Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Who is "Boom or Bust" This Year? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50892)

bigbuc 02-06-2012 08:49 PM

Who is "Boom or Bust" This Year?

4 years ago it was Vernon Gholston... bust
3 years ago it was Aaron Maybin... bust that's making a come back.
2 years ago it was Jason Pierre-Paul... BOOM!
last year it was a tie Cam Newton and Juilo Jones... Both BOOM!

So who is it this year? And do they BOOM or bust.

TACKLE 02-06-2012 09:09 PM

RG3 and Dre Kirkpatrick are the first two names that come to mind.

edit: Vontaze Burfict. He could be the best MLB in the league or flake out after a couple years.

Brent 02-06-2012 09:10 PM

RGIII sounds like it.

Bulldogs 02-06-2012 09:36 PM

I like TACKLE's choices.

Pat Sims 90 02-06-2012 09:50 PM

Robert Griffin III is the highest ranked one.

MidwayMonster31 02-06-2012 10:13 PM

Quinton Coples should be in there. Michael Floyd might make the list too.

TACKLE 02-06-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwayMonster31 (Post 2851927)
Michael Floyd might make the list too.

I would say Alshon more so than Floyd. Higher ceiling but probably a lower floor.

Master Exploder 02-06-2012 11:12 PM

Vontaze Burfict is the first name that comes to my mind.

Also, I don't really think Julio Jones was a boom or bust type of player.

vidae 02-06-2012 11:37 PM

It's gotta be RG3, but I'm not going to bet against him.

ChiFan24 02-06-2012 11:43 PM

I thought Julio was a pretty sure thing.

This year, it's RG3 for sure.

Bald_81 02-07-2012 12:55 AM

Why not Alshon Jeffery?

dannyz 02-07-2012 01:17 AM

RGIII
Quinton Coples
Vontaze Burfict
Alshon Jeffery

Are all guys I could see either being really Good/Great Players or being big Bust (RGIII not really being a Bust but not Living up to the Potential and just being an Average QB for a Decade.)

tjsunstein 02-07-2012 01:27 AM

Whitney Mercilus wasn't mentioned yet, right?

Dan_Steele 02-07-2012 01:48 AM

I feel like there has been a fundamental flaw with the scouting of defensive ends over the past few years. I'm no genius, I can't figure out why there have been so many early misses either, but there is no denying that it has become a trend.

We've seen beastly college ends absolutely flop in the pros
- Courtney Bown (old school)
- Erasmus James
- Vernon Gholston
- Derrick Harvey
- Aaron Maybin
- Larry English
- Jamaal Anderson
- Adam Carriker
- Jarvis Moss

I think Coples has the potential to be that bust this year. Don't get me wrong, he also has the potential to be the most elite player in this draft. What he needs to prove is that he can be a hard worker, tough, consistent, and above all else, display a variety of pass rushing moves. All of the aforementioned is what the group above lacked.

Duffman57 02-07-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_Steele (Post 2852152)
I feel like there has been a fundamental flaw with the scouting of defensive ends over the past few years. I'm no genius, I can't figure out why there have been so many early misses either, but there is no denying that it has become a trend.

We've seen beastly college ends absolutely flop in the pros
- Courtney Bown (old school)
- Erasmus James
- Vernon Gholston
- Derrick Harvey
- Aaron Maybin
- Larry English
- Jamaal Anderson
- Adam Carriker
- Jarvis Moss

I think Coples has the potential to be that bust this year. Don't get me wrong, he also has the potential to be the most elite player in this draft. What he needs to prove is that he can be a hard worker, tough, consistent, and above all else, display a variety of pass rushing moves. All of the aforementioned is what the group above lacked.

Alot of those guys were more injury or even scheme busts than actual busts. Carriker, Anderson, and Harvey were scheme busts, i know English was a injury bust.

Maybin was a bad prospect all along, he was a one trick pony in college with zero lateral ability in the first place, let alone the fact that he couldn't keep on weight to save his life, was always a situational pass rusher.

And Gholston just flat out had no desire to play football, just strait up no passion for the game, didn't try. And he was stiffer than all hell.

No idea about Brown/James/Moss.

bitonti 02-07-2012 11:53 AM

janoris Jenkins is big time boom or bust. He's a top 20 physical talent with 7th round off the field problems. Burfict is also boom or bust.

Hurricanes25 02-07-2012 11:56 AM

RG3, Jeffery, Coples, Zach Brown...

BaLLiN 02-07-2012 11:57 AM

I'm going with RG3 based on his ceiling to floor imo. But I personally feel like Coples will bust.

AntoinCD 02-07-2012 12:47 PM

I don't agree with the guys who are saying Coples. I don't think he is ever going to be this dominant sack artist who will take the league by storm. I also don't think he will be absolutely terrible. I see him being a guy who at best may become someone who will occassionally get double digit sacks and at worst be a solid option as a base 43 DE who can slide inside on passing downs.

RG3 is my guess here too.

DraftSavant 02-07-2012 12:49 PM

Melvin Ingram.

nfldraftnerd 02-07-2012 06:53 PM

In all reality, every pick is boom or bust. Ultimately, it's the right fit that determines that. Of course, a player's work ethic, knowledge of the game, etc. matters, but a guy with all the talent in the world, not being utilized properly, is going to bust 100% of the time.

With that being said...

Call me crazy for going out on a limb, but Courtney Upshaw is a one dimensional prospect, and will bust if asked to do more than rush the passer.

FUNBUNCHER 02-07-2012 07:23 PM

Boom/bust to me means a player has negative traits significant enough to potentially outweigh his strengths as a player, so much so that his negative attributes could sabotage his pro career before it ever gets started.

Usually we're talking about character flaws and personality defects.

So why is RGIII for many a boom/bust type prospect??
His floor IMO is D Mac circa early 2000s. His ceiling is Steve Young.

I don't see him ever being just a flat out turd bomb in the NFL.

Coples and Alshon Jeffrey IMO are the top two boom/bust prospects in this draft.

bucfan12 02-07-2012 07:58 PM

Janoris Jenkins. Top 10 talent, but has some off-the field history.

Master Exploder 02-07-2012 08:16 PM

It's always going to be DE's that are the biggest boom or bust guys.

In most cases, you're either going to get a Mario Williams/Julius Peppers or you're going to get a Vernon Gholston/Derrick Harvey. It's simply just one of the hardest positions to project, but the chance of getting an elite guy usually out-weighs the risks.

Personally, I think Quinton Coples is a safer prospect than usual, but he certainly has plenty of concern. I think Whitney Mercilus is probably the riskier of all the top pass-rushers in this draft, but then you have guys like Jason Pierre-Paul and Aldon Smith, who also shared similar risks and they're both looking to be future studs in the league.

It's just not a safe position to draft, but it can be extremely rewarding if you hit on the right guy.

K Train 02-07-2012 08:20 PM

i think poe could be a good choice too