Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50736)

JohnCandy 01-27-2012 04:16 PM

Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia

After watching the Senior Bowl I came away impressed by Cordy Glenn. He showed some really good movement skills and feet in pass protection and managed to hold up at LT in many reps.

What are people's opinions of Glenn?

Can Cordy Glenn play RT in the NFL?

Is he Shawn Andrews?

SuperPacker 01-27-2012 04:19 PM

I think Glenn is going to be a very good player! He'll probably come in and be a solid starter straight away.

scottyboy 01-27-2012 04:33 PM

i'm pissed that now he probably won't last to the giants

JohnCandy 01-27-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 2842374)
i'm pissed that now he probably won't last to the giants

Do you think he can play RT?

keylime_5 01-27-2012 04:44 PM

I would put him at guard and only play him at RT if injuries dictated that it's best for the team....but long term he is an OG all the way IMO. That is his best position to become a pro bowl caliber blocker. He wouldn't be as good on the outside as he would inside.

Iamcanadian 01-27-2012 05:57 PM

I still have some serious doubts about Glenn. Even at 346lbs., he would be one of the biggest linemen in the NFL and I think you can expect him to gain possibly another 20lbs.

Sure, he looked excellent in the drills at the Senior Bowl but how long can he play at that level without being in top shape. Is he just a 3 quarter player who will have nothing left when the 4th quarter arrives.

It is my experience that linemen like Glenn fall on draft day because pro GM's will question his commitment to stay in shape. People see his size and think that it is solid but there are very few OL in the NFL playing solid football at that weight.

He reminds me of another Georgia All-American OLman, Max Jean-Gillis
6'3", 356 who was highly touted till draft day when he fell to round 4 and has been nothing but a backup his whole career.

You'd be amazed at how many large college linemen flop because they have zero commitment to staying in shape.

JohnCandy 01-27-2012 06:10 PM

He reminds me of Shawn Andrews.

Max Jean-Gilles was always fat. I thought that like Marcus Cannon last season Glenn carried 350lbs. about as well as a man could.

PossibleCabbage 01-27-2012 07:08 PM

I think Glenn has a worse chance of playing outside in the NFL than Osemele, and both are best suited to playing guard.

Glenn can engulf people, but he's a waist bender, his pad level is terrible, and he really lacks the range you need to protect the edge in the NFL.

RaiderNation 01-27-2012 07:18 PM

I still don't like the idea of LT, I think speedy pass rushers will tear him up in the NFL. RT/OG is where he should go. If he plays well in the game and tests well at the combine he should be a late 1st round pick.

SenorGato 01-27-2012 09:48 PM

Underrated or maybe just forgotten by the newer, shinier toys out there. Glenn is a nasty f'n player man...one of my favorites in this draft. Might be a better T than a G in the pros, and might make it as a LT.

I think he's a sleeper option for the Jets at 16. From there he'll take the RT job and the Jets go back to having the best OL in the league.

Lil Quip 01-27-2012 10:22 PM

Definitely sounds like he made the best of the Senior Bowl.

Unfortunately, it sounds like putting him at LT is a stretch. However it sounds like he could be fine at OG/OT. However, if you are going to spend a first rounder on him, you probably want a position set for him.

I think he worked his way up to a solid second rounder.

SenorGato 01-31-2012 04:47 AM

Really, what's the knock on this guy that some coaching can't fix? Not as quick as guys who aren't 340?

Basically, why isn't he a slam dunk first rounder?

OL I would take over Glenn for sure:

Kalil
Konz
DeCastro
Martin

Possibly:

Adams

Maybe:

Reiff

Reminds me of Damien Woody more than he does Shawn Andrews. I can see why Andrews would come up given his size, but Andrews only went 16 because he can be so lackadaisical. Andrews was as good an OL prospect as you can get at any position physically.

bitonti 01-31-2012 11:14 AM

Glenn is a first rounder. Probably to the Jets, Steelers or Ravens. And he's a servicable LT, a very good RT and a great guard. He is built like late career Damian Woody.

Lil Quip 01-31-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 2845057)
Really, what's the knock on this guy that some coaching can't fix? Not as quick as guys who aren't 340?

Basically, why isn't he a slam dunk first rounder?

OL I would take over Glenn for sure:

Kalil
Konz
DeCastro
Martin

Possibly:

Adams

Maybe:

Reiff

Reminds me of Damien Woody more than he does Shawn Andrews. I can see why Andrews would come up given his size, but Andrews only went 16 because he can be so lackadaisical. Andrews was as good an OL prospect as you can get at any position physically.

I think he could rise to the first. I think it really depends on if there is a run on linemen. If we see two tackles and DeCastro by the middle of the first, he will get some looks. Late first round picks are a great way to pick up some line talent. There are a few top teams that would really like some o line talent. I think Pitt looks long and hard at o line.

Iamcanadian 01-31-2012 11:36 AM

There are approximately 288 OG's and OT's in the NFL, 14 of them weigh 340lbs or more. That is about 5% of NFL OLmen minus OC's. Of those 14, at least 5 or 6 are in the 6'7"-6'8" range and only 1 is anywhere near an All Pro rating.
Glenn is 6'51/2", 346lbs. He is most likely to play OG at the next level or possibly RT. By NFL standards he is a fat man carrying way too much weight and likely to add 15-20lbs. after he enters the league. He has a 3/10's of 1% chance to be a star.
Personally, I cannot see a team drafting him in round 1 and I can see a career where he is nothing more than a journeyman if he cannot get control of his weight.

SenorGato 01-31-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Quip (Post 2845227)
I think he could rise to the first. I think it really depends on if there is a run on linemen. If we see two tackles and DeCastro by the middle of the first, he will get some looks. Late first round picks are a great way to pick up some line talent. There are a few top teams that would really like some o line talent. I think Pitt looks long and hard at o line.

Then he's a first...When is there not a run on OL these days?

Quote:

There are approximately 288 OG's and OT's in the NFL, 14 of them weigh 340lbs or more. That is about 5% of NFL OLmen minus OC's. Of those 14, at least 5 or 6 are in the 6'7"-6'8" range and only 1 is anywhere near an All Pro rating.
Glenn is 6'51/2", 346lbs. He is most likely to play OG at the next level or possibly RT. By NFL standards he is a fat man carrying way too much weight and likely to add 15-20lbs. after he enters the league. He has a 3/10's of 1% chance to be a star.
Personally, I cannot see a team drafting him in round 1 and I can see a career where he is nothing more than a journeyman if he cannot get control of his weight.
Couple things:

Why the assumption that he gains weight? Aging? What about the fact that he'd be a professional athlete with all the avenues of training and nutrition open to an athlete?

By NFL standards Haloti Ngata was a fat man carrying too much and was likely to add 15-20 pounds...Vince Wilfork....there's probably more...Look how that turned out.

JohnCandy 02-16-2012 11:54 AM

What do we make of Glenn being listed by Mayock as a top 5 OT in the draft where he was previously an OG.

Does this mean that Mayock sees LT potential in Glenn? I would be suprised if he ranked a RT in the top 5.

K Train 02-16-2012 11:58 AM

The way he carries his weight reminds me of marcus cannon last year. I dont think hes gonna blow up and eat himself out of the league, the only problem with a 340 pound guard is they have a dominating stretch but wear down quickly in their careers.....leonard davis, shawn andrews come to mind.

i love him at guard, and i like that he has the feet to slide out to tackle if needed. full time tackle though, not so much

JohnCandy 02-16-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2861513)
The way he carries his weight reminds me of marcus cannon last year. I dont think hes gonna blow up and eat himself out of the league, the only problem with a 340 pound guard is they have a dominating stretch but wear down quickly in their careers.....leonard davis, shawn andrews come to mind.

i love him at guard, and i like that he has the feet to slide out to tackle if needed. full time tackle though, not so much

Versatility iis a huge plus with him.

I wonder what Mayock saw on tape to put him in the tackle group?

JohnCandy 02-20-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2845245)

Those are listed weights and are all bull ****.

Most NFL players are 10-20lbs heavier than they are listed at.

Jahri Evans is listed at 315lbs and if he is a Lbs under 330lbs. I will personally apologize to him.

duesouth 02-20-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2861519)
Versatility iis a huge plus with him.

I wonder what Mayock saw on tape to put him in the tackle group?

I think it would have been his Senior Bowl performance - don't know Mayock has watched much tape yet, he's been too busy with NFL commentary.

AntoinCD 02-20-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCandy (Post 2865467)
Those are listed weights and are all bull ****.

Most NFL players are 10-20lbs heavier than they are listed at.

Jahri Evans is listed at 315lbs and if he is a Lbs under 330lbs. I will personally apologize to him.

Vince Wilfork is listed at 320lbs and if anyone here thinks he plays at that weight then they are kidding themselves.

Big guys can play in the NFL for sure. Marcus Cannon has been brought up in the thread already. He is one of the heaviest listed players in the NFL and I would be confident to say he is probably one of the most athletic offensive linemen around.

Haloti Ngata is probably bordering around 340lbs and plays as either a 5 technique, 3 technique or a nose. He also drops into coverage.

The amount of guys who can do this are slim but that doesn't mean that Glenn can't

JohnCandy 02-20-2012 08:22 PM

National Football Post has Glenn at #9 overall.

9. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)
Had had some struggles in space as a tackle prospect, but in tighter areas where he can get his hands on linemen quickly as a guard he showcases the ability to dominate. Looks like a starting caliber OG early in his NFL career.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...epartment.html

Jakey 02-20-2012 08:39 PM

Probably would be my fave pick for the Steelers.

Duffman57 02-20-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 2865561)
Vince Wilfork is listed at 320lbs and if anyone here thinks he plays at that weight then they are kidding themselves.

Big guys can play in the NFL for sure. Marcus Cannon has been brought up in the thread already. He is one of the heaviest listed players in the NFL and I would be confident to say he is probably one of the most athletic offensive linemen around.

Haloti Ngata is probably bordering around 340lbs and plays as either a 5 technique, 3 technique or a nose. He also drops into coverage.

The amount of guys who can do this are slim but that doesn't mean that Glenn can't

Word on the street is that in a mock combine (i dont really know what it is), he ran a 4.90. If he runs anything close to that, i will be amazed. But it would also have to put him into that group with Cannon/Ngata category.