Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How Does Kalil Compare to Past #1 OT Prospects? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50830)

Thunder&Lightning 02-03-2012 09:55 AM

How Does Kalil Compare to Past #1 OT Prospects?

How does Kalil compare to past #1 OT prospects?

As a Prospect.

2011: > Tyronn Smith
2010: > Russell Okung
2009: > Jason Smith
2008: < Jake Long
2007: = Joe Thomas
2006: < D'Brickshaw Ferguson

K Train 02-03-2012 10:03 AM

< brick and =Joe thomas?

Better than brick and not as good as joe imo.

also if i had any idea that tyron smith could keep his playing weight 305+ he would have been better than kalil imo...i was scared off by him playing at 285 at USC though

keylime_5 02-03-2012 10:08 AM

My rankings:

1-Thomas
2-Ferguson
3-Long
4-Kalil
5-J.Smith
6-T.Smith
7-Williams
8-Okung

similar to Long, not quite Ferguson or Thomas. Just barely better than the Smiths, better than Trent Williams and Russ Okung.

K Train 02-03-2012 10:26 AM

recent top guys id go

Thomas
Long
Kalil
Brick
Oher (dont judge me)
T. Smith
Okung
Williams
A. Smith
J. Smith

bitonti 02-03-2012 10:31 AM

honestly I think Kalil is being overrated because of his brother. don't get me wrong he's a very good prospect. he's not better than Brick. Because his brother is in the league he has less of a bust factor. it's the Mike/Maurkice Pouncey thing again.

JMO, Mike adams is the better football player.

DraftSavant 02-03-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Train (Post 2848147)
< brick and =Joe thomas?

Better than brick and not as good as joe imo.

also if i had any idea that tyron smith could keep his playing weight 305+ he would have been better than kalil imo...i was scared off by him playing at 285 at USC though

This. Although, I did see Smith get absolutely manhandled in a couple of games. More NFL ready than I thought he'd be, though.

I think Kalil's a significantly better prospect than D'Brick and Jason Smith were, but I was way lower on both of those guys than most.

(If you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of the "well, if he can keep gaining and maintaining more weight, he has great pass blocking potential!" left tackle prospects).

The thing that bugs me about him (Kalil) is that he dogs it a lot of the time. Has effort issues.

BeerBaron 02-03-2012 11:16 AM

I can say that him going at #2 or #3 is just fine and he would definitely be in at least the top half of those lists that have been flying around.

And speaking of weight issues, where did D'Brick finish the season at this year? I didn't catch any late season Jets games to see for myself.

A Perfect Score 02-03-2012 11:47 AM

I was very high on Thomas, Long, and Oher, and I'd have Kalil right there with all of them. I think the guy is an elite talent.

TankGiant 02-03-2012 12:01 PM

Ferguson was very overrated and still is. My Rankings:
1. Long
2. Thomas
3. Kalil
Drop off
4. Ferguson
5. Russel Okung
6. Jason Smith

SchizophrenicBatman 02-03-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitonti (Post 2848179)
honestly I think Kalil is being overrated because of his brother. don't get me wrong he's a very good prospect. he's not better than Brick. Because his brother is in the league he has less of a bust factor. it's the Mike/Maurkice Pouncey thing again.

this is what I was going to post right up until the mike adams part

i'd take reiff over kalil, though

PoopSandwich 02-03-2012 12:04 PM

Joe Thomas is god, he went fishing on draft day.

**** your list.

Long went first in a draft class with really no WOW talent in the top 3.

Joe Thomas went behind Jawalrus Russell and Megatron. Long and Thomas were pretty equal coming out of college me thinks.

brat316 02-03-2012 12:13 PM

Long and Thomas are at the top as prospects

SenorGato 02-03-2012 12:28 PM

As a prospect I think he's just below the now meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeega underrated D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Damn Thomas and Long for coming out in the drafts right after D'Brick and going 3 and 1 (D'Brick went 4). Has the potential to be an elite pass protector, but will never be anything more than an average to above average run blocker.

DraftSavant 02-03-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 2848283)
As a prospect I think he's on par with the now meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeega underrated D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Damn Thomas and Long for coming out in the drafts right after D'Brick and going 3 and 1 (D'Brick went 4). Has the potential to be an elite pass protector, but will never be anything more than an average to above average run blocker.

This is false. He is finally rated appropriately.

Complex 02-03-2012 12:32 PM

#2 or 3 behind Thomas and maybe Long.

Smash28Dash34 02-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitonti (Post 2848179)

The difference is Matt is 5 times the prospect Ryan was. Ryan fell to the 2nd because of size issues and Matt dosent have that same problem. Matt is an athletic freak and deserves to be the 1st non-qb taken. My opinion is he will be better than his brother after his first 3 years in the league. JMO

K Train 02-03-2012 12:40 PM

ryan kalil was an undersized C prospect that was thought to only be able to find a home in a purely zone blocking team...hes exceeded expectations by a lot (and allowed carolina to grace us with justin hartwigs presence for a few years) but matt is FAR superior of a prospect and plays a much more premium posistion obviously

bitonti 02-03-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smash28Dash34 (Post 2848303)
Matt is an athletic freak

people say this, and let's see if it's true. Indy workouts will tell the tale. It may or may not be true.

btw there are different ways to characterize physical freak. DBrick has the arms (wingspan) of a 7 foot tall NBA player. Jake Long can bench press a small car.

what about Kalil is so unique? i think Adams might be as rare or rarer an athlete.

SenorGato 02-03-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftSavant (Post 2848287)
This is false. He is finally rated appropriately.

Meh he's coming off his worst season and he's been stupid with penalties the past couple of seasons so I can see what you're saying. That said, I've never really seen Thomas or Long as significantly better just more touted.

BeerBaron 02-03-2012 12:47 PM

D'Brick also ends up weighing about as much as an NBA 7 footer by the end of the season too.

DraftSavant 02-03-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 2848322)
Meh he's coming off his worst season and he's been stupid with penalties the past couple of seasons so I can see what you're saying. That said, I've never really seen Thomas or Long as significantly better just more touted.

I wouldn't disagree with this, either.

I've said it quite often: there are no Walter Joneses, or Bosellis, or Ogdens anymore. We witnessed the golden era of left tackles. Hope you all enjoyed it, because it's unlikely we ever see that many elite HoF caliber players all physical freaks to boot) at one position as we did in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I mean, hell, a guy like Tarik Glenn (who was seen as a very good, but not quite elite tackle in that era) could arguably be better than anyone in the NFL right now.

SenorGato 02-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2848324)
D'Brick also ends up weighing about as much as an NBA 7 footer by the end of the season too.

Yeah if this was still 2007...This is part of why I call him underrated. I still read this knock despite his weight not being an issue since his first and second season. The guy is 28 and has spent 6 years getting NFL weight and strength training. The issues he has today (mostly stupid penalties from a veteran, highly drafted LT) have nothing to do with the weight issues he had at 22/23.

BeerBaron 02-03-2012 12:53 PM

He's no Orlando Pace, but Duane Brown is really, really ******* good now. That Texans o-line as a whole is really, really ******* good now. Somewhere David Carr would be pissed if his brain weren't total mush.

Babylon 02-03-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex (Post 2848291)
#2 or 3 behind Thomas and maybe Long.

I'd put Kalil behind Thomas but not sure if i'd have him rated lower than Long, who has trouble with quick guys on occasion.

Some of the knocks i hear about Kalil giving less than 100% i havent seen and i've watched about 90% of his games over two years.

DraftSavant 02-03-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2848341)
I'd put Kalil behind Thomas but not sure if i'd have him rated lower than Long, who has trouble with quick guys on occasion.

Some of the knocks i hear about Kalil giving less than 100% i havent seen and i've watched about 90% of his games over two years.

In almost every game I watch, he'll make his initial pop on his man in a run play and then go to the second level and just watch the runner.

I know BOE has seen this many times as well. It drives me crazy.