in the interview room and having access to the resources that nfl team scouts do. With that said, a couple of "day 2" prospects right now that I like would be Bruce Irvin, Chase Minnifield, and Dwayne Allen.

the_dark_knight 01-23-2012 11:13 AM

I really get sick of the "this year's X" threads. It's like, there's not one of those every year. Al Davis is dead so you hopefully will see much better drafting from the Raiders, that eliminates that portion of the equation. But it's not like every year there's someone who's going to be like Alualu. He came in had a great rookie year, played hurt on a poor team this year so declined a bit statistically, but he's a good player.

He was severely undervalued by draftniks, personally I had him in the first round anyway, not top 10 but I had him top 20 for me. He fits so well in so many schemes and he's got all the tools to get even better. He showed far more consistency to me than some of the other DTs people were talking about Brian Price for instance, who always is on the ground playing with poor balance and leverage. Alu has proven already that he was worth the pick.

Would you like to see him recover and have quite a few more big years, absolutely, but truthfully if it weren't for Suh you'd have heard more about him. Plus J-Ville gets no media love at all. I think in a re-draft they'd be happy to get him in the same position.

patriots21 01-23-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

A lot of mocks have Wright going to the Jags, so it wouldn't be very unexpected.

RWills 01-23-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

I agree totally, legit speed WR fly up the charts the night before the draft.

Jax will make him top 10

PossibleCabbage 01-23-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWills (Post 2838114)
I agree totally, legit speed WR fly up the charts the night before the draft.

I don't think anybody has ever "flown up a draft board the night before the draft." Generally, in the business, draft boards are finished before the combine, revised after the combine, and then re-revised in the intervening weeks. Generally, the trend is for guys to move closer to their pre-combine position during the draft-lead up.

"Flying up draft boards" is just media speak for "we are getting new information from reliable sources" not actually an indication of teams changing their mind.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are teams who already have Kendall Wright as a top 10 prospect (at least one team probably has him above Blackmon).

Leon Sandcastle 01-24-2012 02:24 PM

Vinny Curry.

A Perfect Score 01-24-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Right (Post 2839320)
Vinny Curry.

I'll take Bruce Irvin 10/10 times over Curry. I think Irvin makes a huge jump on draft day...Could go Top 15-20 all things considered.

TACKLE 01-24-2012 03:32 PM

I'm not sure why people are naming guys who are pretty much consensus first rounders right now.

A 2nd/3rd round prospect who could be a solid first round pick....I could see Derek Wolfe possibly being that guy for a 34 team looking for a proven 5-tech.

*hindsight edit on a bumped thread: nope, not wolfe. was reaching too much on that one.

Abaddon 01-24-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onejayhawk (Post 2835756)
When he was taken top 10, a lot of people blinked. However, it has proven a good pick.

Who would be candidates for a similar rise? To qualify, they have to be considered 2nd day material, be taken top half of the 1st round, and be worth it.

J

Who had Alualu as a 2nd day pick? lolthem